Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
My Disc'd Down Bag

Seeing as I can't throw much over 300' I figured it's time to disc down and get my drives down to then step up to the big boys and hope for a gain in distance.

Hers what I have please help with your thoughts:
Star Eagle X -175 For my Max Drives
Pro-D Cyclone 167 for Drives.
ESP Buzzz 174 - For drives around wide trees
Crystal Z Buzzz for tighter tree drives
DX Roc 174 for drivers to the left
Dx Rhyno 174 for Long str8 puts
Gate Cheif 171 for Mid Putts
Pro-D Magnet for str8 drives and putts

I also have a 175 Champ Valk in my bag but it's because i still haven't shot it and want to try it out on an open hole. Would this one be considered to fast?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Par Member

Usually people will say that you need to pick between using Rocs and Buzzzs. Since you already have 2 Buzzzs, I say shelf the Roc for a while and learn to cover its shots with one of the Buzzzs.

I don't think there is really anything wrong with your putters; can you compare what you do with them a bit more? You should figure out which one drives the best for you (I'm guessing Magnet), then try to push that out as far as you can.

That Cyclone will be instrumental in teaching you correct form, because it is slightly understable and a somewhat light weight. I'd consider only pulling out the Eagle for headwinds, but thats just me. Learn to hyzer-flip the Cyclone on as high of a line as you can without having it stall out at the end, it should yield some good distance for you. Once you can consistently get to 350 or so with it, then start incorporating the Eagle and Valk to start seeing some real technological increases in distance.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Dad

Sorry for being a little less discriptive on the putters. For something between 50 to 25ish I would pull out the rhyno but it needs to be a str8 shot. I would use the magnet for almost all depending on how I was doing putting with it and use it for a lot of the curves around trees and what not. I use the Cheif for the 25 to 15 fts that is kind of the point where I can sometimes miss on a bad day and the cheif seems to be the one that works the best. BUt i have been considering Taking the Cheif off and putting my aero in for more of the curves... Or maybe just using one of the buzzz's for curves in puts.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamerp View Post
Sorry for being a little less discriptive on the putters. For something between 50 to 25ish I would pull out the rhyno but it needs to be a str8 shot. I would use the magnet for almost all depending on how I was doing putting with it and use it for a lot of the curves around trees and what not. I use the Cheif for the 25 to 15 fts that is kind of the point where I can sometimes miss on a bad day and the cheif seems to be the one that works the best. BUt i have been considering Taking the Cheif off and putting my aero in for more of the curves... Or maybe just using one of the buzzz's for curves in puts.
IMO those are some pretty small distance ranges to be using different putters for, but I could be wrong on my thinking on that. Since you say you can usually cover most putts with the Magnet and drive with it, I say make that your main putter. Literally use it as much as you can, learn to get as many shots as you can out of it. A 50' straight putt shouldn't be an issue with it, you may just need to throw it harder.

As far as I understand it, "discing down" means to use slower and less stable drivers (and possibly mids and putters) to help you work on smoothing out your form to give you more potential distance. I feel it is also a good time for mold minimalism because then not only are you working on a more efficient form, you are also working on shaping more lines with fewer discs. It can be a huge skill-building experience. I am currently doing the same exact thing and working with 3 or 4 discs: beat flippy Gazelle or slightly worn X-Cyclone, slightly worn Shark, beat Wizard, and sometimes my new Summit. I can carry my discs in one hand and leave the bag at home.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Par Member

In case you're wondering what I am discing down FROM... my bag is holding a new Cyclone, new Roc, new X-Avenger, and worn Starfire. So yeah, lower speed and less stable is what I am going with. My goals are to get the Wizard out to 300', Shark out to 320', Cyclone or Gazelle out to 350', then I will start re-introducing the other discs.

Last edited by SpyderPride; 07-23-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Dad

Yeah well thanks for your help. I notice how i did better playing my normally home course... but I think i will take my cheif out... minus the fact i had a nice bonce off a tree in... but that's just luck. I am playing a tourney there so if i can't get a buzz to go left or any other disc i may need to throw my roc in just for the tourney.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Discing down is generally using the slowest disc possible to achieve a shot b/c the slower the disc, the easier it is to control. Say you have a 350' hole and your max D with the Eagle is 320' with a 25' margin for error left and right of where you aim and your max D with the Buzzz is 300' with a 10' margin for error. Discing down to the Buzzz is the wise choice usually b/c the sacrifice in distance is usually compensated by the gain in accuracy, i.e. staying on the fairway. Mold minimalism is somewhat related but it's mainly using the least amount of molds possible so that you can be more familiar with them as opposed to having a different mold for every shot and letting the disc "do the work."

I agree with Spyderpride that you're using way too many putters and that the Magnet can cover all those shots. A Rhyno might be worth keeping if it's windy.

The biggest red flag is this:
Quote:
Star Eagle X -175 For my Max Drives
Pro-D Cyclone 167 for Drives.
You are going against the grain here b/c the norm is to have your max D driver be lightweight and your control driver be heavier for control. If you flipped those weights it would make a lot more sense.

I'd keep the Cyclone, Buzzzes and Magnet and make those the core of your bag, throwing your mids and putters whenever you can, and everything else just for situational shots.

Quote:
if i can't get a buzz to go left or any other disc i may need to throw my roc in just for the tourney.
Practice throwing golf lines in a field, discs on a hyzer, flat, anhyzer, hyzer flips, turnovers, etc. Part of the point of discing down is learning how to shape lines. You'd be surprised how well a Buzzz can go left if you throw with enough hyzer.

You're on your way I think.

Last edited by BrotherDave; 07-23-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 85
Do I really have anything more to add than what BrotherDave said? Nope.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks, Dad

Whoops I totally meant to say my roc goes right and not left. The only reason I have those drivers that way is because everyone says the cyclone was a good disc to use and I went with the smaller weight cause i thought it would help. The eagle is the only one I have. Most people have made it seem like it's a good one to use for the disc'd down bag. I went and played my home course and mainly just used the Cyclone the magnet and the buzzz's. I used the Rhyno and it helped on some long putts i ended up sinking. But Didn't use the eagle... I guess i just have it there as the extra one if the cyclone and I aren't meshing.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 21
Send a message via AIM to NothinButChing
was thinking of discing down too, in the past when I get stuck on midrange discs and start throwing them deeper and deeper it does not translate to the drivers