Old 10-15-2010, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 185
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you have 3 hrs. I would suggest Hornets nest (would only need like 2.5 hrs or less), its got a little of everything open, wooded, raised baskets. I agree that unless you want to play the Elon Long and Elon short course (skipping the third course( the professional one) you wouldnt get that much DG in. Either Elon short course plays in like 1:15 and might even be too beginner. I don't think you would dread the longer course. Many of the holes are technical and there are like 330' par 4's. Its not that long of a course and I would suggest it over the shorter courses in the park for your skill level.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 39
It's sounding like a consensus is developing around Hornet's Nest, which is sort of the way I was leaning after spending more time last night looking at the reviews and course info. I did give some thought to trying to do Elon Long and then Elon Short if we have time and energy left. Also thinking about trying to get an early start and do Hornet's Nest and then Rankin Lake on the way home if we're still up for more.

Thanks for the input, and keep the suggestions coming if you have more.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 39
Played Hornet's Nest today with my son. Enjoyed it a lot -- neither of us played as well as we'd have liked, but I wasn't too upset with my round. First time out on a course with some really long holes, etc. I missed at least a couple of very makeable par putts, as well as couple of birdie putts on elevated baskets (haven't ever played a course with 'em that high, so I didn't really have a good sense of how to play them at first). Definitely a course I'd play regularly if I lived close enough. Thanks for the input and advice.

We didn't get started early enough for more than one course today (slept in after being out really late at the race last night); would love to go back and be able to check out a few more.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 740
Nice....that's the course, above all others, that brought me back for a bigger tour the second time. Unfortunately, didn't get to play it the second time; so, I'll just have to come back for a third...