Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 AM

disk golf on ball golf courses' does it work?

ok here it is, are there any combo courses that work... what makes them work and what makes others fail? would like to get a list of combo courses and talk to the people running them. welcome any feedback thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 12:48 AM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 213
disk golf on ball golf courses' does it work?

Tupelo Bay SC (a small pay to play near Myrtle Beach)

They have to be relatively short golf courses. Usually Golf courses are there to make money, so adding a big metal basket to their pristine grass with out promise of brining in extra profits is not a popular idea.

Last edited by prerube; 12-12-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 36
Old English Golf course in English, IN. The dgers love it. Not sure who runs it though.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to hedfan1
There is a Ball Golf course that has closed in Brainerd, MN and from what I see, it could become a possibly sweet DG course. But it would need to survive on just DG revinue.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Edgebrook Golf Course in Chicago is an ok combo course, it makes for a long and open dgc but I've never had issues playing with the golfers there. Indian Springs in Trafalgar IN is a fun course with some elevation and water, and they did a nice job of putting 18 tees and pads on a 9 hole ball golf course to make 36 possible holes (L and R tees and baskets along each ball golf hole), I liked this one a lot. The ball golf course next to Hobson Grove in Bowling Green KY has a 9 hole dgc, it's another long and wide open one though. Little Bighorn Golf Club in Princeton IN is a very different set up. It utilizes the space between ball golf holes and next to the course, so it's got a lot of nice wooded holes mixed in with the long open holes, probably my favorite combo course that I've played. All of these seem to work just fine with ball and disc players sharing the space, I've never had an issue with it at all. Those are just the ones I've played, there are a bunch out there.

Edit: Forgot about Sun Valley in La Mesa CA, a little 9 hole golf course with some nice elevation and creative use of the trees and bushes to make some trouble around dg greens.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 737
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in Or. View Post
ok here it is, are there any combo courses that work... what makes them work and what makes others fail? would like to get a list of combo courses and talk to the people running them. welcome any feedback thanks
Are you a PDGA member because there is a thread over there about this very topic right now.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 317
In most cases, I think disc golf on ball golf courses works about as well as multipurpose football/baseball stadiums did.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:31 AM

not a PDGA member at this point, and in fact just joined the local club last month but I have been going to the meeting for about a year now. I don't play the tournie's,it's hard to get weekends off more of a rec player. I am a converted ball golfer, I love the sport both of them.

the local club had a course at our municipal golf course for about 6 monthes a couple of years ago but management had them pull the baskets. just want to know if it can work and how.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:34 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
One more extinct shared course: Emerald Isle in Oceanside CA, I never got to play it but I hear it was a great course with some fun elevation and water hazards. From what I hear there were no problems, but for whatever reason the HOA for the community the golf course was a part of decided to pull the disc golf course last year.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 111
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
There use to be a pretty nice one in Oceanside, CA. The course was great and worked well for a long time. Rumors are the reason the DG course is no longer there is because the HOA didn't like the DG crowd and required the management company remove the baskets if they wanted to renew their contract with the course.

"^ yeah what he said"