Old 11-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
For anyone who uses Nikko's Putting Style

I've been trying to build my putt around Nikko's style. I've been calling it the swing putt.

I'm very hot and cold with it. I've been working on it since the beginning of summer, and am still missing a lot of putts inside the circle, and virtually all of my putts outside the circle. FYI, I'm using a Magic. I have 6 that I use to practice.
I was hoping that someone on this forum might have some tips.

I have trouble:

1) I rarely miss left or right, it's usually a height issue. And when I don't get the pull back/weight shift right, I rainbow the disc way over the basket. Any tips there?

2) Release angle. When I see videos of Nikko putting, the disc seems to vary in angle. It's easiest to release the disc with a lot of hyzer, but the putt obviously has a lot less glide. The problem with a nearly vertical disc, is that it has a tendency to nick the top or bottom of the basket as it goes in, which creates a lot of bounce outs. The second problem also being-

3) Power/Distance. I'm virtually helpless outside the circle with this putt. When I try to get some power behind the putt, I either rocket the disc straight at the basket, with zero loft or touch; or I sail the disc on a rainbow, which hits any low hanging branches, and looks pretty silly. I heard from a buddy that Nikko actually leads with his left foot on "jump" putts, then steps his right foot forward to get the added power. I've tried this, and the results are basically more extreme versions of the problems I have with shorter putts.

4) Weight shift/Stance. I've tried the straddle stance that Nikko uses a lot, and I have a lot of trouble getting the power to make the putt work (see above). So I've been using a right foot forward, sort of skateboarding stance. The problem with that stance, is that my weight shift is very inconsistent. If I finish my my front knee locked, I tend to sail the disc high; if I finish with my front knee bent, I lose a lot of power, and lack any consistency.

5) Wrist. How much wrist pop is used?

6) Aiming. I usually aim straight for the pole when I'm within 20 ft. Which seems to work. Outside of that distance, I have trouble finding what to aim at. When I aim straight for the pole, the disc fades before reaching the basket; when I aim right of the pole, it seems to either stay straight and miss right, or I sail it too high.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 113
I have similar issues as you do...

so I'll be watching this thread for the input from better putters of the Nikko method.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary
ahh the hyzer swing putt.

thats my primary putting style as well.

try it with an ion or a wizard inside the circle and save the magics or the light aviars for outside. focus on lifting the leading edge (lowest part of the disc when throwing with hyzer) towards the right side of the chains.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 35
I swing putt as well and I also only miss high and low. I am really wanting to use the same style for jump putting...I just haven't had any success. I do the same thing...either rocket it or it just wobbles too much because im trying to get too much power on it I think.

I use wizards and magics depending on wind.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIWsTWy4xUI

Check out at 10:35 or so. Nikko putting outside the circle, uphill. The disc never really gets above the basket. It's sort of a "rocket". Though it's more glide than speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LaIRNdXnHs

At 15sec or so, you get a view of Nikko from behind the basket. That's not a very long putt, yet he's aiming right of the basket and letting it fade in.

Maybe he can just change the aim/angle/speed depending on what he's wanting to do. Which makes me hate him all the more.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 143
I've been toying around with this as well.
Let me ask: what grip do you use? I've been using the birdie grip and have had the same results as the OP. I've tried using four fingers and I get more power and spin, but become even more erratic. In the videos I've watched it seems Nikkio uses four, what about the rest of you?

Oh and Apothecary, could you expand what you mean by "lift the outside edge" a bit? I get that it's the lowest edge of the disc, I just cant quite seem to imagine what you mean by "lift"

Last edited by Bubbajoe; 11-03-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Add on question
Old 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 27
I recently switched to this putting style too and I'm having great success. My putts aren't hitting high in the basket, they always hit lower, so basically, I'm not putting any loft on the disc.

I'm using KC PRO Aviars and they are pretty stiff. Floppy putters don't work for me with this.

As far as distance goes, probably up to 20 feet for me, I'm not popping my wrist much. Out of 20 feet I am adding some wrist pop and it's straight ahead. I don't want to hyzer it much, but I made a 50 footer the other day that I did put some hyzer on b/c I took such a big swing with my arm.

Nikko varies his stance from leaving his feet completely flat on the ground to swinging his left foot behind his right and generating some more momentum. I can't figure out which ones he does this on b/c there is not a consistency when it comes to distance. He moves that left foot on both short and long putts.

Right now, I'm just focusing on keeping my feet planted as part of my problem with a staggered putt was too much unnecessary movement. I think distance will come the longer I keep practicing.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 27
I am using a fan grip with my index finger under the bead.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajoe View Post
I've been toying around with this as well.
Let me ask: what grip do you use? I've been using the birdie grip and have had the same results as the OP. I've tried using four fingers and I get more power and spin, but become even more erratic. In the videos I've watched it seems Nikkio uses four, what about the rest of you?

Oh and Apothecary, could you expand what you mean by "lift the outside edge" a bit? I get that it's the lowest edge of the disc, I just cant quite seem to imagine what you mean by "lift"
when i say 'lift the lowest/leading edge' i mean that the main vector im aiming with is the up/down. the part of the disc you should be aiming with is the left side of the disc. when i putt the left edge is the leading edge (because its a hyzer putt) the back left and back right of the disc feels like the butt of the disc. its a big ba donka donk. if you aim with the leading edge (the face) of the disc, the meat (ba donka donk) of the disc will back up the face with all the momentum it needs to get there. i focus mostly on lifting the face of the disc towards the target.

aim with the face/leading edge of the disc and you will have much success.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 133
OP, although I am not a pro, I have focused on improving my putting game this year. I have spent a ton of time in my backyard with a stack of wizards and the practice basket. I'd like to comment on a few things from your first post:

I think #1 and #2 are directly related for you. Focus on keeping a flat to slight hyzer release. When you miss low, chances are the disc was released on an angle aiming straight for the ground or the bottom of the basket.

#3--Consider the old fashioned stance for longer putts. It will not hurt your game to become an expert putting machine outside of the circle.

For #4, I think you are on the right track. Just keep practicing. The constant repetition will help you overcome this issue.

#5--This video has really helped me. Whenever I line up a putt, I think about the snake strike. When I forget about it, the disc usually comes up short.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH-RlFIJOKg

#6--Focus on 1 link in front of the pole. Aim small, miss small. When I have a round where I am missing putts in any direction, I usually can just aim for a different link to re-calibrate.