Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Obvious Overlap/Changes to My Bag

I've been playing off and on for the last couple of years and have recently started trying out new plastic after having mostly the same stuff in my bag for a while. Primarily RHBH but I've added a thumber to my repertoire lately. Forehand is still a travesty. Here's a bag rundown:

Drivers:

KC Pro Eagle 174g - I found this disc, it's a little beat up, and I wasn't super psyched as I'd tried a DX Eagle in the past and it didn't wow me. Then I threw it. This is now my go-to straight-line driver. I still don't have consistent technique off of the tee, but this is my most consistent distance driver with a predictable fade. Also my favorite thumber and roller disc.

Champ Leopard 175g - My driver of choice for a while now. At one point I was carrying three Leopards in various weights/plastics. This has just recently been unseated as my primary driver by the Eagle mentioned above. I've also got a 171 DX Leopard in my bag for throwaway shots/water. It hasn't been beaten up much, but it seems to turn right easier than some of my other discs, but not consistently. Like I said, my technique isn't great.

#3 Lightning 174g - Another found disc. It had been forsaken for awhile and is beat all to hell. Floppy like a bunny and it turns right like a Republican at an NRA convention. Found it very handy lately.

Champ Beast 167g - Given to me by my little brother who didn't like it. I seem to get the same lengths for it as I do the Eagle but with much more fade. I haven't had this long and I think it's probably too much disc for me. Also the weight makes it difficult in the Oklahoma wind.

DX Banshee 165g - One of my first purchases, but haven't used it much. Bought it the same time as my first Leopard and it became the ugly stepchild. Keep it in the bag for tighter woods shots and as another throwaway. Seems to get slightly less distance than my Champ Leopard. Weight can also be a problem in the wind.

Discmania Hysteria 175g - Bought on a whim the other day with some disposable income. Methinks it's another Beast at this point.

A note on my drives: I can't get a comfortable four-finger power grip due to a steel pin in my right ring finger. It basically keeps my last knuckle joint from fully pivoting so when I try the 4-finger, the pinkie wants to slide under the pad of my ring and it just feels awkward/congested.

Mid-Range:

DX Goblin 172g - My first mid-range that I had any success with as far as predictability. Was my primary disc for all situations when I started. It's seen better days, but is comfortable.

DX Shark 171g - Had for a while, but never really used it in favor of the Goblin. Lately has seen some shots on a try-out basis. I like the line and glide, but not sure if I want to step up use at this point because of the...

Champ Coyote 180g - Bought on a recommendation from my brother. LOVE this disc. Straight, holds a line and I find myself going for a lot more pins with confidence on my approach shots. I get good range without what feels like a ton of power.

Putters:

Champ Rhyno 175g - Another hand-me-down from my little bro. He hated it, I liked it so much I gave my DX Aviar to a buddy who was just getting started. I don't use it as much as I should (but I'm working on it) for approaches, but I've started working it in as a roller on occasion too.

Pro-D Magnet 175g - In an effort to expand my horizons, I tried this out recently. I basically got it free with trade-ins from a shop (in case you're wondering I traded DX Roc, DX Leopard, DX Valkyrie and DX Eagle that I had sitting around. DX Leopord was the only one that ever came out of the bag). Jury is still out on the magnet, but I'm leaning toward a dismissal. Just can't seem to get it consist in the wind the same way I can with the Rhyno.

Anyway, that's it. The reason I'm asking is to expand my knowledge on all of this discs at tad and see if I have any dead weight. I'm playing in a friendly tourney next weekend and don't want to have any misunderstandings or overlap in my bag. Feel free to chastise where necessary.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 36
looks like you have some good discs in that eagle, leopard and coyote. Seems like you just need a putter that feels good and you have confidence in. Which is the hard part because to each his own on a putter.
You tried the magnet to "branch out"
Why not the Challenger, Wizard or a Banger?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 12.6
Send a message via AIM to Vegan Ray
I don't understand folks' desire to eliminate 'overlap' in their bags. I tend to strive for ubiquitous 'overlap', so if I lose a disc during a round, the other two discs that 'overlap' it (on the 'high' side & on the 'low' side, or whatever you want to call it) can stand in for it for the remainder of the day.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoma1 View Post
You tried the magnet to "branch out"
Why not the Challenger, Wizard or a Banger?
Try a different brand/feel mainly. And I had to go with what was available at the shop I was in. They had the Banger, I didn't see a Challenger (maybe didn't look hard enough) and didn't carry Gateway discs.

@ Vegan Ray

I've got no problem with the kind of overlap you're talking about, I'm just un-educated enough that I might not understand that overlap and I'm worried about having two discs that do the EXACT same thing.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Ray View Post
I don't understand folks' desire to eliminate 'overlap' in their bags. I tend to strive for ubiquitous 'overlap', so if I lose a disc during a round, the other two discs that 'overlap' it (on the 'high' side & on the 'low' side, or whatever you want to call it) can stand in for it for the remainder of the day.
One objective of the game is to not lose discs.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
One objective of the game is to not lose discs.
The object of the game is to get the disc into the basket. The objective of the golfer is to not lose discs - 2 different things.

I agree with Vegan - eliminating overlap completely is fun in theory and on the internet but stupid in practice.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: LHBH
@OP: it seems like you don't have a ton of snap (not trying to belittle, just judging by what your discs do for you). I don't think you have a ton of overlap in terms of what each mold is designed to do. The biggest blessing or curse (you decide) is that if the Beast is overstable for you that takes 60% of the molds on the market out of the question - they'll all fade harder than the Beast.

If I'm reading it right you throw most: Eagle, Leopard, Coyote, Goblin, Rhyno. Keep throwing those - maybe a Gateway Voodoo or Warlock would be a good putter if you're in the market.

Hope this helps
Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
The object of the game is to get the disc into the basket. The objective of the golfer is to not lose discs - 2 different things.
Well...if you lose all your discs, you can't complete the object of the game which is to get a disc in the basket.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 36
Vegan is very right. I like to keep discs in my bag that are very similiar if not more than one of the same mold.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
@OP: it seems like you don't have a ton of snap (not trying to belittle, just judging by what your discs do for you). I don't think you have a ton of overlap in terms of what each mold is designed to do. The biggest blessing or curse (you decide) is that if the Beast is overstable for you that takes 60% of the molds on the market out of the question - they'll all fade harder than the Beast.

If I'm reading it right you throw most: Eagle, Leopard, Coyote, Goblin, Rhyno. Keep throwing those - maybe a Gateway Voodoo or Warlock would be a good putter if you're in the market.

Hope this helps
You're right, I don't get a lot of snap. It's something I'm working on, but as I don't know anybody better than me, it's mostly from a series of tubes on my computer and trying random things.

The putter recommendations do help, even if you're an LSU fan. Thanks.