Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Nockamixon, Windlestrae, other crimes against humanity

I can't take it anymore! My beloved home course that I learned to play on, The World Class Lake Nockamixon has been snipped of it's final 4 holes due to some crazy bird lady who complained to the Park about some birds nests. Oh what a crime! If we were in Texas and not Pennsylvania I think someone might just shoot the damn birds or maybe the bird lady! LOL bad joke I am just frustrated the more I think of it. Nocky set the standard in PA for adventure disc golf and the next wave rushed in behind her. Moraine, Deer Lakes, and Whispering Falls all came after Nocky pushed the limits of what disc golf could be. BTW the birds are not that endangered by the course at all they roost everywhere..above highways noisier and more dangerous places wtf! Windlestrae also was victimized by some fake environmental concerns drummed up by selfish neighbors....I want to know if anyone can give similiar stories, thoughts on these courses, or has had similiar problems and perhaps somehow triumphed over these nazi-naturalist who I think are just misguided. No one loves nature more than us disc golfers. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 32
tell that to all the *******s who have left a couple hundred pounds of litter at woodland park in collinsville, illinois.

granted it probably came more from other park patrons that dg'ers, but who's gonna be the scapegoat?

public perception is still the same... dg'ers are all disrespecting pot-smoking hippies.

i agree it's BS, but what can we do?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 22
Optidisc,
does that mean Windlestrae is closed???
Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
no Windlestrae has just been shortened and is a remnant of the original concept. Therefore no one will play it and thus it is in jeopardy to be pulled.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Eagle Member

Spring break is coming up and I was considering playing Windlestrae ... maybe Ill play it sooner than later in case it does get pulled ... there seems to be a few 9-holers around there. Although a trip up to Allentown/Bethlehem sounds so much more appealing

Knocky is dissapointing that its missing the last 4 holes. I wish they would figure something out to either reopen the holes or move them ...
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Did they actually remove the baskets or just say you can't play them?
You should prepare a short 10 min presentation to the city parks and rec department and explain to them the benefits of this disc golf course. Tell them how the loss of 4 holes has greatly effected the popularity of this course. Try to do a little research about the said birds and find a solution that lets you guys keep those 4 holes.

At my local course the hawks have been mating lately and they are everywhere, I never new there were so many. Some douche bags were throwing their discs at them the other day so I chucked one at them saying it was an accident that it got so close to hitting them, I was just trying to knock their disc out of the air before it hit the hawk. Sorry, that was a pointless side story but it's nice venting to someone...

If the bird's aren't endangered you should have rights as a dg'er to keep your holes and let the bird lady "relocate" those guys somewhere else. Might want to check local laws and throw some of them into your presentation. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 232
Throwing Style: RHBH
Is there anyway 4 new holes can be made, that are as good or better than the pulled holes? I think it's a perfect opportunity to take this set back and make it a positive. If you can't make new holes, can you use these baskets as alternate pins on 4 holes begging for an alternate pin?

I know this sucks, but it will probably take money and time to prove that the birds are not at risk, and you could still lose the baskets. Make a provisional plan in case you do lose the 4 holes.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 249
Nockamixon? Say it ain't so! One of the greatest courses around. optidiscic, if you could, keep us updated on this. I don't live as close to Nocky as I used to 6 months ago, but if the Disc golf community is gonna get together to do something about this I'm in. If anything Nockamixon should be getting an expansion, not a cut.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 78
haven't those 4 holes been closed for a long time? or are they closing 4 more?

i have had to redesign holes on 2 courses due to birdhouse issues. very few people actually care about them but the ones who do are fanatics.

we have also basically had our hands tied at loriella as far as doing any work due to forestry concerns from people who have no understanding of even basic forestry. eventually their wishes (which trump everyone else's due to the fact that their parents donated the land to the county 30 years ago) will result in a dangerous, fire-prone piece of woods.

kind of leaves me fed up with public parks in general.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
haven't those 4 holes been closed for a long time? or are they closing 4 more?
Yes, these 4 holes have been closed for some time now (at least a couple of years).