Disc Golf Store
Old 07-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Suggestions

I know I carry a lot of molds and a lot of discs, I have the bag space and the able body to carry this many so I likely will not cut down, but just looking for some constructive criticism.

Max Distance Drivers

175g Champ Destroyer (380ft) RHBH Headwind driver or RHFH max D.
173g Pro Katana (410ft) RHBH Max Distance Driver

Main Drivers

173g ESP Crush (320ft) RHFH main driver.
167g Elite Z Avenger (360ft) RHBH main driver
171g Elite Z Avenger (360ft) Back-up/calm headwinds/thick rough because the other avenger is tye-dyed.
172g Elite X Avenger (360ft) RHBH calm tailwind
175g Star SL (340ft) I know this overlaps with the Avengers, but I like it.
175g Pro SL This is my roller disc and I can roll it out to 440ft.
173g Elite Z Flick When I need to go hard right RHFH, vice versa for RHBH.

Fairway Drivers
175g DX Viper - Overstable Fairway Driver, like it for RHFH
175g Star Teebird (325ft) - Stable Fairway
170g Elite Z Express - Understable Fairway

Mids
175g Star Gator - Very overstable mid
175g Elite Z Wasp - Mildly overstable mid
177g ESP Buzzz (300ft) - Stable Mid-range
171g Discwing Transcend - Understable mid
166g DX Kite - Long turnover shots with no wind (have put it out to 320ft on a calm day)
175g Star Kite - Long turnovers with light wind.

Putters
169g Pro D Ringer - Side-arm approaches
172g Elite X Putt'r - Long range putting and "Go for" shots.
2x 173g Soft Ion (250ft) - My driving putter and my go to putter for actual putting.

Just some side notes. I realize the SL and Avengers overlap, but I kind of look at the SL as a max weight Avenger for predictable flight in moderate wind conditions. I know I am missing a truly understable distance driver and am listening for ideas on that. I know many people believe you can throw the same discs RHFH and RHBH, but I have had no such luck so I carry the discs I need to throw both ways. Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited by Jax11; 07-04-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 2
I agree, only certain discs (mostly overstable) switch well from BH to FH. HOWEVER it is a skill that must be learned either way.

I also suggest the discing down process. You'll probably add at least 50 feet to your drive, eliminate excess molds, and really learn what you work well with.

No matter what I suggest dropping Katana, I don't believe they are worth it... yet.

Also cut the multiple putters. I believe being intimately familiar with one putter will benefit you much more. Sounds like the Ions could easily do everything you'll need. Jump putts, driving, approach, FH, ect. The ions feel like they will more than work for FHing.

Maybe drop 2-3 mids. The Buzz wasp combo is popular but the transcend and Kite's are unnecessary. The Buzz can do everything they can, also I have a bias against the Kite.

So yeah. If you decide to disc down at all you'll find you have more low speed molds and fewer highspeeds.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
It seems like you have all the bases covered.

A question for you: How do the Viper and Flick compare? Never thrown a Flick before.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Eagle Member

The Flick is a lot faster and will start to fade for me a lot earlier, but because of its speed it flies further. On a bad throw where I accidentally roll my wrist I can turn a some-what beat DX Viper. I have never been able to turn over a Flick, you have to have a lot of OAT to turn it and it handles headwinds really well.

The Flick feels a lot different in my hand though as well. The Viper has a deeper rim almost like a mid-range and a Flick has a really shallow rim. It doesn't bother me either way but I know some people do not like the shallow-ness of the rim.

If you HAVE to go right (RHFH) or left (RHBH) it is a good disc to have. I have seen people that throw them for their main FH driver, but personally I believe they are too overstable.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Gotcha, that's mainly what I was wondering is do you FH flex a Flick like a Viper - in which case I'd say pick whichever one is more comfortable in the hand - but it seems they serve different purposes so if you don't mind the extra weight carry 'em both.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
I would say drop the Crush. You can get the same effect with a max weight Z or ESP Avenger. Or you could just power down your Destroyer. Drop the SL's also, you can beat up an X Avenger to roll or get an Avenger SS.

I would say drop the Viper also since you have a Flick and a Gator. For your mids I would say cut it down to Gator/Wasp/Buzzz. or you could keep the Viper and drop the Gator. I think the best solution would be drop the Flick and the Gator and just keep the Viper.

I say just stick with the ION. drop the other two.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Kites are rubbish IMO. Get a Comet/Fuse/QMS/beat to hell Buzzz instead. Not a fan of Star Teebirds, I think they're much better in Champ. Drop the Putt'r in favor of the Ion. That's a sh!t ton of "main drivers." I'd try to get more distance out of teebird before I threw so many of them. I'd try to cut some of those molds down.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Eagle Member

May I ask what is with all the hate for the Kite? I have found it to be a nice Hyzer flip disc and I can get them to hold a straight line.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax11 View Post
May I ask what is with all the hate for the Kite? I have found it to be a nice Hyzer flip disc and I can get them to hold a straight line.
You may. They're incredibly flippy and what they can do is easily performed by a putter.