Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Looking for some ideas.

My bag currently consists of the following discs. I'd like to know what you guys think. Should a reduce the total number of molds and maybe get another Halo (Opto) and another River (opto) to round out my set?

I prefer to stay away from Innova, Disc Mania (still considering PD) and Millenium.

Ching Velocity Power 175g
Ching Velocity Supreme 175g
Discraft Buzz Elite X 173g
Discraft Buzzz Elite Z 173g
Latitude 64 Core Gold Line 177g
Latitude 64 Fuse Gold Line 171g
Latitude 64 Halo Gold Line 168g
Latitude 64 Pure Zero Line 172g
Latitude 64 Riot Opto Line 173g
Latitude 64 River Gold Line 172g
Latitude 64 Vision Gold Line 171g
MVP Ion (Medium) Proton 172g
MVP Ion (Medium) Proton 174g
MVP Ion (Soft) Proton 175g
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn9 View Post
My bag currently consists of the following discs. I'd like to know what you guys think. Should a reduce the total number of molds and maybe get another Halo (Opto) and another River (opto) to round out my set?

I prefer to stay away from Innova, Disc Mania (still considering PD) and Millenium.

Latitude 64 Opto Striker ~170g
Latitude 64 XXX

Latitude 64 Core Gold Line 177g
Latitude 64 Fuse Gold Line 171g
Latitude 64 Halo Gold Line 168g
Latitude 64 Pure Zero Line 172g
Latitude 64 Riot Opto Line 173g
Latitude 64 River Gold Line 172g
Latitude 64 Vision Gold Line 171g
MVP Ion (Medium) Proton 172g
MVP Ion (Medium) Proton 174g
MVP Ion (Soft) Proton 175g
You don't need the Core AND Buzz, they're basically the same disc, and I was never a fan of ching's discs. Maybe try a PD instead of a striker, I've heard good things about them but never thrown one. You probably don't need the halo and riot either, pick the one that's more consistent for you.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldy13 View Post
You don't need the Core AND Buzz, they're basically the same disc, and I was never a fan of ching's discs. Maybe try a PD instead of a striker, I've heard good things about them but never thrown one. You probably don't need the halo and riot either, pick the one that's more consistent for you.
The core I just picked up today because I was looking for something like the Buzzz from Lat64 so I figure I'll at least try it and keep it in the bag.

I was thinking the same thing about the Riot / Halo. I've been having better luck with FH and OH with the Halo for the most part which is why I was considering a Opto version for a secondary, more over stable(?) one for the bag. That would definitely boot the clear blue Riot out of its slot.

I keep looking at the PD considering it.. Maybe I should just go for it, perhaps I'll find myself a nice driver too kick the ching discs and just pick up one more River in Opto to finish it off?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 102
The Elite X Buzzz may overlap the Core. Z Buzzz might too but it might be more overstable then the Core, I'd probably get an Opto Core to replace that Buzzz if you really want to reduce molds. I'm not sure how far you are throwing but if the Vision is as flippy as everyone says it is, there's probably some utility situations where it has a place in the bag. I'd probably get a Striker to go with the River and use those primarily for drives, the Halo and Riot might be too much disc for you (not sure about the Riot actually, and again, I have know idea how good your form is). I love the xXx, a very handy meathook for wind and OH.

The Pure probably doesn't do anything your Ions can't do. I know nothing about Ching discs.

Pretty sweet Lat. 64 set-up though.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
The Elite X Buzzz may overlap the Core. Z Buzzz might too but it might be more overstable then the Core, I'd probably get an Opto Core to replace that Buzzz if you really want to reduce molds. I'm not sure how far you are throwing but if the Vision is as flippy as everyone says it is, there's probably some utility situations where it has a place in the bag. I'd probably get a Striker to go with the River and use those primarily for drives, the Halo and Riot might be too much disc for you (not sure about the Riot actually, and again, I have know idea how good your form is). I love the xXx, a very handy meathook for wind and OH.

The Pure probably doesn't do anything your Ions can't do. I know nothing about Ching discs.

Pretty sweet Lat. 64 set-up though.
Won't get to throw the Core until this weekend so we'll see how it performs (I really doubt it will replace my Buzzz) The vision I think has a permanent home just because its about the only disc I can hyzer flip with decent results.

Right now I'm at a tossup between a PD or Striker.. I'd almost rather stay away from the PD because it is technically a Innova mold.

