Old 07-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 5
Anyone have much luck trading face-to-face?

Over time, I've acquired around 100 discs through buying and selling on the marketplace. I have been able to pull off some trades here and make sales face-to-face, but I'd love to make trades face-to-face and avoid the postage/paypal costs.

Does anyone have any recommendations for finding others who want to trade? I have tried craigslist and local leagues so far with limited success...
Old 07-11-2014, 09:48 PM
<------ your ad here

Courses Played: 192
Hmm, leagues would've been my answer but sounds like you tried that already. Are you in a relatively rural or low-population area? If so, perhaps you could occasionally travel a bit farther than usual for a league in a larger city where you might find a more receptive crowd (as well as more people in general).

If that fails, I dunno, put on some clean clothes or brush your teeth or whatever else you're doing wrong that driving people away.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
^^ I agree. There is usually a guy at everyone of our major courses that sells discs near hole one. Ok maybe not all but Lewisville(rip old man), Crowley, and bear creek are all I can think of right now. A lot of our leagues have somebody as well.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 29
Yeah, the problem appears that you don't live in Texas. We trade discs all the time here.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Just a matter of finding a network of players. The more players you expose yourself to, the more likely you are to work a deal. That's where a league can come into play, or just going to the busiest courses at the busiest casual times.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 46
You could try posting on disc golf scene and trying to find local players that way. I've never had good luck trading in person, but selling and buying in person seems to be easier. I'd just try hitting up all the league nights and bringing your stash. Portage Lakes still does them on thursday I think.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
I was previously in a low-population area and moved to Massillon this summer. I made it to Portage Lakes doubles this week and sold a few, but no one was interested in trading.

Id just like to try out new stuff when I get rid of mine
Old 07-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 394
I would work with local leagues or park districts and set up something through them. If you start playing local leagues, you can suggest that first league of the month (or similar pattern) also be a disc swap night as well. Then people can bring some extras and see if they can get stuff they want instead. Over time, it may increase turnout as well. With the park district, maybe you can set up so sort of low key unsanctioned tourney/competition/tutorial/disc swap event. Then you have the publicity of the park district to back it up as well. I have way you can sell it these ideas, but it'll cost you a disc.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
You'd think that disc swaps at league nights would be more common. I suppose a reason they aren't has to do with the logistics of most weeknight leagues. A lot of people head straight to the course from work because there's no time to go home, and they only pack what they're going to be playing with.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:15 PM
<------ your ad here

Courses Played: 192
^Very true about after work leagues....maybe a weekend similar to what whitechocolate suggested might get the largest turnout/interest?