Old 03-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
yes i was, i think what happened was you think the word pothead is a bad thing being one myself i dont take offense so i think you need a couple more types of players like yourself for instance an avid ******* smoker and i dont mean someone who smokes and is an *******. jkbtw thanks for clarifying i guess your not an ******* after all what i meant was alot of people label us off as stupid and slow with no skills and that were just there to get f*** up. the thing is i smoke and i play disc golf i play discgolf while smoking and i smoke while playin discgolf if i quit doing either id still do the other
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 101
I am not a fan of smoke of any kind, and have played a few rounds with the guys who smoke a bowl every now and then. Fun to watch the next few holes after that. They taught me to never smoke pot. As far as all smokers, in general I have found that they are fairly considerate of being down wind. That is really all that I ask for.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Banned

thats funny because the people i play with play better after they smoke(or maybe were just to high to remember the score). to me there is nothing better than going to your smoke hole and getting in the zone,get your putts lined up forget everything else and just focus on discgolf. p.s. leave the b.s. of the outsideworld at home and your cooler to, when you step on the course it should be all about d.g. it aint a social club if your not there to play seriously (regardless of your skill level) stay home get wasted and play frisbbe with your dog
Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 130
I play really, Really, REALLY sssssslllllloooooowwwwww. When I was younger I played slow and held up rounds. Now that I'm older, fatter and my both of my knees are blown, I'm a human rain delay. I let a kid play through on # 10 last weekend. He was on the tee for #18 while I was waiting letting another group play through on #12. I'm talking SLOW! I play disc golf for fun, and just don't see the need to hurry up so it can end. Also I never pay attention to where my bag is, and it ends up behind me a lot for some reason. So by the time I putt, walk back to my bag, put my putter in the bag, pick up the bag and start walking...the rest of the group is on the next tee already waiting on me.

I also talk. A LOT. Who would have guessed, right?

As a result, I piss off every random person I play a round with. They just get sick of waiting, get sick of the sound of my voice, get their rhythm all out of whack and start missing shots and playing like crud, all the time getting madder and madder at me. For a while I tried to shut up and hustle, but that sucked. I spent more time worrying about where I was setting my bag down than what shot I was taking. What is the point in that?

So now if a random person is there I warn them before we start that my gums flap incessantly and that they will be listening to it for a long time because I play disc golf like molasses flows. Strangely, 99% of people decide to just play on their own at that point.

My point? When have I ever had one of those? I guess it was a long-winded way of saying I can't remember the last round I played with a random dude. I'm pretty sure it was in the spring of '07 at Quail Ridge. The one kid was pretty good, except he used a Blowfly for Roc shots and putt with a Sidewinder. His buddy was playing for the first time and thought I was a pro because I had a bag. The course was backed up, so they were not going anywhere anyway. It was a nice round. For me, anyway. They might still be complaining about that day they played a round with the crazy old dude who played real slow and never shut up.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 AM
Banned

if you come to h-town let me know ill play with you, as long as your havin fun and being respectful of the course ill play with anyone no matter how slow after all sloth is in my screen name, i think its all about the right attitude when it comes to random people not how good they can play. if you dont talk while im throwin and dont spout racist bs then your welcome on my scorecard.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I play really, Really, REALLY sssssslllllloooooowwwwww. When I was younger I played slow and held up rounds. Now that I'm older, fatter and my both of my knees are blown, I'm a human rain delay. I let a kid play through on # 10 last weekend. He was on the tee for #18 while I was waiting letting another group play through on #12. I'm talking SLOW! I play disc golf for fun, and just don't see the need to hurry up so it can end. Also I never pay attention to where my bag is, and it ends up behind me a lot for some reason. So by the time I putt, walk back to my bag, put my putter in the bag, pick up the bag and start walking...the rest of the group is on the next tee already waiting on me.

As a result, I piss off every random person I play a round with. They just get sick of waiting, get sick of the sound of my voice, get their rhythm all out of whack and start missing shots and playing like crud, all the time getting madder and madder at me. For a while I tried to shut up and hustle, but that sucked. I spent more time worrying about where I was setting my bag down than what shot I was taking. What is the point in that?

So now if a random person is there I warn them before we start that my gums flap incessantly and that they will be listening to it for a long time because I play disc golf like molasses flows. Strangely, 99% of people decide to just play on their own at that point.

My point? When have I ever had one of those? I guess it was a long-winded way of saying I can't remember the last round I played with a random dude. I'm pretty sure it was in the spring of '07 at Quail Ridge. The one kid was pretty good, except he used a Blowfly for Roc shots and putt with a Sidewinder. His buddy was playing for the first time and thought I was a pro because I had a bag. The course was backed up, so they were not going anywhere anyway. It was a nice round. For me, anyway. They might still be complaining about that day they played a round with the crazy old dude who played real slow and never shut up.
I'll play with you. I am generally a fast player but end up playing better with people that actually get me to slow down. Not to mention, based on your posts that I have read I would be incredibly entertained during the round.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:07 AM

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 4
I can't speak for other smokers (tobacco or otherwise) but for me, I believe it does help my game. As does a beer. I do, however, find it obnoxious when players are to gone (from one substance or another) to play their game. It is truly sad to see someone's game negatively influenced by substance abuse and someone being drunk or too stoned to function is disappointing. I am all for the spice of life, but keep it under control on the course.

I would also like to say that for those that are bothered by the smoke; I, for one, would respond very positively, to a request to stop. I may enjoy it, but I enjoy playing with new people and keeping the round pleasant more than I could possibly enjoy any sort of substance abuse. This may not hold true for all disc golfers but I like to believe that it holds true for most. Even if someone doesn't care but doesn't want it in their face, I will take appropriate measures to accommodate that person. I really don't see it as an inconvenience on my part, but simply a chance to accommodate a fellow disc golfer. I consider it a part of disc golf etiquette and thus, my responsibility and honor to oblige.

In addition, I know that many casual players are out there to simply "have a good time". That is fine but if they want to have too good of a time, I try to avoid jumping in on those groups, and pass them if the opportunity arises.

All that being said, I have had many an enjoyable experience dging with random people. I think it is one of the better aspects of this sport. I have met new friends and learned more about disc golf than I can express without an essay on the subject.

Disc golf has an inherent ethos of self improvement and thus ready acceptance of others. We are all striving towards improving our personal game regardless of what others are doing and I think it is wonderful that so many people on this forum and disc golfers in general are so outgoing and accepting of others (Pros, Recs, and everything in between.)
Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 AM

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post

Sounds like fun to me! Time permitting, I am all about taking it slow and easy. My uncle is a "crazy old dude who play[s] real slow and never shut[s] up" and some of the best conversations I have had have been with him. As long as you have a love and respect for the sport, it is all worth it! I know I am a little out of your territory, but if you are ever in the area, you are welcome to join me and my group.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 55
I showed up at a course one day alone, because none of my friends could come. As I was standing on the first tee, an older guy was coming off 18, and asked if I was playing alone. I said yes, and he asked if he could join me for a round. He was a really cool guy, and we have become really good friends. You never know who you are going to meet out there.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 41
Send a message via AIM to thenamesben Send a message via Yahoo to thenamesben
Of all the pick-up groups I've played in, 90% of them all blazed up some pot at some point during the round. As much as I'd like to be friendly and embrace the spirit of disc golf, I don't want to be around that.