The Halo has become my favorite FH disc. That thing shoots like a lazer with a small fade at the end for most of my shots. It quickly kicked the Wraith out. I've also been having some luck OH with it but after you guys both brought up XXX I might get one in a lighter weight just for overhand and rollers.

The pure I got on a whim when I was testing putters but I like it enough to keep it around.

Thanks for the insight!
If anyone has any experience with a PD and Striker let me know what you think about them.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Right now I'm at a tossup between a PD or Striker.. I'd almost rather stay away from the PD because it is technically a Innova mold.
This is technically not true. Innova molds for Discmania but the mold design of the PD is all Discmania's doing. I'm not 100% sure about that but Innova definitely doesn't have anything quite like the PD.

I didn't throw a Striker for long, it was Opto, but I found the PD to be a lot more controllable. I wouldn't giving the Striker a 2nd chance though, it's been awhile. My take on it was that a Striker was a little too fast for me to consider a "fairway driver" while a PD is about as fast as a fairway driver should be.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Par Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
This is technically not true. Innova molds for Discmania but the mold design of the PD is all Discmania's doing. I'm not 100% sure about that but Innova definitely doesn't have anything quite like the PD.

I didn't throw a Striker for long, it was Opto, but I found the PD to be a lot more controllable. I wouldn't giving the Striker a 2nd chance though, it's been awhile. My take on it was that a Striker was a little too fast for me to consider a "fairway driver" while a PD is about as fast as a fairway driver should be.
Thanks for the input BrotherDave! I think the PD will be where its at for me.
I heard at GGGT that the DiscMania discs are Innova bottoms with a DiscMania top.. May not be true but from what I've understood they are basically the European Innova.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 31
If you were really looking to minimize your molds I'd suggest the following:
Quote:

Discraft Buzzz Elite Z 173g (straight to hyzer mid)
Latitude 64 Fuse Gold Line 171g (super straight to anhyzer mid)
Latitude 64 Halo Gold Line 168g (forehand distance, overhand)
Latitude 64 River Gold Line 172g (backhand fairway)
Latitude 64 Vision Gold Line 171g (backhand distance)
MVP Ion (Medium) Proton 174g (main putter)
MVP Ion (Soft) Proton 175g (wooded approach)

Also, you could try out the core against the Buzzz and see which one wins. I don't have any personal experience with a Core to really make a judgment between the two.

You have a rather large bag, so if you do end up dropping some molds, you may just want to pick up some more back ups just so your discs don't slosh around. Its no good walking around with 6 discs in the main compartment of a 14 disc bag....

Finally, buying Innova discs isn't the end of the world. Yes they have more inconsistencies than say Discraft, but if you are able to pick out your discs in person, you can always buy the good ones. I usually have Blake pick out my Valks when ever I pick up new ones from GGGT and they always fly great. I bought one on a whim w/o his help once and it flew more like a viking than anything else....
Old 07-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Par Member

Thumbs up

You know whats funny about this? As soon as I got home from that tourney today I dropped every single one of theses disc into that Fade Crunch Box I won (added my Supreme Velocity as an extra fairway driver until I get the Opto River)

Not really opposed to Innova as I lead on but I've just been having better luck with the other guys.

Definitely plan on lower the total number of molds and getting some extras just like you said.

I'm still thinking I'd like to add the Striker / PD to the bag but maybe I'll have to throw your Striker a few more times to get a feel for it.

What do you think about adding a crazy overstable driver like XXX for utility shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddly Hobbins View Post
If you were really looking to minimize your molds I'd suggest the following:

Also, you could try out the core against the Buzzz and see which one wins. I don't have any personal experience with a Core to really make a judgment between the two.

You have a rather large bag, so if you do end up dropping some molds, you may just want to pick up some more back ups just so your discs don't slosh around. Its no good walking around with 6 discs in the main compartment of a 14 disc bag....

Finally, buying Innova discs isn't the end of the world. Yes they have more inconsistencies than say Discraft, but if you are able to pick out your discs in person, you can always buy the good ones. I usually have Blake pick out my Valks when ever I pick up new ones from GGGT and they always fly great. I bought one on a whim w/o his help once and it flew more like a viking than anything else....

Last edited by zenn9; 07-17-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 62
What's the Pure do that the Ion doesn't?