Disc Golf Store
Old 03-01-2009, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
I didn't say this in the original post because I have a tendency to write novels as you can see.
good call
Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 18
Her favorite driver is worth threatening a 13 year old? Your not going to teach him a lesson. Obviously he has developed that attitude from his upbringing and one encounter isn't going to change that. Threatening him just increased his distrust of the older generation. You should have just gone and gotten the disc yourself. Punishment for throwing it down there in the first place.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprowl View Post
Her favorite driver is worth threatening a 13 year old? Your not going to teach him a lesson. Obviously he has developed that attitude from his upbringing and one encounter isn't going to change that. Threatening him just increased his distrust of the older generation. You should have just gone and gotten the disc yourself. Punishment for throwing it down there in the first place.

13, 30 or 50 yrs. old, it makes no difference. Most of the stupid people I know are over 30 because they haven't learn much about right and wrong in their time on this planet.

I know I'm a dinosaur in the current politically correct enviroment we live in. I grew up in a time when if the school yard bully threatened you, you duked it out with your fists, win, lose, or draw. And that was the end of it.

Now, if your kid offends someone else's kid, the school, the police, lawyers get involved along with the other kid pulling a 9mm and shooting everyone in sight.

Everyone is looking for someone else to take care of the problem for them because their feelings got hurt.

Sorry, I ain't buying into that BS. It's the major reason why we have the problems in today's society.

But don't worry. Us ol' schoolers are croaking at a pretty good rate, so all the PC people don't have that long to worry.

Those people can have the society they've built for themselves.

Not me, when it comes to what's right and wrong, I'll take care of it in my own way.

But then again, you can't fix stupid. LOL

Woodpecker
Old 03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 56
no question in my mind you did the right thing, i dont think it would be wrong to go down there and bitch slap the little prick maybe not wise but deff not wrong. i dont think we should let our fear stop us from doing whats right , who knows maybe it would of stopped him from mouthing off to someone who would do more than slap him
Old 03-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 49
Thumbs up

very touchy subject, a 13 y.o. with that much disrespect is bad for all and will probably be bad for society. I see where you came from and understand and even can say I can't blame you, but the fact is you did threaten a kid with physical pain and you did cross the line. It would have been better to use your maturity and patience with him and not let yourself get ticked off at a brat. The lesson that needed to be taught was one of self discipline and self control, bottom line anytime you let a kid bother you or get to you, you lose. I am glad you got the discs back!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 56
thank you woodpecker

dude our parents threatend to spank us all the time growing up, a lesson to teach us, do the wrong thing and theres consequences a threat of violence in and of itself is not crossing the line especially if you mean it . its more like a courtesy , a warning if you will. i thank wood pecker for having the balls to stand up and offer this punk a lesson, what do they say it takes a village to raise a child.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 107
Woodpecker, you did the right thing. Letting him get away with it would have just been encouraging that sort of behavior. And given the situation, I think you handled it in the best way possible. I hope if something like that happens to me I'll be able to do the same thing you did.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 54
You need to be careful when dealing with kids now days. All that 13 year old has to say is that you pulled out your "pecker" and waved it at them, and you are going to jail. Plus its your word against theirs and they tend to believe kids.

I like my discs, but I don't worry about other peoples disc. Its not worth the fight. You got yours back, and they lady has to get hers back. If the kid acted stupid with me, I would have just walked away.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:57 PM

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 17
Your goal was noble, your methods were not

I have to agree with the person who put the post up below mine (I tried to quote it, but it would not let me, so I pasted it below).

I'm 29 years old. So I would like to think I'm somewhere in the middle of the age bracket that most people playing this game are. That being said. I think your approach was wrong. This is just based on the brief summary that you gave. However I think threatening anyone with a beating is wrong.

My question is...Did you explain to the kid that you knew the lady who owned the disc and that you knew she would want it back?

I know you said that you offered him a few extra bucks, that's nice but just playing devils advocate here, he may have thought you knew the lady was a pro, and that the disc could fetch more money being sold on ebay (just a for instance). He may have assumed you were trying to swindle him out of some extra cash for his work).

All of that being said - it does not excuse the kid from all the cussing, however (and with all due respect) it's not your job to be his father/guardian. Sure he was rude/crude and socially unacceptable, however that does not give you the right to threaten a kid.

I guess I'm torn between thinking what you did was ultimately be a bully and understanding your reasoning. In the end, you were still a bully to the kid.

Again - this is just my opinion.

--------------------------
I think you definitely did the wrong thing. Don't take me wrong, the motive was right and its awesome that you offered one of your discs for trade. The fact of the matter is the kid found the disc in a place that some other person refused to go. If he was nice he would return it.

There is no disc "mojo" and there is never any reason to threaten anyone with physical harm like this on the disc golf course. Why wouldn't that give YOU the bad mojo? That was also cool to give them a couple bucks. I frequently see people retrieving discs for others without so much as a thank you.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon77 View Post
very touchy subject, a 13 y.o. with that much disrespect is bad for all and will probably be bad for society. I see where you came from and understand and even can say I can't blame you, but the fact is you did threaten a kid with physical pain and you did cross the line. It would have been better to use your maturity and patience with him and not let yourself get ticked off at a brat. The lesson that needed to be taught was one of self discipline and self control, bottom line anytime you let a kid bother you or get to you, you lose. I am glad you got the discs back!
The kid didn't get me upset. I just explained the choices to him and he took the right one.

Let me explain one thing. I estimated this kid's age at 13 from a couple of factors. One, the other boys he was with looked to be in the 11-12 year old range. Kids usually hang out with other kids within a year of their age group. The kid was much taller than the other two and had matured and filled out pretty good. Second, he cussed like a sailor and you don't get that flow without lots of pratice. LOL

He might have been 15-16 for all I know.

The older I get, the harder time I have telling young people's age. Driving by a school these days, all I can say is, they didn't build 'em like that when I was in school. LOL

Woodpecker