Old 10-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Drop Zones

We are getting new signs made up for our 18 hole course. There has been talk of including drop zones on the signs. We have never used drop zones for doubles play, casual play, or the one or two tournaments we have had there. Out of Bounds on the course are roads, ponds, and a few creeks.

What designates that there should be a drop zone? The only few places I've seen drop zones are for areas where there is an "island green." We don't have any island greens, but some of the guys insist on creating a few drop zones on the course. I don't see a need for them, just play OB normal: playing from where your disc was last in bounds with penalty stroke.

Other than island greens, do you see a need for drop zones on the course with ponds, creeks, and roads listed as OB?

Here is the course link if you have any interest: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4729
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2016, 11:55 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 27.7
Courses Played: 635

Drop zones are used where there's a required carry over an OB area where players might regularly lose discs so they have an option to move forward to the drop zone with penalty and not throw over it. They are also good when the OB area is blind and players may not be able to see where the disc was last inbounds. If the OB line is parallel to the fairway, marking a drop zone is a more fair way to give the player a lie when it's hard to see when the disc was last inbounds as it flies along the parallel OB line. Drop zones are also marked for mandos, especially when playing from previously lie is too much of a penalty (almost always).

Old 10-31-2016, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH

For all the reasons Chuck mentions, I find drop zones are superior to using "last in bounds" whenever possible. Takes all the guesswork out of determining the next lie for a player who throws OB, and in many cases, lessens how punitive an OB area can be.

I wish more courses would be more proactive with drop zones. I think it can lead to more creative design than simply drawing some lines and calling it OB.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Drop zones are used where there's a required carry over an OB area where players might regularly lose discs so they have an option to move forward to the drop zone with penalty and not throw over it. They are also good when the OB area is blind and players may not be able to see where the disc was last inbounds. If the OB line is parallel to the fairway, marking a drop zone is a more fair way to give the player a lie when it's hard to see when the disc was last inbounds as it flies along the parallel OB line. Drop zones are also marked for mandos, especially when playing from previously lie is too much of a penalty (almost always).
I agree with this. Our course has a few shots that require a carry over water, but it is not a significant distance and there are also safe landing areas off to the side at a shorter distance. We do not really have any blind landing areas either.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:56 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 27.7
Courses Played: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by zud00 View Post
I agree with this. Our course has a few shots that require a carry over water, but it is not a significant distance and there are also safe landing areas off to the side at a shorter distance. We do not really have any blind landing areas either.
Those who are asking you about drop zones should indicate why they want each one specifically other than just the fact DZs are an option where appropriate.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 124

I start with the thought that it sounds odd that players are asking for drop zones where they've never needed them in the past.

One downside to drop zones is that they create a familiar shot---the same long putt or approach that you end up throwing too often. So I'd ask, "Is there a need for it? Does it make the hole better?"

And with that said, sometimes the answer is "Yes." Our private course has 5 of them.