Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
I totally agree about keeping the discs in the parks.... that is priority. Disc golf is one of the greatest sports in existance.... it gets people outside which is absolutely critical for our longevity as a species. Most of lifes' most precious lessons can be learned and reinforced with one round of disc golf.

As far as legality goes... it is definitely moving in that direction. It will be a handful of years before it is legal on the federal level. The US is learning that they can't "win" the "battle" against weed. There are pockets in the US.... mainly California that have been experimenting w/ legalization (w/ good regualtion guidlines, NO THUGS, NO ROBBERY, NO CRIME) One small county in California generated 11 million dollars of TAX REVENUE alone in 1 year (2002, I think) There are some estimates out there that the legalization of marijuana might be able to generate 100's of BILLIONS of dollars of tax revenue each year in the US (some think it might get close to the trillion dollar amount) I think we all know how much money was just given to all those big corporations in the bailouts....

We are finally doing REAL, SOUND scientific research on marijuana and what effects it has on the body. We are finding out that it can be used as very effective medicine for sick people (cancer, glaucoma, etc) where no other "drug" that we have to spend $ on to synthesize can accomplish.

I think once it is legalized a lot of the fear will be alleviated.

Thanks for the earlier posts guys.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hello jgentry,

I am just curious, what exactly are you referring to as my "stupid saying"?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
your only breaking the law if you don't have a prescription. well, in Cali & Michigan so far anyway
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 15
Send a message via Yahoo to djext1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIZZLE TOSSLER View Post
I totally agree about keeping the discs in the parks.... that is priority. Disc golf is one of the greatest sports in existance.... it gets people outside which is absolutely critical for our longevity as a species. Most of lifes' most precious lessons can be learned and reinforced with one round of disc golf.

As far as legality goes... it is definitely moving in that direction. It will be a handful of years before it is legal on the federal level. The US is learning that they can't "win" the "battle" against weed. There are pockets in the US.... mainly California that have been experimenting w/ legalization (w/ good regualtion guidlines, NO THUGS, NO ROBBERY, NO CRIME) One small county in California generated 11 million dollars of TAX REVENUE alone in 1 year (2002, I think) There are some estimates out there that the legalization of marijuana might be able to generate 100's of BILLIONS of dollars of tax revenue each year in the US (some think it might get close to the trillion dollar amount) I think we all know how much money was just given to all those big corporations in the bailouts....

We are finally doing REAL, SOUND scientific research on marijuana and what effects it has on the body. We are finding out that it can be used as very effective medicine for sick people (cancer, glaucoma, etc) where no other "drug" that we have to spend $ on to synthesize can accomplish.

I think once it is legalized a lot of the fear will be alleviated.

Thanks for the earlier posts guys.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 46
Even if it is legalized you wouldn't be able to smoke in Public. It would be like the current drinking laws.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via MSN to srm_520 Send a message via Yahoo to srm_520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
If you would like, Pm me and I can give you some info on some Church's around here that have courses. We have 3 churches in the area that have courses on the property. Maybe if your church talks to these churches , they might change their mind.
My brother has made that point with them already but it's currently a waiting game. They told him no because of security purposes, but that's what I heard from other people. Crosspoint, Bridgepoint, and Stonebridge all have them, but Crosspoint seems like the only one with legs. I'll let you know when there is progress.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by srm_520 View Post
My brother has made that point with them already but it's currently a waiting game. They told him no because of security purposes, but that's what I heard from other people. Crosspoint, Bridgepoint, and Stonebridge all have them, but Crosspoint seems like the only one with legs. I'll let you know when there is progress.
I haven't played the other two, but I have played Stonebridge. The people at the Church seem happy with others coming in, because I was out there on a Sunday afternoon, and as people came on and off the property, they drove by and smiled and waved.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

I have talked to the Elders at my Church a couple of times about it, but they thought I was kind of crazy. We don't have a huge plot of land, but there is room for a small 9-hole course. Well, there was anyway, attendance is way up, so they just added another 40 spaces to the parking not, and that ate up some of the land for the future disc golf course.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

[QUOTE=harr0140;42551 However, in a park, thats a bad thing, kids that shouldnt see it might see it, its the fact that it is visible in a public park that makes courses shut down.

SO here is what I say, smoke elsewhere, if you can't play a round of DG without some weed you have bigger problems but if you do smoke on the course then hide it really good make sure no one is around to see it happen.[/QUOTE]

The park where the incident happened is quite open, with only a few areas in the woods. This park also has a playground near the course, and a lot of kids around. I think it was very foolish of this kids, to be smoking out in the open like that. Even if they weren't seen, the smell can travel for quite a ways, and that might have been what got someones attention.
I don't smoke myself, but if someone on the course is doing it, I can smell it from quite aways.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 14
Smoking is stupid, there I said it! I don't care if I get alot of people hating me...if you can't spend a beatiful day outside without being stoned then you need to get serious help. If you are a "stoner" do that **** at home...but then people would say don't drive! So either way your screwed in smoking, and smoking weed is JUST like cigarettes...if you smoke it, the smell sticks to everything so your gonna walk around smelling like a big pot plant, and honestly I wouldn't want kids smelling that and im also not to fond of the smell! One of my local courses around here people tend to drink alot and leave beer bottles around (which aggrivates me finding a beer bottle in the middle of the fairway) and there are ALOT of stoners i know of that hang out and the last hole (its high on a hill with some kind of wooden structure like a cottage type thing)...vandalism is another thing that grinds my gears