Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCDG13 View Post
What are some discs that preform well in low ceiling shot scenarios like 200-250 ft? Would an esp buzzz or N axis be good for such a shot?
The general rule of thumb is the faster the disc, the better at lower lines it will be. Part of the reason the Buzzz is so popular is that you can throw it on lower lines like a driver compared to something like a Roc that likes height to go far. So yeah, a Buzzz/Axis should be able to handle that if the ceiling isn't too low for the thrower.

Depending on the hole you could also throw a roller or even an airbounce too.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 24
Thanks Brother Dave! Could you explain what an air bounce is?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
If you contact the PDGA office, you usually can get those added if you want.
Perfect! Thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCDG13 View Post
Thanks Brother Dave! Could you explain what an air bounce is?
I can explain that I suck at them, lol. It's more of an old school frisbee type throw where you pull from high to low than high again with intentional nose up. The disc goes flying towards the ground but b/c of the nose up angle instead of being a wormburner it lifts up and climbs. It's a bit trickier to do with a golf disc.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
They tend to be quite a bit more subtle with a golf disc too, unless you're throwing a lid.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Courses Played: 4
How important is disc weight? Not i have a driver how heavy should it be. I am asking say you are replacing a disc how close to old disc weight do you buy. Was thinking about this thethe other day when looking for a Rhyno to replace my 173 i ended up buying a 175. Just wondering how close you experienced guys try and buy.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM

Are there any cons to using 1 mold in different wear stages for my over, stable and under slots. I went disc crazy when i started and have decieded to disc down been reading brother dave's thread on discing down. And have really decided on putting together as minimalist of a bag as i can.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkid View Post
Are there any cons to using 1 mold in different wear stages for my over, stable and under slots. I went disc crazy when i started and have decieded to disc down been reading brother dave's thread on discing down. And have really decided on putting together as minimalist of a bag as i can.
Nothing wrong with it. For beginners it's actually the better way to go. Easier to learn one disc inside and out as it goes through all stages of wear than to learn 3 discs for the different lines. By the time your disc beats in to a flippy stage you're so familiar with the overall flight characteristics that you can pick up a new one or a slightly worn in one and usually know exactly what they do. Gives you a lot of confidence in your shots.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkid View Post
How important is disc weight? Not i have a driver how heavy should it be. I am asking say you are replacing a disc how close to old disc weight do you buy. Was thinking about this thethe other day when looking for a Rhyno to replace my 173 i ended up buying a 175. Just wondering how close you experienced guys try and buy.
I think it's really important. I'm a noob, but here is my experience. One of my first discs was a 179g Z Buzzz that at first I couldn't throw well because it was too heavy for me. After a few months my arm developed enough to throw it well and its weight really fights wind well. It is almost like a short fairway driver.

I bought a lightweight Valkyrie (150g) thinking that would be better for my noodle arm than a heavier disc, but it turns over badly for me and I don't think it's OAT since I throw my other understable discs without turning them completely over like that. Today I bought a 165g Valkyrie and threw it a few times and it flies great. Weight is important IMO.

Also, since you mentioned the Rhyno, I like to go really heavy on putters for more solid feel and consistency. My approach putters (Challenger and Classic Roc) are lighter for more glide.

A few grams either way won't matter, but I think weight difference will affect performance more on drivers and mids than putters and approach discs.

Curtis

Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis_Valk View Post
I think it's really important. I'm a noob, but here is my experience. One of my first discs was a 179g Z Buzzz that at first I couldn't throw well because it was too heavy for me. After a few months my arm developed enough to throw it well and its weight really fights wind well. It is almost like a short fairway driver.

I bought a lightweight Valkyrie (150g) thinking that would be better for my noodle arm than a heavier disc, but it turns over badly for me and I don't think it's OAT since I throw my other understable discs without turning them completely over like that. Today I bought a 165g Valkyrie and threw it a few times and it flies great. Weight is important IMO.

Also, since you mentioned the Rhyno, I like to go really heavy on putters for more solid feel and consistency. My approach putters (Challenger and Classic Roc) are lighter for more glide.

A few grams either way won't matter, but I think weight difference will affect performance more on drivers and mids than putters and approach discs.

Curtis

I have always really liked heavy putters myself. May have to drop a few grams when i start driving them and see how it works.