Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 18
Long time golfer getting back in

Hey guys -
I have been discin' for many years now in Austin and Houston - probably started 15 years ago. I took a few years off from playing and have now found the bug again but there are so many options for discs now I never heard of. I recently cleaned up my bag with new versions of my old favorites.

Looking for some disc advice for my bag. I probably have alot of "old school" plastic that I like to use so any recommendations on some of the new sparkly plastic would be great also.

I can probably get my Aviar 210-220, Mids 240-250, and Drivers - 320+ish.

Right now I am carrying:

Putters -
Omega AP - Supergrip approach - 174
Omega Supersoft - 170
Aviar P&A - 170
Pro Rhyno - 172

Mids -
XD P&A
KC Pro Roc - 175
Star Shark - 174
Cobra DX - 174
Buzz ESP - 177

Drivers -
Cyclone ESP -171
Cyclone - old and beat - 173
Cyclone Elite X - 172
Leopard - 175
Champion Leopard - 172
Champion Beast - 171
Polaris LS - 175
Polaris LS - 167
JLS - Millenium - 171

I got a pile of other stuff that never gets swapped in and is either back up or discs I am unfamiliar with: Pro D Cyclone 172, F-1 Prostyle Lightning 177, U-2 Prostyle Lightning 175, Viper (old +beat), KC Pro Eagle 172, Classic Roc 175, Polaris LS 171

Great Site! Been lurking for awhile now but plan on becoming an active participant - so any advice would be great!
Sponsored Links

Last edited by XAQMAN; 07-01-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to Animage
I'm the last person who should give advice, so I'll only comment on what I see.

Seems to be alot of overlap everywhere unless you have specific uses for many of those discs. I'm betting you could get rid of half the discs and not lose any shots.

One of the guys who can nitpick things will be around soon, but even as a novice I would go crazy with disc selection with that many similar molds.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 102
[strike][/strike]

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAQMAN View Post
I can probably get my Aviar 210-220, Mids 240-250, and Drivers - 320+ish.

Right now I am carrying:

Putters -
Omega AP - Supergrip approach - 174
Omega Supersoft - 170
Aviar P&A - 170
Pro Rhyno - 172 Try a Q-Mega instead

Mids -
XD P&A Try an Ion instead
KC Pro Roc - 175
Star Shark - 174
Cobra DX - 174 Try a Comet, Fuse, Q-MS, or Ontario Roc instead
Buzz ESP - 177

Drivers -
Cyclone ESP -171
Cyclone - old and beat - 173
Cyclone Elite X - 172
Leopard - 175
Champion Leopard - 172
Champion Beast - 171
Polaris LS - 175
Polaris LS - 167
JLS - Millenium - 171
Welcome to the site homey!

I was kind of harsh on your bag but I'll explain why. I struck out the discs that overlapped and were outnumbered by other molds, i.e. the Aviar got the axe in favor of the Omegas. The Leopards, JLS, and Polaris LS overlap a LOT. So I'd pick the ones you feel the most comfortable with and stick with it. The Cyclone is still a great driver, especially for your distances. If you want a driver that you don't have to put as much air under, an EagleX is a good choice.

To be the cool kid on your block, an Ion is a great approaching and driving putter that taking over courses by storm. I threw in a Q-Mega b/c it should perform capably over your Rhyno while having the familiarity of your Omegas. An Ion and Q-Mega will overlap though but I don't have a problem with two putter molds.

May the birdies flow your way amigo.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
If you're practicing in the field, throw all of them. It's actaully a really good asortment for someone in your power range.

On the course, I'd cut it way down:

Putters:
Omega OR Aviar

Mids:
Roc OR Shark OR Buzzz

Drivers:
Polaris OR Cyclone OR JLS OR Leopard

Feel free to carry as many backups of each mold you pick, though.

I'd also consider adding something overstable like a Z Predator, Champ Firebird, Champ Banshee, E Spirit or XXX. They'll be great for all sorts of hyzer shots and headwinds. Once you get good at those hyzer shots you'll find you use them a lot.

