Disc Golf Store
Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 32
Rain: How much is too much?

This weekend it rained all weekend. I still went out and played, and was mocked by my kids, and had a good time. Just wondering what is too much? Will you play in a drizzle? In a downpour? Or never in the rain at all. The mud was the worst.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
I have played with a little rain once and a bit of snow when it was colder. I don't mind playing in the rain if it is on and off or might let up. I don't like downpours and have left the course before during one. I generally don't keep extra clothes in my vehicle and don't like driving home wet. I check the weather often now and if there is a chance of rain I will pack an extra outfit just incase.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:17 PM

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 11
Send a message via AIM to NauticalUrge Send a message via Yahoo to NauticalUrge
I've played with my friend Ally (our Russian Intern) in light rain, heavy rain, thunderstorms, ice, snow, and heavy winds... that's when you know you are a Disc Golf junkie! LOL!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM

Courses Played: 35
Me and two others drove over an hour this weekend to play two course we had never played before. It alternated between a drizzle and a downpour. I was surprised by how good of a time we had even with the temp in the mid 40's. We spent most of the time laughing at ourselves for even being out there. I am sure I would of had a bad time had I not stopped at Walmart and gotten a full rain suit. We did have both courses all to ourselves. The only downside was two of us lost discs in what would normally been a small soggy ditch but with all the rain were nearly class 5 rapids.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 5
for me it depends on the situation.

if i am thinking of going DGing and i look outside and it's raining or the weather calls for rain. i won't go.

if i'm already out playing and it starts raining i'll finish the round.

if i've driven some distance just to play a course and when i get there it is raining a little i'll still play, if it's a heavy rain i'll skip it and come back another time.

i'm definitely a fair weather player.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 183
I've played in two different hurricanes at Paw Paw and Brandywine (not fun), and another time when in 2 days it rained a combined 7-8 inches at Warwick (and that was my first time there).
I try and avoid such things anymore - but when you're already there and committed to the event, you just have to hope your gear is good enough to stand up to the weather.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRick View Post
Me and two others drove over an hour this weekend to play two course we had never played before. It alternated between a drizzle and a downpour. I was surprised by how good of a time we had even with the temp in the mid 40's. We spent most of the time laughing at ourselves for even being out there. I am sure I would of had a bad time had I not stopped at Walmart and gotten a full rain suit. We did have both courses all to ourselves. The only downside was two of us lost discs in what would normally been a small soggy ditch but with all the rain were nearly class 5 rapids.
Hey I think I was one of those guys! It was fun. If you can play in a down pour, you can play in any wheather! The rain suit made it possible to be out there for 3 hrs and not be miserable......Good Times!
Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 11
I am a fair weather player. That being said, I have played in a drizzle, and would leave in a down pour. It all depends on how far I have driven to play. I would leave my home course in a drizzle. Temperature never bothers me, because it is rare that I get cold.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 142
Send a message via AIM to Greg Layton
The only time I've played in the rain was during a bone-soaking downpour. I would not recommend it.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 32
I agree that if I already started a round (especially if I'm on a streak or doing good) there is no way I stop in the middle. I hate that!