Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 111
Throwing Style: RHBH
My Star Roc is an Ontario mold. Would like RC too.

Was the Star Roc made in Rancho mold? I bought one that's an Ontario mold, but would a Rancho as this one is a bit understable right out of the gate. It has less fade than my DX Ranchos also.

Gerrit
Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 214
Yes, I believe there are Rancho stars (I think I have one in my box of Rocs), but I'd recommend grabbing a Super Roc -- the plastic is very similar to star, and the Super Rocs are all RC mold. And the Super Rocs are much easier to find than star Rancho Rocs are. I think you can still pick up star Super Roc x-outs for ~$10-12; new they're only a few $ more than that.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by t i m View Post
Yes, I believe there are Rancho stars (I think I have one in my box of Rocs), but I'd recommend grabbing a Super Roc -- the plastic is very similar to star, and the Super Rocs are all RC mold. And the Super Rocs are much easier to find than star Rancho Rocs are. I think you can still pick up star Super Roc x-outs for ~$10-12; new they're only a few $ more than that.
I second that, i purchased a super rancho roc on a whim and its is my go to midrange. release it on a hyzer watcch it fade, release it on an anny and watch it turn. i honestly dont understand why innova doesnt rep the super roc more, its such a great disc.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 78
Isn't a 'Super-Roc' totally different than a 'Rancho'?? I had a super-Roc once & hated it. Big ol domey POS. Love my flat top Rancho roc's
Old 03-03-2009, 06:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 152
I always thought the SuperRoc was different than the Rancho as well. They do make star Ranchos and 2006 was the first time they made it so they haven't been around that long and they aren't easy to find. The cheapest one on ebay right now is buy it now at $39.99 and the most expensive is $124.99 and there are only 7 listings.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: LHBH
Super Roc = Pro plastic roc made from the Rancho Cucamonga mold.
Rancho Roc = Any roc that is made with the Rancho Cucamonga mold.

There are also "San Marino" rocs and "Ontario" rocs. Made with the San Marino and Ontario molds, respectively.

San Marino rocs are a bit less overstable by nature and the Rancho rocs are the more overstable. The Ontario rocs lie somewhere in the middle.

Super Rocs are primarily made for World's fundraisers, while Star and Champion Rancho rocs are made exclusively for the USDGC.

The current primary mold is the Rancho mold. All regular production DX rocs are Rancho rocs. However, the San Marino and Ontario molds are still used occasionally for fundraiser programs, etc.

Any other questions?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks, I checked out the one on E-bay and might consider it. I spent my self-imposed monthly disc limit on some darts and a KC Pro Roc though so I may have to wait.

I probably can't control myself though

splash_4 pointed me to a Japan open 150 class rancho in star, but I'd probably turn that over every toss...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillim View Post
Any other questions?
Yeah, how do you tell 'em apart?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Birdie Member

It's part of the mold. There is raised lettering on the underside of the disc.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillim View Post
Super Roc = Pro plastic roc made from the Rancho Cucamonga mold.
Rancho Roc = Any roc that is made with the Rancho Cucamonga mold.

There are also "San Marino" rocs and "Ontario" rocs. Made with the San Marino and Ontario molds, respectively.

San Marino rocs are a bit less overstable by nature and the Rancho rocs are the more overstable. The Ontario rocs lie somewhere in the middle.

Super Rocs are primarily made for World's fundraisers, while Star and Champion Rancho rocs are made exclusively for the USDGC.

The current primary mold is the Rancho mold. All regular production DX rocs are Rancho rocs. However, the San Marino and Ontario molds are still used occasionally for fundraiser programs, etc.

Any other questions?
A quick correction on relative stabilities of the different molds: I agree that Ranchos are the most overstable, but most people consider the San Marino's to be in the middle and the Ontarios to be the least stable of the Roc molds. Extensive personal experience confirms that.

Even the Star Ontarios are straight or slightly flippy out of the box. You can put more on a San Marino and have it hold a hyzer line than you can on an Ontario.

Also, a suggestion for the original poster: consider picking up a Champion Rancho instead of a Star Rancho. The Champion Rancho X-outs from the last USDGC are still available for $17 each in max weight. They are sweet discs. The X-out Champ San Marinos are also still available -- also sweet discs, and have a great hyzer finish at the end (they are my go-to Roc for wind or hyzer upshots). Much cheaper option than a Star Rancho, and the Champs will hold up better.

But I still love the Super Rocs. Best VALUE for a Roc, IMHO. Beat great, last a long time, great grip, and cheap.