This stripped down bag will make disc selection a lot easier and it will force you to learn to throw your discs differently rather than relying on different discs for different shots. Not only will this help you learn line shaping skills which will give you an advantage, you'll probably also find ways to get more D out of your discs.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

Like I said I am just getting back into the game (with a vengence) so alot of those discs I havent even worked on playing with much. The Rhyno, JLS, and XD can easily come out of the bag. I havent tried to throw the Buzzz yet but got one because of all the love for it on these boards. I still have alot to learn about the new ratings systems manufacturers are using.

Putters -
I cant ditch the avair just yet (the omegas I use only for my <40 ft putts) and avair for 150-200 foot shots. Plan on dropping the Rhyno. Definately adding an ION next order. Omega Supersoft, Aviar, ION

Mids -
XD - outta there. Havent thrown the Buzzz yet but I get the feeling that between a Buzzz and a Roc I can cover most of my midrange shots. Hard to give up a Shark and a Cobra in the bag. Cobra seem to handle itself well approaching in the wind. Going to be tough to pull those two go-to discs out but I will try. Definately adding a Comet next order. ROC (2), Buzzz, Comet

Drivers -
JLS is outta there. I can see that the Cyclone, Leopard, and LS overlap significantly. That is excellent advice. Would you rather see one of each in the bag or 3 cyclones with various stages of wear? I am so comtortable with all of those discs - I guess it is because the fly so similarly.

It looks like I could use an overstable driver. I think I am going to add a Firebird or an Predator and drop the Leopards and JLS here. Cyclone (3), Polaris LS, Predator

I read a super useful post in another thread here regarding bag balancing - I found it helpful so mabye someone else will also:
Quote:
in general there is 7 or so slots that most golfers will want to fill in the bag (2 or 3 is recommended for beginners)

Overstable Driver (XXX,FB,Pred.etc)
Distance Driver (Destroyer,Nuke,Wraith.etc)
Moderately overstable driver (PD,OLF,Avenger,Starfire.etc)
Stable Control Driver (Stalker,TB,CD,Cyclone.etc)
Understable Driver (RR,Vision,A-SS,Valk.etc) or a beat version of one of the above
Stable Mid (Buzz,Roc,Core,Aftershock.etc)
Understable mid (beat version of your stable mid,Meteor,Comet,Stingray.etc)
Putter (you know what a god damn putter is)

It looks like all my drivers were Stable Control Drivers and I need to add some balance drivers. Any other ideas would be awesome - I dont like the faster discs. I am sort of unsure how Fade and Stability interact and affect the flight paths of discs or if they are completely unrelated. Back in my day we didnt have all these fancy "rating systems".......

Thanks again! This board rocks!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAQMAN View Post

Drivers -
JLS is outta there. I can see that the Cyclone, Leopard, and LS overlap significantly. That is excellent advice. Would you rather see one of each in the bag or 3 cyclones with various stages of wear?

It looks like all my drivers were Stable Control Drivers and I need to add some balance drivers. Any other ideas would be awesome - I dont like the faster discs. I am sort of unsure how Fade and Stability interact and affect the flight paths of discs or if they are completely unrelated. Back in my day we didnt have all these fancy "rating systems".......
There are two kinds of philosophical camps regarding that 1st question. A stable driver (i.e. Cyclone) in various wear can certainly cover all those shots. It really just boils down to knowing your discs. For example, I use a Champ Eagle-X as a stable driver, a Champ Eagle-L for turnovers, and a beat DX Eagle-X for hyzer-flips and other flippy shots. Which camp do I belong to? You could say that I use the same mold or you could disagree on the basis that Eagle-X's and L's are technically different enough to be different molds. So, blah, blah, blah.

RE: 2nd question.

I'm not sure what you mean by "balance" drivers. I like a severely O/S driver for OH and some FH, and FH rollers (xXx), and a severely flippy driver (Monarch), I consider these my "utility" drivers. I just throw various Eagles of different plastic type and wear for the bulk of my drives.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 AM

I am back! As I said before started playing a long time ago and took a 4 or 5 year break only playing a couple times a year. Now I got the bug again and am getting after it.

