Disc Golf Store
Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krover View Post
I cant do anything with my left hand! Its just there for balance. I do however throw both Bh and FA depending on the shot. Im just as comfortable with either one and is a big help when backhand just wont cut it. If I could I would try to learn how to throw lefty. I might want to start by learning how to write my name lefty and see how that goes! LOL
honestly when i was trying to use my right arm (not very successful) things that helped were plating catch with a baseball right handed and dribbling a basketball right handed. maybe you could try those lefty.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHBH
I have a friend who throws primarily LHBH but can go righty forehand very naturally...however, it is the same flight so there is no advantage.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 35
I'm RHBH for most throws but do throw both RHFH and LHBH. I took up LHBH because my sidearm has always been a little unpredictable and well, not very good. Although it's a lot better than it used to be. I tend to use LHBH for shorter drives and approaches and RHFH for mid-long right turning drives.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Vega View Post
I'm RHBH for most throws but do throw both RHFH and LHBH. I took up LHBH because my sidearm has always been a little unpredictable and well, not very good. Although it's a lot better than it used to be. I tend to use LHBH for shorter drives and approaches and RHFH for mid-long right turning drives.
so you got the best of both worlds huh?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 32
I have a Righthanded friend that only throws lefty, except for sidearms and overhands and then he goes righty. figure that out
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zud00 View Post
I have a friend who throws primarily LHBH but can go righty forehand very naturally...however, it is the same flight so there is no advantage.
This is exactly how I am; I throw LHBH naturally, but if you tell me to throw forehand, I can only think of doing that as a righty. Which isn't much help. I am all mixed up with my handedness in sports--it just depends on which hand (or leg) first started the sport and then I tend to get stuck with that.

I recently tried RHBH just to see how it would go, and on my 4th attempt I threw straight down the middle, 275'. I was pretty happy with that. So I may start practicing that as my replacement for my missing lefty forehand. I realize the forehand has some useful different characteristics, but RHBH may be as close as I get.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 184
My girlfriend throws backhand with either hand, almost comparable distances. She putts with either hand too.

Personally, I've just started working on a forehand/flick, like Tim said... gotta have something to work nicely on those right turn doglegs.

ERic
Old 03-23-2009, 04:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 32
I also am a natural righty who throws LHBH but RHFH and Tomahawks rightie. I am in the process of learning RHBH and LHFH. We'll see how it goes. I'm not very far along right now.
I definitely need to do something, Hole 8 at my home course is kicking my butt.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 66
I was practicing in a lined football/band field earlier today. I normally throw RHBH whenever possible. As it was getting dark I was having trouble tracking down some of my discs so I decided to practice my "non-standard" throws some, knowing that I wouldn't be able to throw as far.

So I started with a few forehands that I rarely ever throw or practice. I was pleased to get a couple shots out to 275'. But at that distance It was still a little hard to track down the discs. So I figured I'd try lefty, LHBH, just for the heck of it.

It was an interesting experiance. As has been mentioned in this thread, it was very cool to understand better technique right away as compared to when I started throwing disc golf discs with my dominant RHBH. Anyway, I was surprised that my first throw went about 150' and my 2nd about 180'. I hyzered them too much, though, and they tailed off badly to the right. I only threw about 12 total throws and my last throw went just over 200'. I released it with just a bit of annie and it did an excellent little S curve. I know that it's nothing to write home about, but I thought that it was pretty cool.... and fun.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 19
I am surprised that so many of you can throw with either arm. I have never tried it but I think it would be pretty difficult. I currently throw RHBH and RHFH. I actually can get my FH longer off the tee that most of my BH throws so don't know what gap this new shot would fill. Maybe the next time I am doing some field work I will give it a try.