Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
Dumb asses are going to ruin it for everyone else

Some jack asses got into with someone on the disc golf course, and now the cops are watching us. Here is the story copied from our local club:

Don't let the Man get you down!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, many of you may already have found this out, but for those who have not, there has been a significant increase in police presence at Bear Branch as of late. The increase comes after some kids who pushed down a lady at Terramont Park who asked the kids to stop smoking weed at the park.
As of this time, there has been no confirmation on whether the kids were disc golfers, or if they were just kids @ the disc golf course hanging out as is often the case around here.
To date, an under cover cop from Montgomery County Sherriff's department has busted at least 8 people for smoking at Bear Branch. He is posing as a disc golfer. I have not posted this until now as I was quite sure that the story would get around, but as the days get longer, people will play longer, and therefore the likely hood of meeting this cop is increased. SOOO..... for the sake of the reputation of the courses, yourselves, and the sport, DON"T BE STUPID! North Side Chain Gang has been aware of this problem, and has been spreading the word. So consider us all warned now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone had any problems like this at your local courses? Just wondering.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
thanks for the warning, i play there quite often when im home visiting the folks
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via MSN to srm_520 Send a message via Yahoo to srm_520
Thanks for the posting. Agreed, it's bad enough the stereotype that disc golfing has already has - now being associated with thugs sucks even worse. I have been told that the pot stereotype is one of the underlining reasons for not getting a new course put in at our church on the NW side. I wish people would just simply stop being stupid and go smoke their weed somewhere else. Thanks man.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by srm_520 View Post
Thanks for the posting. Agreed, it's bad enough the stereotype that disc golfing has already has - now being associated with thugs sucks even worse. I have been told that the pot stereotype is one of the underlining reasons for not getting a new course put in at our church on the NW side. I wish people would just simply stop being stupid and go smoke their weed somewhere else. Thanks man.

If you would like, Pm me and I can give you some info on some Church's around here that have courses. We have 3 churches in the area that have courses on the property. Maybe if your church talks to these churches , they might change their mind.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 104
It is amazing how quickly things can change as a result of a few people being complete knuckleheads. I hope they were caught and arrested.... not ever allowed to be w/in 500 yards of that park again. Is the poser any good @ DG or can u tell if he just started?

Gotta be careful in TX. For those of you who are afraid of weed please try to remember... there are really only two things in this world -- Love and fear. Which do you choose? To each his own (as long as you ain't hurtin' nobody {FEAR} or pushing down old ladies) DONT PANIC... Its organic
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 735
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIZZLE TOSSLER View Post
It is amazing how quickly things can change as a result of a few people being complete knuckleheads. I hope they were caught and arrested.... not ever allowed to be w/in 500 yards of that park again. Is the poser any good @ DG or can u tell if he just started?

Gotta be careful in TX. For those of you who are afraid of weed please try to remember... there are really only two things in this world -- Love and fear. Which do you choose? To each his own (as long as you ain't hurtin' nobody {FEAR} or pushing down old ladies) DONT PANIC... Its organic
Yeah but its currently illegal, and that is all that matter. If it becomes legal we can talk again. I dont mind if people are doing it as long as they arent being idiots, or wasting my time because of playing slowly because of it. However, in a park, thats a bad thing, kids that shouldnt see it might see it, its the fact that it is visible in a public park that makes courses shut down. They don't wnat illegal activities on their property and they dont want innocent people to be influenced by it.

SO here is what I say, smoke elsewhere, if you can't play a round of DG without some weed you have bigger problems but if you do smoke ont he course then hide it really good make sure noone is around to see it happen.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 32
Undercover as a Disc Golfer, brillant. Maybe now people will keep the weed off the courses and just do it at home. Not debating whether it hurts people or not or whether it should be legalized. It simply hurts the image of Disc Golf and if even police think that posing as a Disc Golfer is the way to find people doing weed, it says volumes for our image. Lets just keep the pot at home and keep the discs on the course.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 104
I've never played on a church course B4. Great to see unused land go to such a wonderful cause. Is church "property" tax free??? We definitely need more courses around and land is hard to come by.... only 2% of TX's land is publically owned (I'm pretty sure that is the lowest percentage out of any other state in the nation)..... Too many large "ranches".... too many large ranches that have been "sub-divided" into smaller & smaller tracts of land.... too much concrete intrusion... the tee pads being the exception. (Oh, and not to mention that I'm pretty sure it's still legal to shoot someone if they are on "your" land in TX as long as you have probable cause.... eg. Rancher: "I thought they were trying to rob me") A city w/ out green space has to be somewhat how it feels like to be in prison...............................
Old 03-22-2009, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
i havent had that specific problem. but my local course is next to a zoo and a lot of high schoolers come over there during lunch (while elementary schools are having a field trip) and start smoking. this led to sheriffs and a hired police unit to drive around all the time and wreck the course(trees cut down so they can hide the vans). it sucks for many reasons, i dont know if anyone has gotten busted but we shall see.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 AM

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIZZLE TOSSLER View Post

That's hilarious. Stupid sayings like that are why all disc golfers are thought of as potheads. Why do we need to be warned that there are undercover police at a disc golf course! If you need to be warned then you are breaking the law when you play and doing the sport a serious disjustice. I think it is great that they are policing the course and making sure nothing illegal is going on. Courses are usually in public parks and are certainly no place for drug use. If people want to smoke pot, do it at your house, not on the course. You just make all of us look bad.