Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Bag Update

Okay, so I decided to change up my bag drastically. I disced down quite a bit. Here is my previous bag for reference.

Drivers:
175g HPP Blaze
171g Champ Eagle
175g Star Teebird

Mids:
180g KC Pro Roc
175g HPP Warrior
180g S Element
174g HPP Element

Putters:
170g R-Pro Dart
175g Soft Magic

I dumped all my high speed drivers and am now focusing on my Eagle and Teebird. I am trying to learn those two drivers and improve my form so that when I step back up to higher speed drivers, I should be able to get better results.

I also picked up more mids and am learning to drive with them on shorter holes as well as using them for longer approaches.

I am kind of wanting to add an understable disc to my bag to fill in that gap. Any recommendations? Any comments about my bag as a whole? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 7
re: Eagle and Tbird
the eagle is a lot more wind resistant and provides a very good option (vs. Tbird) if the wind is above 10mph (+/-)....
wouldnt the 5g drop between the Eagle and Tbird slightly nullify this effect and turn the eagle into a flippier wind alternate? and (possibly) turn it into a disc that flies identical (via distance, and overall shot usage) but offers a similar line but slightly different; essentially the same disc. (not exact, but calling a "spade a spade" it's the same.)

(i'm wondering out loud about how your drop in weight may affect the flight and potential of this disc...?)

i write this as i carry a TBird, Eagle, and TL and while each could be "brothers" (distance, use, etc) each has highly specific functions; all shots (usually) start with the Tbird as the first choice, but change depending on factors. ("nope, cant use the Tbird... too much wind, need the eagle..."; "cant use the Tbird need the same distance but need to thread a needle....better use the TL"; etc)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjeremiahj View Post
re: Eagle and Tbird
the eagle is a lot more wind resistant and provides a very good option (vs. Tbird) if the wind is above 10mph (+/-)....
wouldnt the 5g drop between the Eagle and Tbird slightly nullify this effect and turn the eagle into a flippier wind alternate? and (possibly) turn it into a disc that flies identical (via distance, and overall shot usage) but offers a similar line but slightly different; essentially the same disc. (not exact, but calling a "spade a spade" it's the same.)
I see what you are getting at but I think the plastic differences negate your theory. Star TB's are noticeably more flippy as they wear in compared to Champ TB's, so the difference is even greater b/w a Champ Eagle and a Star Teebird, especially if the TB gets significantly beat and becomes TL like.

As far as an understable mid goes, I'd have to have thrown Elements before I could really recommend one. I'm assuming it has a stability similar to a Comet or Fuse and that you are looking for fliptastic goodness. In that case you're delving into the world of Stingrays, Skeeters, Panthers, Glides, Meteors, etc. Out of all those, you'd probably like the Stingray and Glide better b/c they have wider diams like your other mids.

I think it's a good bag overall though, especially if the TB is beat enough for understable. Hope that helps and good luck.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subicon View Post
I am kind of wanting to add an understable disc to my bag to fill in that gap. Any recommendations?
my input probably doesn't mean much, as i'm rather inexperienced, but i can really get my ESP meteor out there, and i'm sure you could drive it even farther. love the grip, too
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Par Member

Sorry. I should have specified that I was looking for an understable driver. My two Elements are understable enough for my mid-range needs.

Thing is, I've notice that my Eagle is plenty understable even thought it is fairly new and hasn't hit many trees. I suppose I will have to get a heavier Eagle, because I am having to throw my current Eagle with a decent amount of hyzer to get it to fly straight, especially into a head wind.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
If your goal is imrovement and learning to throw I'd highly recommend:

1) Lower grade plastics, especally for the control driver spot. I'd consider the Star Teebird and Champ Eagle discs that are much better for experienced players who already have good line shaping abilities.

2) Picking one mold for your mids, probably either the Element or Roc.

3) Also picking one mold for your putter.

Your goal should be doing the most with the fewest discs now to learn how to shape lines.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post

1) Lower grade plastics, especally for the control driver spot. I'd consider the Star Teebird and Champ Eagle discs that are much better for experienced players who already have good line shaping abilities.

Your goal should be doing the most with the fewest discs now to learn how to shape lines.

I definately agree with points 2 and 3 here. Pick one mold of a putter and stick with it. It is not the putter that makes you putt better, it is you.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicinalfunk View Post
my input probably doesn't mean much, as i'm rather inexperienced, but i can really get my ESP meteor out there, and i'm sure you could drive it even farther. love the grip, too
just got one of these and love it. Got about a 125 foot in the chains with it and am driving 250+ sometimes with it.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post

1) I tend to stay away from lower grade plastics simply because I value longevity. I started out with a DX Eagle and DX Teebird, but it didn't take too long for them to get warped from tree impacts. I also prefer the feel/grip of higher grade plastics.

2) Right now I am still deciding which one I want to focus on.

3) I use my Magic for 95% of my putts. The Dart is used mostly for approaches as it has a nice glide and will hold lines very well.

I'm still working on narrowing down my bag. I guess I'll stick with my Eagle and Teebird for now. I will probably pick up a heavier Eagle to see if it will be a bit more stable.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subicon View Post

Thing is, I've notice that my Eagle is plenty understable even thought it is fairly new and hasn't hit many trees. I suppose I will have to get a heavier Eagle, because I am having to throw my current Eagle with a decent amount of hyzer to get it to fly straight, especially into a head wind.
Hmm, you may have an Eagle-L then. Check the underside of the rim. If it's pretty flat like a TL then it's an EL, if it's got some curve to it like a Teebird then it's a abnormally understable Eagle-X.