Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 2
The Process

I started a thread a while back about a process to help a player decide what kinds of discs they want in their bag and to help develop form and playing styles. Since the thread is so many days old I can't post anything else and would like to pick it up at a much slower pace. I've discussed this with Garu and Mike C and I will post what I can about it and update my personal progress here. If anyone wants to give it a try feel free to join me, and don't feel like you have to do every step.

Prep) Drills - throughout the course of this I will be doing the "Pound The Hammer" and Towel Snap drills. I will also have putting and field practice to better control the discs and become more familiar with everything in the game.

Step 1) Putting and Putters - In this step I will only use my putter and will be testing out the Firm and XLink Ridge and Summit. I will do one disc rounds with them and will try to drive, approach, roll, annie, flex, and everything else with them. I will also further investigate the difference between spin putting, push putting, and try to further develop my weird so far personal style of "Drop putting". This will, by far, be the longest step as I seek to push my putter to 300' in distance.

Step 2) Mids - I'm dedicating to the Comet to help correct form and to be one of two mids I'll allow myself. I'm also going to keep the Buzzz a little longer but will try my Rocs again soon. I kind of miss them but am liking the comet a lot and may just pair it with a KC Roc. I will try to push these out to 360'ish but I understand if that is too lofty a goal.

Step 3) Tweener - I will be using a Pro D Cyclone to transition to winged discs because in my discing down process I have had a lot of success with my Ridge and Comet and some great drives with winged discs but I feel the Cyclone will better facilitate the transion.

Step 4) True Fairways - I'm going to test out the Teebird, Ascent, and a few other further fairway drivers to see what I want to be my primary fairway with the Banshee as my wind/overstable utility disc. I desire these to be 420'ish.

I will later explain the other steps marking the posts with this
----------------------UPDATE----------------------
but will share personal success/information separately.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
You can bring back old threads, you just have to check a little box at the bottom.

How are you gauging your progress? Scored rounds, distance measurements, etc? I'd try to find some way to quantify your process just to safeguard against an exercise in futility. Gnome sayin'?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

hehe, yeah. Too bad I suck at that kind of thing. What I do do though is (hehe dodo...) use a football field to measure my putter throws. at the beginning of the summer I was hardly getting past 150' with putters. After Am Worlds I was hitting 200' and before I hurt my back/neck I was breaking through 250' I went out and did a little throwing tonight after some hammer drill practice but sadly it was not on a marked field. I was rather impressed with some of the throws and will venture to say I'm just kissing 300' with one firm and one xlink summit and Ridge. I actually want to run something past blake on DGR because I may have figured out something he's been looking for... but probably not.

A couple ideas. Continue to measure my putter drives but then also print out the 360 putting thing and do that at least twice a week. As for putting I actually most like Mark Ellis's putting confidence program as I've seen the fastest progress with it. Its also let me hit some sweet putts in game

mind giving me a hand finding a better way to track my progress? maybe an excel sheet?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 60
I'm doing something similar. I initially planned to do everything in 1 week segments but I think I'm going to do it in 2 or 3 week blocks.

Basically, start with a putter. After the first segment, add mids, then fairways, then distance discs, then specialty discs like rollers and meathooks.

During each segment the goals are as follows:

-Become proficient in every throwing style with the given disc (FH, BH, OH, FH roller, BH roller etc.)
-Increase max distance with every disc
-Become intimately familiar with every mold and learn what it's capable of and what it isn't.
-Force youself to use slower discs than you normally do for given holes on your course and show yourself that in all likelihood you can use slow, more controllable discs on the holes you play.

It's been great fun. I'm afraid I'm not going to want to move on to the second block though because I'm enjoying my putter rounds too much. I've increased my max D, gotten world better at FH and BH rollers, and I'm developing much cleaner FH form too. I've also parked holes with Wizards I'd use my Buzz, Stalker or Predator for normally, and that's a great feeling.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM
* Ace Member *

You and your wizards... you'd think you were selling them or something...

Also as far as learning every shot I don't think I will because I would prefer to learn how to do BH with both hands since I have it available to me. At the moment my RH is only 50' shorter than my Left so its just a matter of refining the technique now. But just to say it here I will do RH and LH BH, and also work with RH and LH Rollers (BH and FH). Since doing the hammer pound FH drill is so easy and see's the most success the quickest I may try to have at least a respectable RH and L FH for approach and select purposes.

Also last night I had some beautiful throws with my Summits and Ridges but I wasn't on a football field to measure. However I've gotten use to the distance of football fields so I feel okay giving rough estimates.

Summits - I think I've added a bit more distance to my game with the hammer drills because I threw very clean 250-280 anhyzers accidentally. By accidentally I mean I used the same hyzer angle I usually do for 250-280 and the disc annied out. I thew on a little more hyzer and am certain I was just cresting over 300'
Ridges - Its funny to see their flight path at 300' because it just went straight out for 260'is and then started to fade. Oddly reminded me of my old Teerex... when I was OAT tourque monkey. But the flight was correct. I did flutter once with the Firm Ridge and it annied out for 240'...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
* Ace Member *

That's cool being able to throw well with either hand. If you ever injure one you won't be fully out of commission. If I broke a finger on my right hand skateboarding it'd be hilarious watching me try to play left handed.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

like that one Orc FH you did in that video
Old 10-06-2010, 11:53 PM
* Ace Member *

----------------------UPDATE----------------------

hit the field with my Ridges and Summits. Hit some 280' dead straight shots. I feel like I still need to get more air under them to stretch them out because on the Summit is fading and that is because I throw it so high. It just stalls to much.

I had a bit of that "Ah ha" moment everyone talks about. I noticed my little hammer pound I have was working nice but I wasn't following through. As I focused on my follow through I lost the hammer. As I focused on both I had a couple clicks and got the totally straight shots that I use to have to flex to. There is definitely something to the hammer pound stuff combined with the right peck drill. Looking forward to more driving practice and putting practice soon. Despite the weather.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Any thoughts regarding possible nose up?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

^^^
anyone willing to give me some nose down tips? I think that's been an issue of mine for a while and I'd love some advice. I've tried Bradly Walker's overstable nose down drill but it still just isn't working out it seems. Lets talks talk some nose down a bit.