Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 21
New, addicted, and eager to learn

Hey guys, this is my first post on DGCR but it is definitely not my first time on this sight. I have been reading this forum for about a month know and have really learned a lot from you all! As far as my game is concerned, I started playing back in April and have become addicted to DG very quickly. I play about twice a week and am seeing improvements almost every game. My main question at the current moment is, does my bag work well for my skills at this point? I throw RHBH with a 4 finger power grip on my drives and a fan grip for more control on my approach shots. I also throw forehand quite well and they usually fly farther than the backhand throws, but I do not really like any of my discs for that shot at the current moment (I think my FH d comes from a lot of ultimate in my background).
Anyway, here are my discs and approx distances:

167 Groove ~300 i dont really like it, bought it before i knew anything my current FH. can throw it 320ish FH disc

172 Elite-Z Avenger ~300 i usually use this disc for hyzers and wide open holes. Fades hard

175 Champ Beast~ 280 i found this disc and dont like it that well, i have trouble controlling this disc. Might b a snap or weight issue

174 DX Eagle~250 i like this disc pretty well, but i have trouble deciding when to use this disc

173 ESP Buzzz~ 250 this disc is a fun one. I can throw it fairly straight and am comfortable with it

172 DX Shark~ 150-200 on a good day. This was my first disc and i go to it when im really struggling

172 Ion (soft) i love the feel of this putter in my hand. I'm still trying to get used to putting straight instead of a hyzer into the basket, but think i made a good choice on this one

I turn my friends archangel over on a consistent basis but feel i should get an understable driver or fairway. Im currently looking into a river to fill that slot.

I know I have way too many discs for a new player, but I got caught up in the rush before i found this site. Any suggestions would be great and I'm more than happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 111
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
First off, welcome to the site and the addiction that is disc golf.

Sounds like you have a pretty good base there, and you know enough to know the Groove sucks, kind of kidding. For the understable driver you might do well with an avenger ss, since you already seem to get good distance out of the regular avenger. Some other great understable and fairway drivers are Leopards, sidewinders, and of course the best disc ever the Valkyrie.

As for turning over the archangel, that could be your form, hard to say without seeing you throw, but there could be some OAT going on there.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 102
[strike][/strike]

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlock09 View Post
167 Groove ~300 i dont really like it, bought it before i knew anything my current FH. can throw it 320ish FH disc

172 Elite-Z Avenger ~300 i usually use this disc for hyzers and wide open holes. Fades hard Might be a bit much for you right now.

175 Champ Beast~ 280 i found this disc and dont like it that well, i have trouble controlling this disc. Might b a snap or weight issue

174 DX Eagle~250 i like this disc pretty well, but i have trouble deciding when to use this disc

173 ESP Buzzz~ 250 this disc is a fun one. I can throw it fairly straight and am comfortable with it

172 DX Shark~ 150-200 on a good day. This was my first disc and i go to it when im really struggling Maybe keep worthy if you don't feel like the Buzzz is better.

172 Ion (soft) i love the feel of this putter in my hand. I'm still trying to get used to putting straight instead of a hyzer into the basket, but think i made a good choice on this one
What Roadtripstuff said is solid. The Avenger sounds like a meathook for you, that's fine b/c every one could use a meathook. Let's keep it as your overstable/headwind driver. You like the DX Eagle? Perfect, keep that sucker and beat it flippy for understable and either get a new DX Eagle-X or a Star (or Champ) Eagle-X for the vast majority of your driving duties. An Eagle-X will also teach you good form for FH as well. If you want a harder fading mid, just get a Buzzz in Z or glow Z for right now. I also recommend an understable mid for some good form encouragement like a Comet, Fuse, Qms, etc.

If you want a disc to bomb FH with, try an OLF, a Starfire, or a S-PD for example, a driver a that is fairly overstable but not super much and isn't super fast either.

Also, try approaching with that Ion, a lot. They are great for approaches and short drives.
Welcome to your addiction.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 85
^^ Pretty much what BrotherDave said is right on. Those faster drivers are probably way too much for you to handle. Stick with the basics and work your way up to the faster stuff. It took me nearly 3 years to get up to a beast, but worth the practice you put in to get there. Why not just stick with the Eagle, Buzzz and Ion for now. Learn those three well.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 23
Bro D. nailed it. When an Eagle is going 350 you'll see much better results from the faster discs. The Buzzz and Ion are great. Approaches with the Ion are amazing, so definitely try it for more than just putting. Its wonderful for shorter tees. The Avenger should work well for you for hyzers and headwinds for the time being.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Since you don't like the Groove or Beast - just drop them. There's no sense in carrying discs you don't (or can't) trust to do what you want.

I'd keep the Avenger in the bag for now, but only go to it if you encounter a windy situation.

I agree with what's been said already, use fairway drivers to work on form/increase distance. A Leopard, Stalker, TL, or Eagle are good places to start.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 101
use said eagle for distance drives. use the buzzz for everything else. keep shark for falling back onto. And keep the ion for putts. as well, I say keep avenger for wind. Much of the selection depend on the courses you play, especially for me.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I also recommend an understable mid for some good form encouragement like a Comet, Fuse, Qms, etc.

If you want a disc to bomb FH with, try an OLF, a Starfire, or a S-PD for example, a driver a that is fairly overstable but not super much and isn't super fast either.

Also, try approaching with that Ion, a lot. They are great for approaches and short drives.
I was looking into the understable mids to try to help me improve my game but thought that maybe a new slower understable driver would be more beneficial. I was thinking maybe a river? But it seems the group ideology is that i should work with the mids to get my form down. I have read a lot about lat64 lately and was thinking the fuse sounded about right for my game. (also the reason I was thinking river over leopard. bad idea?)

The FH disc is definately one I think needs to be added to my bag. I was looking into the Starfire and would like to know your thoughts on the disc as well as plastic type and approx weight for me. I know that many of my discs may be too heavy for me RHBH and honestly dont know how similar weights of BH and FH discs should be.

I tend to make most of my approach shots with my shark, but after the many posts I will have to start throwing the Ion on those shots.

Thanks for all the great info guys!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
Sounds like you have a pretty good base there, and you know enough to know the Groove sucks, kind of kidding. For the understable driver you might do well with an avenger ss, since you already seem to get good distance out of the regular avenger. Some other great understable and fairway drivers are Leopards, sidewinders, and of course the best disc ever the Valkyrie.

As for turning over the archangel, that could be your form, hard to say without seeing you throw, but there could be some OAT going on there.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one that isnt a fan of the groove. It fades a little hard and just doesnt have a glide 6. No way at all.

I was thinking about the avenger ss for use as an understable driver. It seems to me that it would fit nicely with my current skill set and the discs in my bag. However, should I start out learning a slower understable disc before i move up to the faster disc? I have never had doubts before that I could throw the faster discs, but outdriving your friends doesnt really mean you are ready for them yet.

Also what are some good ways to work on fixing OAT?
Once again thanks for all the feedback and help. I appreciate it.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 23
Faster understable discs have a good chance of not having as much turn as you'd expect right now. I'd go with a DX or Pro Leopard for an understable disc. The River looks good stat wise, but I've never thrown one, so I'm not sure if it flies comparatively.