Old 07-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 13
Complete bag overhaul

I started getting serious about the game pretty recently, and was working with this: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=16371

Here is my update

Fairway Drivers:
DX Teebird 149g
Star Teebird 170g
Champion Teebird+ 170g
Star Leopard 167g

Mids
ESP Buzzz 176g
I keep a Stratus and a Shark lying around but I don't use them much.

Putters
2x DX Aviar 175g (Never want to lose one of these...)
Vibram Summit 168g

The plan as of now is to add Roadrunners, a Champion Leopard and a Z Buzzz. I've realized that I like having my favorite discs in just about every plastic. The Roadrunners are to replace my beat Archangel which I used to throw anhyzers and turnover shots. I have a Champion Beast and a DX Destroyer, but I don't think my form is quite good enough to take advantage of them yet. Should I add a distance driver other than the Roadrunners? A Valk maybe?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
How far do you drive the teebirds, Buzz and whichever putter you drive with?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Bogey Member

Well, driving with my Aviar isn't working very well, so I picked up a couple Wizards. I can get my Leopards and Teebirds out to 300+ and at least in the high 200's with a great deal of consistency now. The Buzzz goes about 30 feet shorter than the Teebird or Leopard on a given throw.

I should note that, just for kicks I picked up a Destroyer and Wraith for some practice throws and threw a couple of pretty long shots. At least longer than my average throws.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
I'd add a Banshee for headwinds and skippers. At your distance I'd add the Roadrunner over a Valk although your Leopard will probably go just as far as those. I'd add the Valk over the Destroyer or Wraith though.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Bogey Member

Yeah, I'm not planning on making any beefy drivers a permanent addition for quite some time. I've only really been playing since March. I did notice that I'm starting to turn my Star Teebird over a bit (but not the Champ), which I'd chalk up to OAT. I've also started to use the Summit as my go to putter and it is lights out. I have a Roadrunner and another Leopard on the way to go with my two Wizards.

The only other thing I've been looking for is an approach disc that will sink fast and settle easily. I don't know if Rhynos are meant for this kind of shot? The wizard and rhyno had similar numbers on discgolfcenter so I only picked the former.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 11
I don't normally post in these threads, but I guess there's exceptions to every rule. TB to RR sounds bad. Kind of like going from middle to low. Fire the shyte out of the Wraith, and Destroyer. Learn 'em. "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." a wise character once said. I don't mean this exactly to the word... but there is nothing wrong with aiming high.

You havn't been playing long, and have alot of room to learn... since you havn't been pressured too much into believing one thing over the other. However if your over 300 this soon in your game, with these discs, you can find 400 soon.

The Wraith is speed rated at 11, and fades at 3. I will bet you can learn this disc. The TB is rated slower than a RR, but the way I see it the RR's stability is for extreme beginners. The Wraith is one of the discs that took me to another level.

Mostly I'd like to know what grip you use to drive. I think this question is not asked enough, in these threads. And is very important.

I will end this with: I'll bet you can do even better with a 173-174 (or lighter) ESP Nuke. However I am partial to Discraft, these days.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peot View Post
Well, driving with my Aviar isn't working very well, so I picked up a couple Wizards. I can get my Leopards and Teebirds out to 300+ and at least in the high 200's with a great deal of consistency now. The Buzzz goes about 30 feet shorter than the Teebird or Leopard on a given throw.

I should note that, just for kicks I picked up a Destroyer and Wraith for some practice throws and threw a couple of pretty long shots. At least longer than my average throws.
I only threw Aviars for a month or two, and I had just started and had tons of OAT to work through, but I can still say I enjoyed driving with Wizards much more back then.

You seem like you have a good foundation. 250+ feet of distance with the Buzz is good D for how long you've been throwing.

As far as drivers I'd recommend sticking with the Leopard and Teebird for a while. I did not follow this advice. I went from using a Leopard as my friend suggested I buy, to picking up Firebirds, Wraiths, Destroyers and other discs that were too much for me. It was an unwise choice, so I recommend others stick with fairway drivers until getting closer to 340, 350' of consistent D. I know when I dropped the fast and overstable discs and went back to the Leopard, my distance and accuracy improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peot View Post
The only other thing I've been looking for is an approach disc that will sink fast and settle easily. I don't know if Rhynos are meant for this kind of shot? The wizard and rhyno had similar numbers on discgolfcenter so I only picked the former.
The Wizard has good glide. It's stable enough to handle wind very well despite this (I've seen 350' Wizard drives into headwinds), but it's not the best at dropping quickly. Rhynos aren't a bad choice for that. In my experience the champ ones were very stable, hard to turn over, and dropped quick. Pro's beat in to a straighter flying disc fairly quick when throwing a lot of drives and upshots with one. Pigs, Vibram Putter (VP), Zones and Spikes could work for that role too. For me, I use my Wizard or Magic for all approach shots and I find the glide more beneficial than detrimental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoazMobster View Post
The Wraith is speed rated at 11, and fades at 3. I will bet you can learn this disc. The TB is rated slower than a RR, but the way I see it the RR's stability is for extreme beginners. The Wraith is one of the discs that took me to another level.

I will end this with: I'll bet you can do even better with a 173-174 (or lighter) ESP Nuke. However I am partial to Discraft, these days.
I would have to disagree. Beginners will find the RR easier to make fly straight than a Destroyer, but neither is a great beginner disc. The RR can be thrown very far with a hyzer flip, and it's simply a monster D disc in a tailwind. It's great for long anhyzers and turnovers, something advanced players would find useful.

Also, while the Nuke might gain him a few feet of instant gratification distance, I think at this point in his game fairway drivers would be more beneficial to throw.

I don't mean this to be rude, but anyone throwing a TB 300' and turning it over sometimes has form issues that need worked out before they'll be able to control faster discs well enough to utilize them to their potential. That, or the TB is beat to hell or 150 class.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: LHBH
It all comes down to personal preference but I would add a Valkyrie before a RR if you already have a Leopard. I had all 3 and ended up removing the Roadrunner because any time I would have used it, I used my Leopard and found it to be more controllable without losing any distance.

Admitting my bias, I'm a huge fan of the Valkyrie. I like them 100x better than the RR or Beast both feel and flight-wise.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Bogey Member

To answer some of the question from the thread, I drive with a power grip, and the TBs aren't really beat at all. I have only really turned them over a couple times, but when I did they went much farther than my typical TB shot.

My biggest problems are having the confidence not to underthrow an approach (fade far in front) or underthrow a putt (hit basket), and in learning to drive nose down I have had quite a few worm burners lately. Other than that I feel pretty good about my game (and my bag), but I do welcome all of the suggestions.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Bogey Member

So additions

Star Roadrunner 168g
Z Buzzz 173g
Medium Wizard 172g
SS Wizard 172g

Finding pretty much every addition useful. I really like the Wizards for putting and have switched to them over the Summit, which is pretty much just a flippy/understable approach disc now. Thinking about trying Magics, and maybe a Stalker, but sticking with the Wizzes/TBs for now.

My biggest problem is just that I can't drive. I've been practicing endlessly, and can't get to 300' with any kind of consistency. The part that bothers me the most is that I am physically strong and athletic, so I am having a hard time accepting that I suck at driving. My discs do a few things.

1. Get turned over right into the ground
2. Slip out of my grip and right into the ground
3. Sail into the air, stall and fade (not as common for me anymore)
4. Decent drive

I don't think any additions to my bag will solve these problems. If only.