#11  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
bikinjack's Avatar
bikinjack bikinjack is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,412
I can only imagine throwing a 49 at my local course. Especially with all the baskets in the longs like they are now. One team did shoot a 50 from all the long tees to the long pin positions in our doubles tourney. They won by a few strokes.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
solomon.trenton's Avatar
solomon.trenton solomon.trenton is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winchendon, Massachusetts
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 11,544
so 45 putts at 10', 45 at 15' and then 10 at 20'?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 PM
billnchristy's Avatar
billnchristy billnchristy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: At "the Y"
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 10,150
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.trenton View Post
so 45 putts at 10', 45 at 15' and then 10 at 20'?
Yeah, you can do whatever, but all the pros I know tell us to putt at easy distances to get confidence up so that is what I am doing.

Jack, a 49 would be a 950 or so rated round, 44 was SSA from the shorts, 50 from blues. My previous best is a 55 but that was in shorter pin positions so it was probably barely 900 rated. Seeing as how my rating is 830 I would be ecstatic getting a >900 round.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
dodgeball's Avatar
dodgeball dodgeball is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Christy and I gave up at least 8 birdies last weekend at a mixed doubles tourney and we both got fed up with it. Now these weren't gimmes but they weren't stupid long either...we hit metal or chains every time but never got one to stick.

So, to remedy this we are going out and throwing 100 putts a day, alternating 10 and 15 feet...all designed for confidence, the final 10 is at 20' and is kind of a "review" to see if you have learned anything.

We started Monday and I am at:

92%, 91%, 96%

she is at:

81%, 82%, 80%

I am going to finish the week at 10 and 15 and might move back from there...it is certainly helping and I have learned a few things that I will have to do on the course:

1) I will always hold a putter in my off hand from now on...I tend to practice with a stack and I started holding one in each hand today and did really well, so this will be my technique.

2) I cannot sit there and futz around, walk up, focus, throw...no dilly bopping around anymore...the more I jerk off before the shot the more often I miss...Christy actually said I had a rhythm going with equal timing between putts as I bent down to grab a new putter, aim and fire.

3) I cannot "focus on a link" like others tell you to do, but I can focus on the pole...and hit it, so that is my target.

I am much happier with my putting already and can't wait to see how it translates in a round, though I won't get disappointed because I have only been at it a few days.

I love that u have come up with a unique routine that u can feel confident in. I kind of feel that just practicing going through your routine and the psychological part of it is just as important as the physical aspect. Having said that, I've gone to a new technique, the long-arm or pendulum technique. But more than anything, it's about the first technique I have found that I am really comfortable with. Now I just have to refine my routine!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
bcr123psu's Avatar
bcr123psu bcr123psu is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,305
I had a routine going this past winter. I built a Frankenbasket and put it in my basement and put tape down every five feet. Just like Bill did, the first throws were designed for confidence. 10 from the 5' line. Then I'd step back to the 10' mark (practically gimmies). If I made all the putts from there, I'd step back to the 15' mark. If I made all the putts from there, I'd step back to the 20' mark. If I missed any of the putts, I'd walk back to the previous mark and throw.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
scarwig's Avatar
scarwig scarwig is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edgartown, MA USA
Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post

I'm a pole focuser too FWIW.
the quality of my putts are directly related to whether or not i can get my eyes to "lock in" on the pole.

that being said I will start my 100 putt a day regimen. I've been slacking
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 PM
bikinjack's Avatar
bikinjack bikinjack is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,412
According to this, ssa for "Stankin' Rankin" would be 1075 for a 49. The best I've done is a 69, I think. 909 rating according to that estimator. Wow, I thought I was doing ok.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
tmahan tmahan is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Years Playing: 31.4
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Christy and I gave up at least 8 birdies last weekend at a mixed doubles tourney and we both got fed up with it. Now these weren't gimmes but they weren't stupid long either...we hit metal or chains every time but never got one to stick.

So, to remedy this we are going out and throwing 100 putts a day, alternating 10 and 15 feet...all designed for confidence, the final 10 is at 20' and is kind of a "review" to see if you have learned anything.

We started Monday and I am at:

92%, 91%, 96%

she is at:

81%, 82%, 80%

I am going to finish the week at 10 and 15 and might move back from there...it is certainly helping and I have learned a few things that I will have to do on the course:

1) I will always hold a putter in my off hand from now on...I tend to practice with a stack and I started holding one in each hand today and did really well, so this will be my technique.

2) I cannot sit there and futz around, walk up, focus, throw...no dilly bopping around anymore...the more I jerk off before the shot the more often I miss...Christy actually said I had a rhythm going with equal timing between putts as I bent down to grab a new putter, aim and fire.

3) I cannot "focus on a link" like others tell you to do, but I can focus on the pole...and hit it, so that is my target.

I am much happier with my putting already and can't wait to see how it translates in a round, though I won't get disappointed because I have only been at it a few days.

My only suggestion would be whatever rhythm you develop in practice you take with you for the 'money' putts. You probably won't have a putter on your off hand during a match so I suggest you drop this part. On the other hans, I guess there's no rule about having a putter in the off hand while you putt, is there?

I can't emphasize enough about practicing exactly like you'd play in a match. This way when you've got the yips standing over a testy 20'er you can remind yourself that if you follow the same routine that allows you to make 90% in practice you'll make this one too. For me it provides the relaxation to counter the yips.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 AM
craftsman craftsman is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Liv. Mi.
Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 40
Posts: 4,959
Ashleigh and I whooped up this weeked in casual doubles this weekend. While all the guys thought ash would be a disadvantage to me, she brought her puttin game

First we went and got her a new "old" magnet. She loved the feel and the fact that it is hers- not a loaner or gift. We have a skill shot in the disc cave (basement). Whenever I'd hand her her putter I'd whisper " basement putt" or that's a pole/ doorway putt. She felt confident knowing she hits those hundreds of times per week. That comfort/confidence even led to some birdie putts outside of her normal range

I also find practicing "easy" putts helps me more. I have a wheel so I know the pole is 12' and my door is 17'
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 AM
PanicKJ PanicKJ is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockwell, NC
Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 25
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmahan View Post
You probably won't have a putter on your off hand during a match so I suggest you drop this part. On the other hans, I guess there's no rule about having a putter in the off hand while you putt, is there?
There is a pro who does this. I saw him last year at the usdgc. can't remember the name however I know he is old enough to play masters and he can throw left handed and right handed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.