Old 03-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Birdie Member

Did I do a bad thing?

The other day I happened to throw one of my misguided drives, hit a tree and the disc flopped back into a stinky creek right in front of the tee box.

There were three young boys sloshing around in the creek just down from the tee box. I, not wanting to climb into this stench filled mess, asked them if they would find my disc if I gave them a couple of bucks.

The oldest one, about 13, came down and immediately found a disc but it wasn't mine. About 30 seconds later, he found mine.

I saw the other disc had a name on it and realized it belonged to a very nice lady pro that I have a lot of respect for. I reached in my pocket and tried to hand the young man a $5 bill for both discs.

He took the money and said he was going to keep the other disc. I told him the fiver was for both discs and apparently he didn't know about the bad mojo that comes with not returning a disc to its rightful owner.

He asked me what mojo was and I told him it was basically bad luck. He looked me straight in the face and said he didn't give a #@$%, about mojo he was keeping the disc and the money.

I reached into my bag, pulled out a disc I haven't thrown in awhile and said I would trade him for her disc or it was now bad mojo time.

He said hell, no and told me where to stick my bad mojo.

I said let me explain about the bad mojo. If you don't give me that disc right now, I'm going to climb down there, take the disc and the money and the only thing you're going to end up with is no disc, no money, a black eye and a fat lip.

He finally flipped the disc up on the bank and told me to do something that is anatomically impossible. I flipped my disc down to him and told him to have a good life.

Did I do a bad thing for the future of disc golf?

Woodpecker
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
I can see where you came from in that situation.

Your lucky the kid didnt know his laws though. After you told him you were gonna beat his a$$ he could have, dropped your disc back in the water, givin you your 5 back, kept the other disc he found, and said, "if you touch me im calling the cops and your going to jail for assault and battery".

lol, good thing for you all he could think about at the time was getting his 13 year old a$$ beat by an adult.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to sub ceroh
I think you did the right thing. Kids now days have no respect at all. It's like I tell my kids THEY WILL NEVER FIND YOU'RE BODY!!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 11
Send a message via AIM to disc-o maniac
yea you definatly did the right thing i hate people that think they're cool by being stupid....and kids like that dont deserve to enjoy disc golf
Old 03-01-2009, 10:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 156
I think you definitely did the wrong thing. Don't take me wrong, the motive was right and its awesome that you offered one of your discs for trade. The fact of the matter is the kid found the disc in a place that some other person refused to go. If he was nice he would return it.

There is no disc "mojo" and there is never any reason to threaten anyone with physical harm like this on the disc golf course. Why wouldn't that give YOU the bad mojo? That was also cool to give them a couple bucks. I frequently see people retrieving discs for others without so much as a thank you.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via MSN to srm_520 Send a message via Yahoo to srm_520
You did the right thing until you go back to the parking lot to find your tires sliced and your car on fire.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl scott View Post
I think you definitely did the wrong thing. Don't take me wrong, the motive was right and its awesome that you offered one of your discs for trade. The fact of the matter is the kid found the disc in a place that some other person refused to go. If he was nice he would return it.

There is no disc "mojo" and there is never any reason to threaten anyone with physical harm like this on the disc golf course. Why wouldn't that give YOU the bad mojo? That was also cool to give them a couple bucks. I frequently see people retrieving discs for others without so much as a thank you.
Why it escalated to the point it did was:

First, I made it clear that my offer was for two dollars to find my disc which I already had in my hand when he started feeling around for my disc. When I saw the lady's disc, I put the two bucks away and pulled out the five and made it clear to him that the five was for both discs.

Well, when I held the five out, he snatched it out of my hand and then told me he was keeping the disc. It was pretty obvious from the look on his face that he thought he had gotten away with something. No doubt in my mind, if he hadn't been standing in water up to his waist, he would have broke and run with one or both discs.

Second, what a mouth this kid had on him. He never cussed until he thought he'd pulled a move on me. Arrogance, plain and simple, like what are you going to do about now?

I'm big on lessons and this kid definitely needed one.

Up until that point, even if he hadn't found my disc, I was going to give him the two bucks anyway just for his effort.

Would I have jumped in the water? Damn right, in a quarter of a second but I know I wouldn't have hit him. I would, however, have gotten my money and her disc back just to teach him a lesson.

I didn't say this in the original post because I have a tendency to write novels as you can see.

Woodpecker
Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 232
I think, for the most part, you did the right thing. The verbal threat comes close to crossing the line, even though he sounding like a punk, and probably deserved it for the disrespect he gave you. I'm sure the female pro will be happy seeing her disc again, and that will make your kind gesture worth it.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Birdie Member

Oh, and by the way, the lady was very happy to get her disc back. It was her favorite driver.

Her husband was real happy, too, since he was the one who was going to have to retrieve the disc after he got home from work.

Which brings up another philosophical point. Shouldn't women retrieve their own discs? LOL

Woodpecker

Last edited by Woodpecker; 03-01-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm_520 View Post
You did the right thing until you go back to the parking lot to find your tires sliced and your car on fire.
Since I'm semi-retired and really have nothing to do other than play disc golf, I would make it my life's quest to find out who did it and really teach them a lesson.

And I'm very well insured. If I run over Bill Gates, I'm covered plus I could use a new car.

As long as my disc bag weren't in the car at the time. No worries. The hell with the car, if my bag was in the car when it went up, that's a killing offense in some states, isn't it? LOL

Woodpecker< (doesn't advocate violence but learned a long time ago sometimes it's the only thing some people understand)

Last edited by Woodpecker; 03-01-2009 at 11:45 AM.