Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
In Florida the rain usually comes hard and quick, so it's not unusually to have a huge downpour in the middle of an afternoon round. If it's cold and raining you bet your ass I'm at home doing something other than catching hypothermia.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 183
My best finish at the USDGC (3rd) was in an all day downpour on the final day
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigg View Post
I've played in two different hurricanes at Paw Paw and Brandywine (not fun), and another time when in 2 days it rained a combined 7-8 inches at Warwick (and that was my first time there).
I try and avoid such things anymore - but when you're already there and committed to the event, you just have to hope your gear is good enough to stand up to the weather.
Craig -- was your Warwick story from Animalfest in 2003? I was out there for the first time for that tourney and it started raining during the player's meeting on Saturday morning and turned torrential and didn't quit until sometime in the finals on Sunday -- I'm sure it was that 7-8" range. Wolfe Woods was open for the first time that weekend, and it was playing in a swap, some fairways were mid-calf in mud and water, where you needed spotters the rain was coming down so hard you couldn't see your throws land.

A bunch of folks also got food poisoning from the hot wings that were served. I got Lyme disease for the first time from that weekend as well. Worst disc golf weekend in history -- and I'm not even going into the details. That was just too much...

I took a 4+ year hiatus from disc golf after that event and didn't play a tourney again until the West Virginia Ams in June 2007.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 183
Yup - That was it
Yup - That was too much - funny part was - that was my first time there, and the course was so impressive - I couldn't wait to get back the next year! Of course - I don't remember having any wings, nor did I suffer from ticks (what were they swimming?)
I did however have a floating air mattress inside my tent!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 116
I would try to avoid playing in a heavy downpour. If I was on the course and it started pouring, I'd look for a place to get out of the rain until it let up. I hate wearing wet clothes. I usually pay pretty close attention to weather so I can avoid rain while playing DG.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:39 PM

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 11
Send a message via AIM to NauticalUrge Send a message via Yahoo to NauticalUrge
I've already decided that if I'm playing Buckhorn DGC (New Hill, NC), and the sirens for the Nuclear Power Plant starts going... I'm going to finish my game, cause I'll never make it outside of the 10 mile area in time, lol!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via MSN to srm_520 Send a message via Yahoo to srm_520
I played my first ever tournament at the Oak Meadows course in Houston when it first opened. That course isn't easy to begin with, but we were blessed with some wet weather the first eighteen, but then a downpour through the entire second 18. After a while you didn't even bother wiping off your disc because everything was soaked. You just threw it and hoped for the best. Any other day I would have just headed home after the first hole - it was horrible.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by srm_520 View Post
I played my first ever tournament at the Oak Meadows course in Houston when it first opened. That course isn't easy to begin with, but we were blessed with some wet weather the first eighteen, but then a downpour through the entire second 18. After a while you didn't even bother wiping off your disc because everything was soaked. You just threw it and hoped for the best. Any other day I would have just headed home after the first hole - it was horrible.
Yeah, I remember my first time at Tom Bass in Houston. Stupid course is flat and doesn't drain. A couple of friends and I caught the tail end of a nasty rainstorm and played anyway. The entire course was several inches underwater -- you couldn't use a marker because they would float away, and you often had to intentionally sink your disc to have a lie b/c they kept landing on the water which was 3-6" deep on most of the course. And that was my first and only time at Tom Bass -- can't believe they used that place for World's one year...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 28
I have played in light rain, sleet and snow. Heavy rain and high winds affect the disc too much for me to play.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 54
I have a rain jacket that folds up into a small pouch and fits in my bag. I take it with me if it is going to rain. It it starts, I just take out the jacket and put it on. My bag gets a little wet, but thats no big deal.