Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Chicago to Dayton/Cincinnati

We have next Monday off, so we're headed to Ohio. We were thinking of hitting up the Dayton and Cincinnati areas, what should we make sure to hit? We've played Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, Mt. Airy and AJ Jolly in Cincinnati and nothing in Dayton. If there's something not right in those areas that's worth an extra drive to play, we're definitely interested. TIA.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 186
Not sure of your route, but if you come down south enough in Indiana, you should check out France Park in Logansport. A homely lil' course that is just a super blast to play. Maybe the funnest I've played other than Flip. And that is a ringing endorsement!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 33
^it must be, because flip was amazing! greatest group of guys to disc with ever
Old 10-04-2010, 11:36 PM
<------ your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheType View Post
^it must be, because flip was amazing! greatest group of guys to disc with ever
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 711
George Wilson and Ox Bow were nice "old school" courses. One of the Lemon designers, Bart, who gave Valpo praise (rightfully so, of course) mentioned those two to us as well. I enjoyed them in years gone by. They may be a bit short by modern standards; but, may be old school gems as well. Check in with Discflinger for that part of the country. I believe he may know of an unknown course or two as well.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 PM
<------ your ad here

Mashy's already played George Wilson, we've discussed it before. Ox Bow is pretty cool, this is the time of year to play it. Absolutely dreadful in the summer because of the low, swampy elevation=mosquito haven.

Personally, I'd rather play Rum Village than George Wilson, any day. George Wilson is "meh" at best, unless you like mostly open, grassy fields with a few big hills.

Reason I suggested France Park was because I'm 99% sure Mashy hasn't hit it up yet. I'd be very interested to hear his opinion and rating on it. It's the course I struggle with the most as far as where it should be rated.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 121
wow, with all those great cincy courses you mentioned, we don't have anything quite at that level but we have other courses in the Dayton area that are still fun plays. Sycamore, Bellmont, Englewood in that order would be the courses I would recommend you check out.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Not sure of your route, but if you come down south enough in Indiana, you should check out France Park in Logansport. A homely lil' course that is just a super blast to play. Maybe the funnest I've played other than Flip. And that is a ringing endorsement!
Probably won't get there on the way to Ohio, maybe we can swing that way on the way back. If not, that's within day trip distance for me, I'll put it on the wishlist.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent18 View Post
wow, with all those great cincy courses you mentioned, we don't have anything quite at that level but we have other courses in the Dayton area that are still fun plays. Sycamore, Bellmont, Englewood in that order would be the courses I would recommend you check out.
Thanks, I'll make sure to hit those three.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 711
Maconaquah Park is one of the ones I was thinking of referring you towards Mash. I see you've done a review today...This one points out the reason I don't do a reviews for a lot of the courses from days gone by....Evidently a good course; but, in disrepair. It's tough to rate the courses that have good design, but poor amenities. Another of the same ilk, is Veterans Park in Lexington KY. An entire thread, earlier in the year, was dedicated to whether that was a good course or not. The design was pretty good IMHO, but navigation made me rate it as a 3. Most would go lower. I've pointed out before, that locals love these types of courses, because they know the layout and appreciate it.