Old 07-19-2010, 02:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
I don't think any additions to my bag will solve these problems. If only.
You're correct. In fact I would recommend either playing a putter round or going to a field and practice driving with putters, specifically your Summit. Try to drive the Summit as far as you can. It will take some adjustment to control it on a distance line compared to what you'd typically throw, but it will help immensely, and quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peot View Post
My biggest problem is just that I can't drive. I've been practicing endlessly, and can't get to 300' with any kind of consistency. The part that bothers me the most is that I am physically strong and athletic, so I am having a hard time accepting that I suck at driving.
It's deceptive. I'm big and strong too, and learned early on I could outdrive all my friends by throwing an overstable driver like a Firebird with as much muscle as I could. Then I peaked my distance around 320-350 and never broke through until I realize that disc golf is not about how big or fit or muscular you are...it's about form. It's all about form. Being in good shape has it's benefits when playing a tourney, but it's not what lets you drive far.

Quote:
My discs do a few things.

1. Get turned over right into the ground
2. Slip out of my grip and right into the ground
3. Sail into the air, stall and fade (not as common for me anymore)
4. Decent drive
My guesses:

1. OAT
2. Accelerating too early possibly?
3. Sounds like you're throwing nose up when that happens

Basically distance does not come from muscle, it comes from rotational acceleration. Your body acts kind of like a top, in that you rotate away from your target during the x-step, then rotate back towards it and use the power generated from rotating your body around to drive the disc into flight. It's about snap, late acceleration and a clean release rather than using your arm muscles and trying to throw as hard as you can.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=18206 - This thread has some good videos to check out.