Old 03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 29
Fundraising Tournament Ideas

I plan on hosting a fund raising tournament at a local course in order to help raise money for another course im attempting to fund at my university. Besides disc sales, food sales, purchasing mulligans, entry fees, sponsorships and straight up asking for cash, I was wondering what are some other good strategies for raising money that have worked for other people in a tournament environment. If you could describe what has worked best for you in the past and what hasnt worked as well. Be as descriptive as possible!

We are toying with the idea of calling it "Change For Chains", and letting players bring the spare change they have lying around their house. Each individuals change would then be weighed and they would receive strokes off per/weight (1 stroke/2 lbs of change for example) at the end of their round, this would be separate from purchasing mulligans which can be used in the course of the round.

No idea is to crazy, I cant wait to see what all of you come up with.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 214
I like the idea, but you may need to make it more like 1 stroke/pound, assuming mixed change.

Pennies are the cheapest at $1.81 per pound.
Quarters and dimes are the costliest at $20 per pound.

So if someone came with two pounds of quarters or dimes, that one stroke would cost them $40...

just things to think about in the planning process. I like the basic idea, though.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 54
Every Sunday morning, we have a local private course that has a Mini tournament called the "Commando Mini". Its one round, $10 to play,with small prize money paid out at the end, and the money raised goes to the up keep of the course. Its very popular. I have played in it a couple of times, and its nice to be able to play in a tournament more than once a month.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t i m View Post
I like the idea, but you may need to make it more like 1 stroke/pound, assuming mixed change.

Pennies are the cheapest at $1.81 per pound.
Quarters and dimes are the costliest at $20 per pound.

So if someone came with two pounds of quarters or dimes, that one stroke would cost them $40...

just things to think about in the planning process. I like the basic idea, though.
My hopes were that people would not specifically go out and get rolled change, but maybe grab their spare change jar their way out the door so players can donate without a huge hit the wallet.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 26
I am in the process of hosting my second fundraiser tourney. I have been hitting up the local businesses for small donations, a couple of the local bars and sandwich shops. I ask for small money donations like t-shirts and gift card for meals. The more prizes you can give away without having to purchase them, the better. The more people you can recruit to help you, the more ground you can cover. Good luck! Disc golf is a DIY ( do it yourself)
kind of sport, if you want something done, you just have to do it!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
have you tried thinking about like an ace compettition or do a 50/50 raffle, or even nearest to the pin wins something and pay a buck a throw.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
Every Sunday morning, we have a local private course that has a Mini tournament called the "Commando Mini". Its one round, $10 to play,with small prize money paid out at the end, and the money raised goes to the up keep of the course. Its very popular. I have played in it a couple of times, and its nice to be able to play in a tournament more than once a month.
I was aiming at things that can be done in the course of a single tournament like mini-events/fundraisers.

Good idea and its definetly something ill consider running as a summer series.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
Get items donated for a raffle. Allow players/people to straight up buy tickets for the raffle. $1/ticket or 6/$5. OR allow them to buy putts (in a skills competition, not during a normal round) to win tickets: $1 / putt from ~50'. Each putt made wins 10 raffle tickets.

You said besides disc sales... but I'll mention the Innova CFR program. It's a really good deal; check it out if you haven't already.

ERic