Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM

Courses Played: 3
UV flashlight and glow discs

I love night golf, we go all out, put glow necklaces on all the pins, glow sticks marking the Teeboxes, and of course glow discs, or LED lights taped onto translucent discs.
When we plan night golf, I try to leave my discs out in the sun to soak up as much glow as they can, but it doesn't always last, it's never as bright as those first five minutes.
I carry a LED flashlight, that I use to charge it up before throws, it works ok.
I saw a UV LED flashlight for $10 online, and wondered if a UV flashlight would make that big of a difference to justify buying it. The idea makes sense, but I don't really know enough about the science of it?
Do you?
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 176
Throwing Style: RHBH
UV flashlights are awesome for charging glow discs. They take almost no time to charge (discs basically go from zero to max glow right away) and the light itself doesn't blind you so your eyes stay adjusted to the darkness.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 48
All the difference in the world. UV/Blacklight LED flashlight = SUPER GLOW

…also, what he said! ^^^
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 37
The UV LED lights work much better than regular LED lights. But if you can get your hands on one of the battery powered 6in florescent UV lights, they work almost as well as the sun.
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 29
UV works better than the sun for night golf. Mainly because it doesn't go around lighting everything else up so you can see your glowing disc more clearly.

Also, buy glow duct tape. 10X better than glow plastic.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 19
Bought a roll of glow duct tape and a UV flashlight today in preparation for the rapidly shortening days. I just went and tested the tape/UV combo in my totally dark garage and holy sh*t does that tape glow! The added bonus was how the UV light made even non-glow discs pop out in the dark. Even found a disc that fell under a storage shelf!

Looking forward to trying it out for a night round this week. Can't say I'll miss the process of attaching lights/batteries to my discs.
Old Today, 12:13 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfey View Post
Bought a roll of glow duct tape and a UV flashlight today in preparation for the rapidly shortening days. I just went and tested the tape/UV combo in my totally dark garage and holy sh*t does that tape glow! The added bonus was how the UV light made even non-glow discs pop out in the dark. Even found a disc that fell under a storage shelf!

Looking forward to trying it out for a night round this week. Can't say I'll miss the process of attaching lights/batteries to my discs.
Yep, although I don't use glow tape (tempting) the UV flashlight rocks for all sorts of things (including finding scorpions).
Old Today, 06:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 21
Get a UV light and anything from Vibram's glow lineup. I can use my glow Ibex as a flashlight it's so bright.

Old Today, 07:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
UV LED Flashlight purchased off of eBay for 10 dollars and some glow duct tape. Charge it between throws, although it works so great that it is not necessary before every throw, and you can see the disc well over 300 feet away.