Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Par Member

Bag update... let me know what you think

I probably won't be changing things for a while unless someone points out something that could greatly help me. I feel pretty good about my setup as it is, just want some feedback about it. Distances are approximates on a good throw, based on a decent toss I had at a football field last night with the E-P Cyclone.

Primary molds:
176g Elite-Pro Cyclone - stable driver - 310'
175g Elite-X Cyclone - understable driver - 290'
173g DX Roc - stable mid - 280'
168g DX Shark - understable mid - 270'
175g Soft Wizard - stable putter -250'
174g X-Link Summit - understable putter - 225'

Secondary molds (not used very often):
174g DX Teebird - overstable for me
171g Elite-X Avenger - max D when I develop the power for it
175g DX Gazelle - backup for X-Cyclone
172g #2 Driver - flies over water (floater)

A few notes:
I just started using the Summit as my primary putter, love it so far. Wizard is a better driver though. I would be throwing Gazelles instead of Cyclones, but I want something in plastic that doesn't suck like the current DX runs. The Roc is a Rancho, seems pretty domey but I LOVE it so far. Once it beats in I plan on doing a wear-stage cycle and dropping the Shark. The #2 Driver actually flies pretty straight, I'll just be using it when I don't want to lose a driver in the water until my accuracy/consistency improves. I bought the Teebird because everyone says they are so great, turns out I don't have the technique to throw it well yet. Got the Avenger as a birthday present, will work my way up to the distances needed to power it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Par Member

Note: X-Cyclone and Shark are U/S due to wear.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Pretty basic. I would learn that Teebird and use your form to get it to fly straight for you. If it still seems overstable, then perhaps a rework of your form is in order for a Teebird should never really be that overstable.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolito View Post
Pretty basic. I would learn that Teebird and use your form to get it to fly straight for you. If it still seems overstable, then perhaps a rework of your form is in order for a Teebird should never really be that overstable.
I don't know, perhaps I didn't explain it correctly. It actually will hold a straight line for quite a while but hooks really hard left at the end. It usually ends up going as far as anything I have but seems a lot more sensitive to slight nose-up. If I put it on a slight hyzer, it won't flip flat even in a decent headwind. However, I usually use the stable Cyclone for hyzer shots.

I'm kind of going for a minimalist approach for now, hoping that I learn faster when I have fewer discs to shape lines with.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderPride View Post
I'm kind of going for a minimalist approach for now, hoping that I learn faster when I have fewer discs to shape lines with.
It looks like a really good bag to accomplish that.

I wrote a bunch about really overstable drivers in Pink Elephant's thread. You may want to read it and then consider carrying one as well.

Quote:
It actually will hold a straight line for quite a while but hooks really hard left at the end. It usually ends up going as far as anything I have but seems a lot more sensitive to slight nose-up. If I put it on a slight hyzer, it won't flip flat even in a decent headwind.
Yep, that's how new Teebirds fly. They don't get straight until they're beat up. I agree with leaving it alone for now.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Par Member

Awesome. A friend has a Champ Starfire or a Z Crush that I can use for a while, do you think either of those would work?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderPride View Post
Awesome. A friend has a Champ Starfire or a Z Crush that I can use for a while, do you think either of those would work?
Probably for a bit, but they're far from ideal. I was talking more like Banshee, Firebird, Predator, Spirit, XXX, ect.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
Probably for a bit, but they're far from ideal. I was talking more like Banshee, Firebird, Predator, Spirit, XXX, ect.
Okay. It seems that everyone recommends a true overstable driver, so I'll keep my eyes open for a Champ Banshee or Firebird (based on Joe's Flight Chart ratings). I'm thinking a weight around 172g.

I read your post about spike hyzers, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Another thing I've decided to do recently is play rounds with just my mids/putters often. I want to get the Roc out to 300' and Wizard out to 275' consistently, then hopefully that will translate to more driver distance. I would do more field work but it seems that throwing full drives in the grass is hard on my right knee (RHBH).

Last edited by SpyderPride; 07-15-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Are you rotating as you follow through on your drive? If so it shouldn't stress the knees too bad.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Are you rotating as you follow through on your drive? If so it shouldn't stress the knees too bad.
I have a bad habit of getting flat-footed on the follow through rather than concentrating my weight on the balls of my feet. I can get away with it on smooth concrete or packed dirt, but it seems not so much on football field turf. Perhaps that is something else I need to work on.