Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
Chicago to Gulfport

So it looks likely that I'll be driving to Gulfport Mississippi from Chicago around Christmas, and I should have some time to play either on the way there or on the way back. I really want to play something in the 4 states down there I haven't played in yet: Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana, and I can't go too far off the direct route between here and there for time purposes. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by mashnut; 12-07-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 32
I would see if Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Jasper, AR is open during that time. Everyone that I know that has been to it says it is an amazing course. The only complaints are that it can be difficult to navigate, but one of the reviewers on this site has a detailed review that can point you in the right direction.

I don't know how far off your route it would be, there isn't an interstate anywhere near the area and the highways leading to it have to travel through national forest.

If you can't go there, stop in Little Rock and I might be able to show you around a course or two here (although my favorite is closed because of Christmas lights ) We have two 9-hole courses that have two concrete teepads per hole and two heavily wooded 18-hole courses that can be pretty challenging.

Overall, out of the Little Rock courses, I like Morehart and Burns Park-Blue the best. I can't wait 'til the Blue course opens again.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM
*Super Moderator*

Thanks! I'm starting to get this thing nailed down a little more. I think we're going to spend the 20th through the 23rd traveling own there. The tentative route I'm looking at is down to Memphis (I'd love to play Bud Hill, I'll have to see if that's a possibility), then over to Little Rock, and Down through MI/AR somehow to Gulfport. On the way back I want to make it in one day, so I'll try to find a few courses in Alabama to hit in the morning, then drive all day the 26th back to Chicago.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 131
HCR is a must play IMO. But make no mistake - it is in the middle of no where and it is a difficult(but not impossible to navigate). Also it is a huge hike and will take you 4 hrs min to play.

Bud Hill is also a great, great course. from a design standpoint it lacks very little. It has some really great holes and an almost nostalgic feeling to it - kinda like field of dreams for disc golf.

I would highly recommend both.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 131
Although I havev;t played it, my past research leads me to believe to that The Rez is yout best option in Miss.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 79
You can play Bud Hill, talk to FATBACKBOB on here and he will tell you more. Also in Bama I would hit up Bowers Park that is in Tuscaloosa. This is one of the best courses I have played. If you take I-65 back you should stop at Bowers first then a few choices if you want a open long range course play Athens Sportplex, or you can play a sweet mostly wooded course, George Ward Park in Birmingham.

You should really stop in TN and play Cedar Hill then into Bowling green to play Lovers Lane and Kereiakes Park.

What I am saying is take I-65 back it will be well worth it.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 AM
*Super Moderator*

I've played Cedar Hill and all the Bowling Green courses. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep em coming!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.6
Courses Played: 740
Mash is such a new course $lut.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 103
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
I am off work for the holidays starting dec. 20th and would be interested in playing a round or 2 with you. I am in meridian but about an hour and a half from both jackson and hattiesburg. Good courses in both locations and not too far from jackson is roosevelt state park in morton. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:14 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Mash is such a new course $lut.
I really am, and a new state whore, I'm really excited to play in 4 states I've never been to, it'll get us to 25 states played.