Old 08-22-2016, 05:20 PM

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Ace pool at year end? What to do?

Hey guys!

Just looking for ways different clubs handle this situation.

We are just a few weeks away from our league finals (this is our first year as a club) and naturally we have a weekly ace pool.

Unfortunately, no one has hit one yet, and I'm wondering how you guys deal with the pool at your season end.

Do you just roll it into next year's league? Do a ring of fire, or CTP to get rid of it?

All opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2016, 05:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 105

Toga party.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: LHBH

A fair number of groups will do a ctp in the area I live in. I would put it to a vote with the normal guys that show up week in week out. Good idea would be to keep a fair amount for seed money next year to bump up the player count early on. Give the idea of ctp or some kind of club party if the value is worth it ie. pizza drinks at the course last day of play.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 27

I guess it depends on how big the ace pool is. I'd put it up to a vote between: roll it over, throw a party, put it into course improvements.

Better question: why is your league ending now? Does it start snowing in August where your league plays?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 133

In the doubles I ran, we rolled half of it over to the next year and the other half was used as a skins prize pool on the last week. That way everyone who had contributed to the pot over the course of the season had a chance to win it.

We considered a CTP but that seemed a bit too random - one bad throw and you are out. With skins, you had a number of chances throughout the round to potentially win money.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 164

I think that unless you have clearly stated before the league that money will roll over or not be awarded, that you should find a way to give it all out at the end of the season. Ace pots are a side bet that players paid into. So whether you choose a CTP, skins, ring of fire, etc. is of less consequence to me than do you give it all out.

In our area, we'll typically do a CTP, and depending upon the size of the pool, we'll divvy it up for multiple places -- something like 1st closest 50%, 2nd closest 30%, 3rd 20% ... or if more players, we'll go 45-30-15-10, or on down the line. We also set the CTP close enough that everyone, including juniors and women can reach the hole easily. We even sometimes will increase the amount you get for 1st closest if you ace during the CTP throw-off.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by corin_brown View Post
I guess it depends on how big the ace pool is. I'd put it up to a vote between: roll it over, throw a party, put it into course improvements.

Better question: why is your league ending now? Does it start snowing in August where your league plays?
(This applies to our league here in Billings; not sure about the OP.)

Our weekly park rounds start at 6pm. This time of the year we have to wrap things up because the days get shorter, and it gets dark too quickly to run our normal league format.

Soon, tho, it will be dark enough to start our weekly glow rounds at 6pm Everyone loves winter!
Old 08-22-2016, 07:06 PM

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by corin_brown View Post

Yup same boat here. Our league also start at 6 during the week, and it's starting to get darker earlier (although a glowie league is a good idea)

We already have funds in place for a season end party and trophies/ awards, so that's not an issue.

I do like the idea of only rolling over half and using the rest to giveaway somehow (we are currently at around $250, and I expect it to finish off around 300-325 when we finish)

Please keep the ideas coming.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 124

Well, the time to think about it was at the beginning of the season. That's past, so I'd suggest a team party. That's covered, so......

I'm no longer active, but at one time in our area we ran weekly random-draw doubles, with a points system for individual players. At the end of the year, the top 8 players were entered into sort of a championship round, and some of the funds we raised went to boost the prize pot in that round.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
(This applies to our league here in Billings; not sure about the OP.)

Our weekly park rounds start at 6pm. This time of the year we have to wrap things up because the days get shorter, and it gets dark too quickly to run our normal league format.

Soon, tho, it will be dark enough to start our weekly glow rounds at 6pm Everyone loves winter!
Of course! I forgot about sunlight factor. I'm a dummy. The weekly/league I've played in most is at a par-3 ball golf course with floodlights throughout, that closes at 10, so we play every Monday of the year at 7pm, sunset be damned. Ace pool is always $300-$500. Great weekly.