Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 PM

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 5
Question Disc Golf Country Club

I was throwing around ideas with some of my friends the other day, how many people would have any interest in a private club, semi high end, something like 50 dollars a month membership. Snack bar, club tourneys, etc. loosely based on a ball golf country club, but without all the WASP a-holes. Situated within about 30 miles from a major metro area. Maybe this type of place already exists but I am unaware of such a thing. I mainly want to see if this is idea appealing to anyone but me and my buddies. Thanks for any input yall can provide. Happy throwing.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 740
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
I would do it for sure to keep the course in good shape. However it would need to have multiple tees and multiple basket locations so that it was never set up the same. That would get old fast.

Not sure what the price point would be, but it better be a nice piece of property. I have a feeling if a piece of property exists like this it would be better suited to something other than disc golf, but if it was on a disc golfers property I would glady pay to use their property, but then again you are dealing with zoning issues too then.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:30 PM

Yeah we were thinking about the land. Maybe somewhere with rugged enough spots that the owner can’t/won’t run cows (we are in TX). But it would definitely have to have multiple tees and pin locations, maybe 36 holes. It would stay really clean and in great shape. Thanks for your excellent input my friend.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 18
http://www.twinparkscountryclub.com/
Check this out.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM

thats what i am talking about, thanks man.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 20
http://www.circularproductions.com/circle_r_ranch.html

They're down in Austin area/Hill country. Kind of like a membership place but more of a pay-to-play course. I think a country club would be cool in the area but with as many courses there are in the DFW metroplex, it would really have to bring something to the table.

Maybe two sets of 18s, the first with some water and scenic views and the other with some real par 4/5 holes. I know that a lot of the courses around the metroplex don't really offer the huge distance holes.

Just my $0.02
Old 03-25-2009, 10:06 PM

We were thinking about something longer than Harry Myers in Rockwall for the first 18, rolling hills and water, and then another 18 with lots of technical shots and deep woods. Also thinking about a driving range, putting green, grill/ snack bar. Possibly even cart girls selling drinks and food.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstockt View Post
We were thinking about something longer than Harry Myers in Rockwall for the first 18, rolling hills and water, and then another 18 with lots of technical shots and deep woods. Also thinking about a driving range, putting green, grill/ snack bar. Possibly even cart girls selling drinks and food.
Cart girls would be over doing it IMO. Maybe like a ball golf course have holes 1 & 10 positioned pretty close to the clubhouse or have a snack/drink bar set up at hole 10 and the clubhouse at hole 1.

Driving range would be expensive to start up but could be pretty sweet. "I would like 10 wraiths and 10 beasts please" I think that could make it kind of difficult. Unlike ball golf there are a lot more variables with the disc than a range ball. The only way I could see a "driving range" working is a big field and let them use their own discs. Maybe have some sample discs to throw that they can rent to throw around for a little bit and see if they like it before they buy it.

The putting green would be really cool. Just a bunch of baskets in a "putting only" area with various elevation changes and maybe an option to "rent the basket" for an extra couple bucks you could get the basket exclusively for 30 mins or something to work on putting.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I think the biggest issue would probably be upkeep of course and facilities. Mainly the course. I wouldn't mind a $5-$10 a round course or $10-$20 day pass to play both courses as much as you want. I really wouldn't worry about the facilities starting off.

At any rate... Putting way more thought into this than I would have guessed. I'm leaving now...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 102
Don't forget about the IDGC there near Appling.

There are lots of these types of things that pop up and they do very well. At the same time part of me feels that the beauty of Disc Golf is that after getting discs you can do it for free. So, besides amazing courses, what else are you going to offer for the membership price? I have a few ideas that I am working on at this point. I'll let you all know when I get them up and running.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
Don't forget about the IDGC there near Appling.

There are lots of these types of things that pop up and they do very well. At the same time part of me feels that the beauty of Disc Golf is that after getting discs you can do it for free. So, besides amazing courses, what else are you going to offer for the membership price? I have a few ideas that I am working on at this point. I'll let you all know when I get them up and running.
Membership fees would include, priority tee times, unlimited play, help pay for course upkeep and landscaping etc. yeah let me know how your ideas turn out, I am pretty sure that with the popularity of the sport growing like it is, a country club type facility would be very appealing to many folks. Best of luck to you.