I have gone and bought a silly amount of new plastic and am trying to rework my bag since my previous post. I went with some of the suggestions and recommendations. Now I have a number of back-ups and a great line-up for field practice.

Starting to try out some different plastics. I love the FLX and the KC PRO - they just seem grippier in my hands. The ESP really seems slippery and when it is wet is terrible in my hands.

As I said, RHBH thrower, and, I am getting putters 220ish, Mids 250-270, and drivers 300-325ish. I think that Avenger is going 350-360 though. Not completely sure and need to get out on the 100 yard football field I guess. Post distances on my home course dont seem very accurate.

Anyway - here's the current bag - any rec's and comments would be appreciated again! I am sure I have alot of overlapping discs - anything to fill the gaps or letting me know what the gaps are would be awesome. It is hard to familiarize yourself with a bunch of new discs at the same time.

Drivers
-----------------

Basically threw only overstable - lower speed fairway drivers before. Considering discing up just a wee bit.

Avenger SS FLX 174g - Just added this to my bag from the discraft misprints - little faster than most of my "fairway" drivers. It flys so nice, grips so good, and is very accurate. Outdriving everything I have by 30+ft with this.
Cyclone X 172g - Will fly long and straight with a slight fade. Can make nice S-curve lines. My go-to tight line hyzer driver.
Cyclone D 172g -new - just added to try out the plastic
Polaris LS 167g - loved these for so long - staight as an arrow but might be replaced by the Avenger SS before long...
Leopard Champ 172g - new - all my older beat leopards were just anheisering right into the fkin ground. Fly great when they are new but die an early death. Mabye this one will last - if not I am off the leopards.
Viper DX 176g - The big heiser line disk and a straight shot with a big fade on the end.
Predator 169g - discraft misprint and recommended for my bag previously. Seems fairly similar to the Viper

Mids
-------------------

Trying out the Buzz and the Comet. Working them in for my second drives on casual rounds after driving with my ROC. Trying to get used to how they fly and see if I like them.

Roc KC Pro 175g - go to mid for everything. tight, straight, anny, hysers, mmmmmmm luv U
Buzzz Z 175g - Straight with a pretty strong fade at the end for a mid. Hysers better than the roc. Cant get this thing to hold an anny very well yet.
Comet Z 177g - Havent thrown much yet. Seems to hold lines nicely.
Cobra 178g - good shorter range windy approach disk

Putters
------------------

Got a pile of Omega SS and Aviars for the home practice. So those two arent going anywhere. Tried the ION a bit and didnt love it....

Aviar P&A 170g - More of a short range approach disk or driving putter for shorter holes.
Omega AP Super Grip 171g - Putter for everything straight withing 75 ft.
Pro Rhyno 172g - I am carrying this thing and not throwing it....been carrying it for weeks now...I need to try throwing it for once.....

Other Crap I can throw in:
Surge SS FLX 172g
Beast Champ 171g - was using this for big hyser lines like the viper but apparently I am using it way wrong lol.
Polaris LS - loved them for so long. me love u long time.
Cyclone's - back ups
IONs - didnt love these for "putting" under 50 ft. Have not tried driving with them much yet.
XD - to many mids and putters to really use this.
Buzzz'es - extras for field - still trying to learn
Roc's - Back ups - wouldnt mind carrying 2
Beat Leopards - bleh. one tree smack and these things never fly the same.

Last edited by XAQMAN; 07-27-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Par Member

My recommendations:

Avenger SS - max D and tailwinds
Cyclone - main stable control driver
Leopard - understable control driver
Predator - overstable control driver
Buzzz - main stable mid
Comet - understable mid

Then your putters. It seems you really like Aviars and Omega SS's, so definitely use them for your primary driving putter and putting putter respectively. The Rhino is an awesome overstable putter mold and could be very useful to you for hyzer/flex drives and spike approaches.

So... all important slots covered... you are good to go

My setup is really similar, except I am going extremely trimmed down to work on shaping shots with all stable stuff. Nate Doss X-Avenger, X-Cyclone, DX Shark, and S Wizard.

Last edited by SpyderPride; 07-27-2010 at 04:31 PM.