Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 78
i have designed a few courses and my initial inclination would be to leave the fences if you intend to get 18 holes out of the property. given the size of the property you may want to consider having fewer holes with multiple tees/pins. what level course are you shooting for? is it in an area where there are already a number of courses or in a relatively "dg-free" zone?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 190
34.879260, - 83.407968 for anyone who wants to zoom in. North is to the right on the jpg.

I'd say it's OK to keep the fences, if you see a way to use them. But, if they're not doing anything for the course, get rid of them. Unless you don't have the budget to get rid of them, then leave them.

Depending on the goals for the course, you might even use them to make a hole easier, not harder.

But, don't reach for 18 holes. Unless that is necessary to meet one of the goals of the owner.

Every decision should be answered by asking what will meet the written goals of the owner. (Before all players jump all over me, those goals should includes "Make the best-playing course possible within the constraints and while satisfying other goals.")
Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
34.879260, - 83.407968 for anyone who wants to zoom in. North is to the right on the jpg.

I'd say it's OK to keep the fences, if you see a way to use them. But, if they're not doing anything for the course, get rid of them. Unless you don't have the budget to get rid of them, then leave them.

Depending on the goals for the course, you might even use them to make a hole easier, not harder.

But, don't reach for 18 holes. Unless that is necessary to meet one of the goals of the owner.

Every decision should be answered by asking what will meet the written goals of the owner. (Before all players jump all over me, those goals should includes "Make the best-playing course possible within the constraints and while satisfying other goals.")
This is a Disc Golf free zone, to answer the question asked by biscoe. The nearest courses are in Franklin, NC (30 minutes north) and Long Creek, SC (25 minutes east). This property is in Clayton, GA.

The goal is to have a beginner friendly course that also will be enjoyable for seasoned players. The cost of the removing the fences and/or the dugouts and buildings will not be an issue. I tend to lean toward keeping them (fences and buildings) and removing sections of the fence, where needed, to make flow work better.

This course came about in an unusual way. A friend, who is on the city council, was at an event I did a Disc Golf demo at and suggested I talk to the city manager about the possibility of a course on this piece of property.

The city is a client (I run the local radio station) so the next time I met with the city manager I suggested Disc Golf. She asked a few people in City Hall and they all thought it was a good idea. A week later I was told the cost would be included in a grant proposal the city is in the running for and if they don't get the grant the city would include the cost of the baskets in the upcoming budget.

If they get the grant cement tee pads, signage and possibly a top level designer will be brought in. If they don't get the grant or qualify for less then the full amount, I'll head up the design team.

Anyway...the city has asked for a design to be included in their grant proposal. It's due first week of December.

Also another note, I used Northwest in relation to the picture, not the actual property.

Last edited by Sadjo; 11-11-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
^^^ based on above post i would make a 9-12 hole course with dual tees (red and blue). I would take out the larger building and maybe one of the dugouts. a hole in a dugout is actually pretty cool and i would go with that. if the fences are that high i would definitely try to include as many as possible. i would suggest taking a portable basket out there with you and a midrange disc (nothing more) and play some of the holes you are thinking of. that should allow you to really get a feel for the course itself. from what i can see it looks like it could be a descent to pretty good 9 hole or a really cramped 18 hole.

i'd go for quality over quantity, the dual tees with 2 different levels will make it essentially and 18 hole course, if the baskets are skillfully placed.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:50 PM
* Ace Member *

I've got someone that I've worked with in the past on course design helping Friday morning. We'll take pictures and throw proposed holes.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Here's a map with the first potential holes marked. The first hole would be to the right of the maroon parking lot. Holes 1 - 2 work behind the old ball-field before working down the temp road that is shown on the map.

I think holes 1 - 6 would play well. It's moving forward that gets me stuck. I think looking at the fences, they need to stay with opening walkways to make the course flow better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clayton Course Marked (2) 1 - 10.jpg (145.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Today I was told that they are going to take down the ball field fences...because....get this...my Innova rep sent them some info on Disc Golf. Somewhere in that info included something about have water hazards...they're including building a pond on the property.

It's going to be a small pond, but a pond nonetheless.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 737
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
I know you say "old ball field" but dont forget that at any time someone else might decide to reistate the use of said fields . . . if they are actually already not in use. You better consider that as part of your design or you will be scrambling down the road to alter it. Odds are the ball field will be used again sometime. I think someone inferred these baseball fields are "out of play".

EDIT: I am leaving this post up because I think it is often overlooked. Just because the use of the property is X one year, it might change so try and think about how things might change long term. Although this is another cirumstance where I should have read all posts before posting. I now see they plan to take down the fences and a city or county wouldnt do that unless the plans were to completely get rid of the fields.

Last edited by harr0140; 11-19-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 181
Cut a small hole (gap) in the fence if it is a baseball field. Make people hit the narrow gap or throw over. Almost like a mandatory overhand hole with a small bailout gap.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo1 View Post
Today I was told that they are going to take down the ball field fences...because....get this...my Innova rep sent them some info on Disc Golf. Somewhere in that info included something about have water hazards...they're including building a pond on the property.

It's going to be a small pond, but a pond nonetheless.
weak..... the fences couldve been a very unique challenge. especially once overgrown with vines. too bad.