Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 101
Keep fences?

This is the property I'm currently in the process of designing a course on. The course must remain inside the purple area. The black line indicates where there are fences that could stay up or come down. Most are covered in vines and overgrowth from little attention till recently. The yellow boxes are structures that can stay or be removed. The Maroon area is the parking lot for the course.

The total property is 17 acres. Once you minus the building and parking lot its probably more like 10-12 acres.

The roadways inside the course area are all crushed stone and will slowly disappear once they are no longer being used. The grey spots inside and around the old ball field are heavy equipment that will be moved to another location.

Given this information, I'm inclined to keep all the fences and to keep the structures and implement them into the design...thus allowing for 18 holes.

Looking for input and thoughts on this idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clayton Course Marked (2).jpg (139.4 KB, 113 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
it might help if you threw in some red lines to show where you intend on placing holes, the structures and fences could be cool obstacles, or you could make a hole with a fence down the side of it, and over the fence is OB like the USDGC does.

with the info, all i can really say is that these could all be cool obstacles if done right, or they could suck if done wrong. depends on the layout really.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheType View Post
it might help if you threw in some red lines to show where you intend on placing holes, the structures and fences could be cool obstacles, or you could make a hole with a fence down the side of it, and over the fence is OB like the USDGC does.

with the info, all i can really say is that these could all be cool obstacles if done right, or they could suck if done wrong. depends on the layout really.
Right now I only have what I think will be the first three to four holes. Just got the maps yesterday and have walked the property only two or three times.

I wish the view was more clear than it is.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 33
Hmm, well going with my USDGC idea,

You could have a hole that runs along the north (assuming north is up in this picture) fence, and place the basket back in the top left corner of the fence, and make going over it OB.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
few questions?
1) Height of fences? I assume old baseball field fence?
2) What are the structures? I assume 2 dugouts? whats the 3rd?
3) Whats your current plan for design?
4) Do you think you can actual fit in a quality 18? or maybe a sweet 9 hole with dual tees (kinda an 18)?
5) Map location?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 94
10-12 acres isn't enough for 18 holes I would go 9. Use the fences for OB yes as long as it is fair.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
few questions?
1) Height of fences? I assume old baseball field fence?
2) What are the structures? I assume 2 dugouts? whats the 3rd?
3) Whats your current plan for design?
4) Do you think you can actual fit in a quality 18? or maybe a sweet 9 hole with dual tees (kinda an 18)?
5) Map location?
The fence where the backstop used to be is 15-20' with netting at the top to stop foul balls. The fencing along the baselines is 6-8'. The outfield fencing is 10-12'.

The two smaller structures are maybe 8x10' and the large structure inside the old ball field is comparable to a double wide trailer as far as its size is concerned.

I'm hoping to get a full 18 but know it will be tight. There's a portion of the land that isn't shown on the map that allows for a nice hole or two.

The northwest corner of the property is heavy woods. I think once I get a better feel for that area, we might be able to make a couple of nice holes in the woods.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 54
I wouldn't take down all of the fence, or buildings. I would some how make them part of the design.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 92
How about a basket IN one of the dugouts? Gimmicky, maybe, but would punish overshot drives since it's only accessible from one direction and below ground surface?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 81
Leave them. They're fun to throw over when they cross a fairway as long as there's a gate to walk through and they also add a good pucker factor ob when running alongside a fairway as long as you have a way to get over the fence for disc retrieval.