Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 177
Throwing Style: RHBH
When "approved" just isn't good enough.

I just read about a course that was in development in Steamboat Springs, CO which was halted by the city council even though the volunteers working to install the course had already gained approval by the parks & rec board to conduct their work. It seems the board overstepped their bounds in giving their approval in the first place. This reminded me of a similar incident that happened earlier this year that got a great 9-holer pulled in Corinth, TX.

In both instances it seems that the volunteers installing the courses had gone through the proper channels and taken the right steps to gain approval for their work only to have a higher authority within their local government step in and overturn previous agreements/arrangements. This seems awfully unfair and it should obviously encourage others to ensure they have the full backing of their local government to install a course, but how exactly can this be accomplished? Would some sort of contract between the city and the volunteer group have provided better protection from having the course halted/pulled? I'm just wondering because I'd hate to see another group of volunteers encounter this same circumstance again.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Birdie Member

Tough situation (for those involved), but sometimes crap just happens.

"This seems awfully unfair"
Sometimes LIFE is unfair...

"and it should obviously encourage others to ensure they have the full backing"
You said the magic word "FULL". Obviously, they didn't (although they thought they did).

Who exactly is "the top" in any governmental structure is always a tough question to answer...and will vary between any 2 "governments".
I don't think you'll ever get a "satisfactory" answer to your question here (but props to you for warning others this CAN happen).

That's why "slow and steady" is prudent - so a lot of effort isn't wasted.

Karl
Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 170
Sometimes city governments don't communicate that well between levels. Sometimes it's a highly influential citizen who grinds things to a halt with a phone call to the mayor. Whatever it is, you're at the mercy of it. All you can do it make sure you've got your own i's dotted and t's crossed, keep in communication with your city contacts and be very open and respectful of the non-playing public.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
I would almost guarantee that in any government structure that the parks & rec. people will NOT have the final say in anything.