Old 07-10-2010, 02:25 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlock09 View Post
I am still not set on a putting style. I seem to have trouble deciding which I like. Putting style and grip are still very much up in the air. Being a new player comes with a major drawback: inconsistency. My putts only do what I'm actually trying to do about 75% of the time. My drives are even more unpredictable. The distances given at the beginning of this thread are distances on my good throws. The average throw usually comes up short of those numbers, but I feel with practice they could be achieved consistently. I know I have the ability to get the discs out there, but I am not really there yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlock09 View Post
I am definately very open to all ideas and any advice you all can give me. I am much more addicted to DG than my friends so I have no one to really talk about all this stuff with (hence all the questions and long posts).
You are in the same boat as me, except I have gotten pretty consistent with the driving. My approaching and putting are garbage though. The touch/feel stuff is the same as any other sport, get yourself a good fundamentally sound technique then practice your brains out. Watch videos of yourself and others, mimic and copy, get out there and throw as much as you can. If you can go to the park and putt at trees, that is helpful. Playing catch with someone is even better.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Drop the beast and groove, keep everything else. Shark and buzzz are good compliments of understable and stable/overstable. Ion for approaches and putting. Eagle will be your distance driver, but the buzzz should be right up there with it. Avenger for windy conditions and hyzers, if your eagle was a different plastic, I'd take the avenger out too. The eagle will beat in pretty quickly though.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
Yeah the discraft videos are all very good, as well as the Dan Beato videos. Just search his name on youtube, or hell in this forum for that matter, and you will see it. Its one of the best out there.
Hell, I'll do it for him, that's how much of a cool guy I am. These vids have been very instrumental for my improvement.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

This one (it's a 2 parter) is great for understanding "snap."

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Hell, I'll do it for him, that's how much of a cool guy I am. These vids have been very instrumental for my improvement.

This one (it's a 2 parter) is great for understanding "snap."
thanks! i can def use the help. snap is my biggest weakness at times so these help a lot!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Bogey Member

So I went to the disc golf store and got a GL Fuse. I love that thing! Thanks for the advice. They dodnt have Rivers in stock yet but I'll be sure to get one to work on my slower disc form. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:12 AM
Bogey Member

So I got my new discs and have been playing a lot with them. The slower discs have really been helping me work and form and getting more consistent distance. I absolutely love my pink Opto River and really like the GL Fuse. I really am a fan of these Lat64 discs! My dx eagle has gotten pretty beat up and really needs to be replaced. (have been playing some new courses in windy conditions, dx plus wind plus roads equals BAD). Also have played a bit with a friends teebird. Since I want to replace the eagle and I like the teebird and I'm in love with Lat64, I was thinking about picking up an Opto Striker. Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Though many have compared Opto Strikers to Teebirds, I personally feel Strikers are much faster then Teebirds. Its not a bad choice especially if you like the Lat 64 discs. There is still the possibility of it being too much disc for you, but you can easily work up to it.

If you like the Lat 64 stuff you have to check out a Gold Line Core. It is a stable flying mid-range, much like a Buzz. It has revolutionized my mid-range game.

Good luck on your discing down adventures.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax11 View Post
Though many have compared Opto Strikers to Teebirds, I personally feel Strikers are much faster then Teebirds. Its not a bad choice especially if you like the Lat 64 discs. There is still the possibility of it being too much disc for you, but you can easily work up to it.

If you like the Lat 64 stuff you have to check out a Gold Line Core. It is a stable flying mid-range, much like a Buzz. It has revolutionized my mid-range game.

A friend of mine recently bought a core. I cant wait to try it out!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax11 View Post

How would my dx eagle compare to the striker? I do feel I need a disc such as the eagle or teebird in my bad but my dx eagle is getting too beat to use at all. One reason I was thinking striker is because lat64's opto plastic is indestructible and I wouldnt have to worry about it having the same fate as my eagle.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
A DX Eagle is easier to flip IMO than an Opto Striker. I agree w/ Jax's assessment of Strikers being a bit faster than Teebirds. A Striker won't fight back to fade as hard as an Eagle would, even a new DX Eagle won't turn and burn as severely.

I suggest trying some hyzer flips with the Eagle before you get a Striker, hyzer flipping discs have more than extended the bag life of my flippy discs and beat Eagles can do some crazy hyzer flips. The Striker is a cool disc though, combined with a River it's probably a pretty sound driver tandem.