Disc Golf Store
Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 58
Going to Colorado Springs

I will be going to Colorado Springs to visit a buddy sometime in the next 6 weeks. I won't have a car and will be relying on him for transportation. While he won't go out and play 6 rounds in the short days we'll have, he'll drive me to a different course everyday to play one round. I'll probably realistically only be there for 3 days.

So, in 3 days only playing one round a day, what 3 courses in the Colorado Springs area do you recommend? I see Denver isn't far, but I don't know that he'll be willing to drive that far unless we already have plans to go there. I also see some pretty nice looking courses. Anyone wanna be my guide?

Post em here or PM me.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 146
Throwing Style: RHBH
I spent 4th of July weekend down there and played almost every course possible in Springs and Pueblo over a 48 hour period.

If you can only pick 3, here are the ones I would go with:

1) Cottonwood Creek: On the short side but challenging pin placements (when in the longs). Must go early though to avoid ridiculous overcrowding.

2) Pueblo City Park: Will be a bit of a drive down to Pueblo but its worth it. Great park style course with some decent distance and tough lines. Will also get busy on weekends.

3) Widefield Park: Another park style course but with much easier lines than Pueblo. Well kept plus easy to follow and also score low on your first time out.

Bonus, if you can get there, courses:

Golden Bell: A decent drive west from Colorado Springs but if you want a taste of mountain golf this is your closest option. Plenty of elevation, not very long, and easy to score well if the wind isn't up. Make sure to call ahead.

Beaver Ranch: This would be well out of your way but I shouldn't have to tell you why it's worth playing.

Last edited by klay; 09-30-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Eagle Member

Also, talk to LeewayeDiscGolf.

He lives in Pueblo and was helpful when I was doing the same thing you are.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Nice. Thanks Klay.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 51
If you are a PDGA member, which it appears you then hit up Sakuna Pines DGC. It is only open to PDGA members and members of some Colorado Clubs. Its on private property so they would like to keep it on the down low. The course is not on here, but use this link. Sakuna Pines is an awesome course that will challenge you to play smart golf. I would echo what Klay said about Cottonwood. Go here early or don't go at all. Early meaning before 10am. Widefield is a great course and is only about 20 mins away from Cottonwood. In contrast to Widefield, this course gets little play.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

camgolfer, thanks. im pretty sure this is one of the private courses i heard about and have wanted to try out. ill check directions from my buddy's house and see what courses I'll be stopping at.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 85
Klay has it right on with his suggestions. Actually there really are not that many options around here. Pueblo is a great all around course, but if you want a true taste of the mountains, then Golden Bell would be it. Otherwise Cottonwood Creek is pretty good. There is also the option os the HP course, if you don't get kicked off, that is a great course as well.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by klay View Post
I spent 4th of July weekend down there and played almost every course possible in Springs and Pueblo over a 48 hour period.

If you can only pick 3, here are the ones I would go with:

1) Cottonwood Creek: On the short side but challenging pin placements (when in the longs). Must go early though to avoid ridiculous overcrowding.

2) Pueblo City Park: Will be a bit of a drive down to Pueblo but its worth it. Great park style course with some decent distance and tough lines. Will also get busy on weekends.

3) Widefield Park: Another park style course but with much easier lines than Pueblo. Well kept plus easy to follow and also score low on your first time out.

Bonus, if you can get there, courses:

Golden Bell: A decent drive west from Colorado Springs but if you want a taste of mountain golf this is your closest option. Plenty of elevation, not very long, and easy to score well if the wind isn't up. Make sure to call ahead.

Beaver Ranch: This would be well out of your way but I shouldn't have to tell you why it's worth playing.
I actually have never made it to the springs but shouldn't sakuna pines be at the top of that list? Just outside of the springs (much closer than pueblo) I have heard its the best.

Looks like someone beat me to it. It really is supposed to be a great course though.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post
I actually have never made it to the springs but shouldn't sakuna pines be at the top of that list? Just outside of the springs (much closer than pueblo) I have heard its the best.

Looks like someone beat me to it. It really is supposed to be a great course though.
I didn't want to advertise it and go against the wishes of the club and property owners to keep it as private as possible.

But since the word is out, yes, it is a chart topper. Just be sure to bring your A game or leave your pride at home. This course will crush you if you aren't damn near perfect, especially on your first try.

If you do make it to Sakuna, try and get someone who knows it to play with you. I was thankful to have JeffThroW show me around. Contact him if you want a good guide. Tell him Klay from Edwards sent you.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:15 PM
* Ace Member *

I'm retarded. My friend lives in Boulder, not CO Springs.