Disc Golf Store
Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 21
Sounds like I picked a good time to ask my questions then. I'd rather learn with the slower discs first instead of spends a long time trying to correct bad form.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlock09 View Post
Sounds like I picked a good time to ask my questions then. I'd rather learn with the slower discs first instead of spends a long time trying to correct bad form.
Yep. I'd hold onto the Avenger and only use it when you need a long hyzer or something to drive straight into a strong headwind. The Eagle should be a good general driver for you, making a nice s-curve when you throw it correctly, but you should also consider the other recommendations in the thread. I'd keep both the Buzzz and the Shark if they give you different lines, but if not then pick one. Shelf the Groove and Beast until you can toss the Eagle like 350'+ on a consistent basis, but even then you may not want or need either of them at that point. Also, straight and hyzer putting are both acceptable methods, use whichever yields the best results.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderPride View Post
Also, straight and hyzer putting are both acceptable methods, use whichever yields the best results.
I am still not set on a putting style. I seem to have trouble deciding which I like. Putting style and grip are still very much up in the air. Being a new player comes with a major drawback: inconsistency. My putts only do what I'm actually trying to do about 75% of the time. My drives are even more unpredictable. The distances given at the beginning of this thread are distances on my good throws. The average throw usually comes up short of those numbers, but I feel with practice they could be achieved consistently. I know I have the ability to get the discs out there, but I am not really there yet.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
I am still not set on a putting style. I seem to have trouble deciding which I like. Putting style and grip are still very much up in the air. Being a new player comes with a major drawback: inconsistency. My putts only do what I'm actually trying to do about 75% of the time. My drives are even more unpredictable. The distances given at the beginning of this thread are distances on my good throws. The average throw usually comes up short of those numbers, but I feel with practice they could be achieved consistently. I know I have the ability to get the discs out there, but I am not really there yet.
you will change a lot. The discs you love now will be the ones you will start flipping over. practice often in an open field with light discs and you will learn quickly. I started out with all heavy discs and developed a lot of bad habits, but you are seeking help early and seem eager to take it all in, I bet you'll be dropping 5 strokes off your average game by the end of summer
Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
174 DX Eagle~250 i like this disc pretty well, but i have trouble deciding when to use this disc

173 ESP Buzzz~ 250 this disc is a fun one. I can throw it fairly straight and am comfortable with it

172 Ion (soft) i love the feel of this putter in my hand. I'm still trying to get used to putting straight instead of a hyzer into the basket, but think i made a good choice on this one
Take out the Groove.

Take out the Shark or Buzz, they do the same thing, pick whichever you're more comfortable with.

Take out the Avenger and Beast.

The Eagle isn't a bad driver for you to use at the moment. How worn is it? Once it's broken is some it will work well for you at the distance you're throwing. Sounds like a Leopard / Gazelle / Cyclone / Cheetah would make a good distance driver for you.

Just simplify things and stick to slow discs for now. If you look at the manufacturers flight path charts for example you'll see the Eagle is recommended for further distances than you're throwing...not to mention Avengers and Grooves. Try a slower fairway driver like the ones I listed.

The Ion and Buzz are a great combo and should make up the majority of your throws. The former can be used for straight shots at the basket or hyzer putts, just use whichever style you're most comfortable with. They both work.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
you will change a lot. The discs you love now will be the ones you will start flipping over. practice often in an open field with light discs and you will learn quickly. I started out with all heavy discs and developed a lot of bad habits, but you are seeking help early and seem eager to take it all in, I bet you'll be dropping 5 strokes off your average game by the end of summer
I am definately very open to all ideas and any advice you all can give me. I am much more addicted to DG than my friends so I have no one to really talk about all this stuff with (hence all the questions and long posts).
Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 111
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
Quote:
I am definately very open to all ideas and any advice you all can give me. I am much more addicted to DG than my friends so I have no one to really talk about all this stuff with (hence all the questions and long posts).
Have you watched any instructional videos yet? There are quite a few good ones out there.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Take out the Groove. You dont have to tell me twice, I really dont like this disc. I'll gladly take it out!

The Eagle isn't a bad driver for you to use at the moment. How worn is it? Once it's broken is some it will work well for you at the distance you're throwing.
My Eagle has some big nicks in it, but isnt really broken in. Just a lot of bad glances off trees. I have heard they are better broken in and cant wait to see what I can do with it when that happens.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
Have you watched any instructional videos yet? There are quite a few good ones out there.
I've watched a few of the discraft videos on youtube and they have been helpful. I need to watch some more though. I think they could really help improve my form

Old 07-10-2010, 12:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 111
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
Quote:
I've watched a few of the discraft videos on youtube and they have been helpful. I need to watch some more though. I think they could really help improve my form
Yeah the discraft videos are all very good, as well as the Dan Beato videos. Just search his name on youtube, or hell in this forum for that matter, and you will see it. Its one of the best out there.