#11  
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM
tstack10's Avatar
tstack10 tstack10 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 1,878
Send a message via AIM to tstack10 Send a message via Yahoo to tstack10
Some discs are worth the hype and helped my game.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-13-2010, 04:56 PM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 4,924
The only big thing I see is lack of a really overstable driver. I use mine way more than distance drivers.

Personally I'd want a more overstable mid, or at least one that fades harder and a slower fairway driver, but there's no need to change if that's working for you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Pink Elephant's Avatar
Pink Elephant Pink Elephant is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Stupid Q & A Thread
Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
The only big thing I see is lack of a really overstable driver. I use mine way more than distance drivers.

Personally I'd want a more overstable mid, or at least one that fades harder and a slower fairway driver, but there's no need to change if that's working for you.
Are you talking like the standard XXX that everyone likes to put in there? I'm not too sure how they would be useful, but this is coming from someone who is newer to disc golf and hasn't played many courses, so maybe I just haven't seen the need yet.

Would the Glo Buzzz count as an overstable mid? This set up is fairly new and I was toying with the idea of adding the Buzzz back if I found I needed something more overstable.

I was also thinking about a slower fairway driver, (the gap from mids to fwy seems big), but I also can power down my P-PDs and get workable lines 340-350 so I figured that would cover a slower fairway driver.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 PM
RHINESEL's Avatar
RHINESEL RHINESEL is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,620
Depends on the types of courses you play.

I play a majority of wooded courses. I could never get by without my Predator and Drone to hit those meathook shots. I simply don't have the room to throw high hyzers. I need something I can throw flat and with lots of guaranteed fade.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 AM
WillACarpenter's Avatar
WillACarpenter WillACarpenter is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lecanto, FL
Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,638
A lefty may not have a whole hell of a lot of need for a meathook driver, especially if the courses aren't designed very evenly.

\/\/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillACarpenter View Post
A lefty may not have a whole hell of a lot of need for a meathook driver, especially if the courses aren't designed very evenly.

\/\/
I disagree. I think that spike hyzers are overlooked quite often. You don't have to be going over or around something for a hyzer to be useful. You pretty much only need the room for one to make it a high percentage shot.

Say you have an open, 280' shot. A player may have options for a putter or mid shot, but it will be just as easy for them to throw a spike hyzer with a Z Pred, E Spirit, XXX, Champ Firebird, ect, and they'll have better wind resistance unless it's a crosswind pushing on the bottom of the flight plate.

Standstill flex shots can be really useful, too. If you need 250'-300' of straight then a big fade you can throw a hyzer with something less overstable or you can throw a disc like this flat or slight anhyzer from a standstill with good consistancy. It's not something you'll use all the time, but it's really nice to add another easy to perform shot to your bag.

Someone, Scoot_er I think, mentioned in another thread that if you saw a pro play on an open course it would be boring because it would just be a bunch of hyzers.

Quote:
Are you talking like the standard XXX that everyone likes to put in there? I'm not too sure how they would be useful, but this is coming from someone who is newer to disc golf and hasn't played many courses, so maybe I just haven't seen the need yet.
Yep, that type of disc is what I'm talking about. As I said above, it's not that you want the disc in there for specialty shots, it's that it also creates another, high percentage option for a lot of other shots as well. I'd highly recommend getting a disc like that and using it a lot for a while to really see what you can do. There's a very good chance you won't want to be without one after you've done that.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Pink Elephant's Avatar
Pink Elephant Pink Elephant is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Stupid Q & A Thread
Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 628
The course I play at now has little opportunities for a lefty spike, but I should be playing some new courses soon so I will definitely check out a disc like this. I always thought that it was easier to throw a straight shot if you could. Also, the course I play at is based around a creek with sloping banks so that a lefty shot has a better chance of skipping and spinning down the bank, so that's why my game is based on straight/understable discs.

Thanks for not telling me to get a Roc Garu, I know you like pushing those.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 PM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Elephant View Post
The course I play at now has little opportunities for a lefty spike, but I should be playing some new courses soon so I will definitely check out a disc like this. I always thought that it was easier to throw a straight shot if you could. Also, the course I play at is based around a creek with sloping banks so that a lefty shot has a better chance of skipping and spinning down the bank, so that's why my game is based on straight/understable discs.
It is hard to see the uses for some discs if the course you play on doesn't offer oppertunities for lots of different shots.

Quote:
Thanks for not telling me to get a Roc Garu, I know you like pushing those.
Don't worry, I hinted at it in the first post I made.

For these really mold-minimal bags I usually only make suggestions on what I prefer rather than suggestions on what I think you should carry. If you're making all the shots you want there isn't a need to change.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Pink Elephant's Avatar
Pink Elephant Pink Elephant is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Stupid Q & A Thread
Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 628
So what's a good overstable driver to try? Is the speed difference between Spirit/Pred and a Viper/XXX a big deal?

Also for drivers, I'm debating just keeping the PDs as max D drivers, because I can get 400' out of them (now) about as consistently as the Wraiths, but the PDs are more predictable in the wind. If I were to get Destroyers to replace my Wraiths, how much of a distance increase should I see? I was throwing my beefmaster Destroyer ~420' and I was wondering how far I could get it if it was less stable on a tight S flight.
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Elephant View Post
So what's a good overstable driver to try? Is the speed difference between Spirit/Pred and a Viper/XXX a big deal
I thought the XXX was faster and really similar to a Spirit.

The Viper is quite a bit slower and won't have the distance potential of the other discs.

I throw Spirits because I have them. If I were to start from scratch I'd go with a Z Predator and see how it works. You can decide if you want something different from there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.