Old 03-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 28
I climbed 30 feet up in a tree to get a disc. If that doesn't extreme consider that I was 51, 5' 11" and 260 freakin pounds at the time!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
I threw an FLX Drone ace disc in one of the super swaggy little pond at Vacaville Ca course. I do whatever it takes for an ace disc. So I left my boots on and went for it up to my waist. The water was like 80 degrees it felt like, warmer than the air. It was slimy and smelly and I saw numerous fish, a turtle, and a snake in the process of getting it. Oh yeah there's massive amounts af duck sh#t in the water too. Anyways I got it back. Felt bad for my friends on the drive back to Tahoe cause I smelled worse than a porta pottie. I also went in a near freezing creek and noodled with my feet under the bank(edge of creek) and found my Champ Roc. Water was so cold it was like 20-30 seconds max then I had to get out and back in. Found a Star Teerex and Z Wasp before I forund my Roc both had no names..... so it made up for it. I kinda go big for all my discs, don't really like leaving them behind.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 18
Went swimming in water when it was 40 degrees out for my star wraith. Didn't find it but found someone else's, no phone # on it and a nickname no one recognized. I will be swimming for mine again when it warms up.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 15
I will put it this way...

My Duck hunting waders got a lot more use this year as disc retrieving waders than they did duck hunting!!!

In fact they are standard equipment just about any time we go play... Not to mention I have recovered 14 disc's besides my own so far this year!!!

Josh
Old 03-11-2009, 11:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1972 View Post
My Duck hunting waders got a lot more use this year as disc retrieving waders than they did duck hunting!!!

In fact they are standard equipment just about any time we go play... Not to mention I have recovered 14 disc's besides my own so far this year!!!

Josh
I need to get me some of those.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated plastic View Post
I threw an FLX Drone ace disc in one of the super swaggy little pond at Vacaville Ca course. I do whatever it takes for an ace disc. So I left my boots on and went for it up to my waist. The water was like 80 degrees it felt like, warmer than the air. It was slimy and smelly and I saw numerous fish, a turtle, and a snake in the process of getting it. Oh yeah there's massive amounts af duck sh#t in the water too. Anyways I got it back. Felt bad for my friends on the drive back to Tahoe cause I smelled worse than a porta pottie. I also went in a near freezing creek and noodled with my feet under the bank(edge of creek) and found my Champ Roc. Water was so cold it was like 20-30 seconds max then I had to get out and back in. Found a Star Teerex and Z Wasp before I forund my Roc both had no names..... so it made up for it. I kinda go big for all my discs, don't really like leaving them behind.
Speaking of Ace discs, I think the other disc that I found today besides my own was an Ace disc, there were lots of signatures on it besides the owners.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Anybody else have this problem?

I have this phobia about going into murky water. I don't like not being able to see the bottom. I especially don't like that nasty mud at the bottom of some ponds. It is compounded if it looks like a snake sanctuary. I am not afraid of snakes just surprising them scares me. A nice crystal clean trout stream is another story, I'll wade around in that all day long. Problem is, not any courses are generally built around nice clear running streams here in metro Atl (deep enough to lose your disc anyway). I will spend up to an hour looking for a disc on dry land though. If it goes in nasty water its bon voyage. If someone finds it and calls me offering to return it I will somehow reward them. If not, thats my loss.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
I was walking Trophy Lakes early one morning before a tournament that I was going to play blind. Temperature was in the upper 20s, frost on the ground. A guy came through, playing and running, to get a practice round in in about 30 minutes.

About midway through the course we find him, stripped to his shorts and standing thigh-deep in the water, looking for a disc. As we pass, I hear him say "I'm going to have to dive....", followed by a big splash.

Several holes later he passes us again, soaking wet in sub-freezing temperatures, and STILL PRACTICING the course! Gotta' admire the dedication!

I later asked what that was all about. It was his putter than he'd thrown in the water (on a basket near the lake). Well, we can all understand.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 142
Send a message via AIM to Greg Layton
I spent a half hour walking around in a pond at Old Farm Park (Hole #17) barefoot trying to find my Star TL. It was a balmy 40 degree October morning. You couldn't see the bottom of the pond so the only way I could search was to drag my feet over some of the sharpest rocks you can imagine. I had to get out every 5 minutes or so to regain the feeling in my legs. After stubbed toes and lots of cursing I finally found a disc after about 30 minutes. I lept for joy and ran out of the pond only to discover I'd found someone's piece of **** 150g DX Valk. Oh man I was pissed.

The moral of the story: Don't throw your disc as far as you can when there's a freaking pond 15 feet behind the basket. I've lost two discs on that hole now... if it happens again I'm going to come back with a bulldozer and dump truck and fill the pond in. I'll do it... I'm crazy.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post
Anybody else have this problem?

I have this phobia about going into murky water. I don't like not being able to see the bottom. I especially don't like that nasty mud at the bottom of some ponds. It is compounded if it looks like a snake sanctuary. I am not afraid of snakes just surprising them scares me. A nice crystal clean trout stream is another story, I'll wade around in that all day long. Problem is, not any courses are generally built around nice clear running streams here in metro Atl (deep enough to lose your disc anyway). I will spend up to an hour looking for a disc on dry land though. If it goes in nasty water its bon voyage. If someone finds it and calls me offering to return it I will somehow reward them. If not, thats my loss.
I have a backup of pretty much everything I throw, but I'll still go to great lengths to get a disc back. I don't at all want to get in nasty murky water so bought a disc diver. It basically pays for itself once you get two discs back. http://www.discdiver.com/