Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
The point of the rule regarding a directional aide was to cover the case of putting something in front of the lie to aid in knowing where to throw. For example on a blind up hill shot. A second mini doesn't really fall into that category.

Though putting a second mini down is not going to help. If you are looking at the ground you aren't looking at the basket.
When I putt I generally find a spot on the ground and practice passing directly over that spot on my way to the basket during my practice putts. Even though I'm looking at the basket I find it helps me line up my shot by re-inforcing the vertical plain between the center of my body and the basket's pole. Just a trick I use. A mini would stand out better in my peripheral than a patch of sun/shadow or blade of grass.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 59
I need to read slower, I thought you were putting a second mini behind your first one. Putting it in front of your lie is a no-no (as already pointed out).
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
801.03 A: During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may directly assist in making a throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, or gauze) and medical items (such as knee or ankle braces). Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.
I have a mini that has an arrow printed on it. I always point it to towards the basket before taking my shot. I joke that it is to show me the way to the basket. Is that mini legal? BTW it was part of a players pack at a tourney a couple of years ago.

Rick G
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Birdie Member

How are you guys putting where you need help lining up with a basket. Point your toe or whatever at the basket and call it a day.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgz View Post
I have a mini that has an arrow printed on it. I always point it to towards the basket before taking my shot. I joke that it is to show me the way to the basket. Is that mini legal? BTW it was part of a players pack at a tourney a couple of years ago.

Rick G
Yes, that's prefectly legal. You just can't at any point advance on the fairway to place on object to give you a frame of reference.

The application of the rule is primarily for blind shots where maybe you want to set your bag or something on the ground to give you a reference point to aim for. The reason it's illegal is you're actually modifying the course ahead of your lie.

A mini with an arrow does not violate that rule and certainly gives you no extra advantage.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikodelhyzer View Post
How are you guys putting where you need help lining up with a basket. Point your toe or whatever at the basket and call it a day.
It's just my routine.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 25
What is an X Out disc that some retailers sell on discounts? Are these the same as miss prints?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMartin717 View Post
What is an X Out disc that some retailers sell on discounts? Are these the same as miss prints?
Not technically the same. Misprints are generally just that, discs with a bad stamp job. X-outs have something more physically wrong with them that excludes it from meeting the manufacturer's standards. Flecks of whatever on the plastic, misshapen rims, dents, bubbles and whatnot from the plastic not molding up properly. They're generally extremely minor and rarely affect flight and if you're not OCD they are a nice option for cheaper discs.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 PM

Okay I'm having difficulty making longer putts. It seems like it just floats rather than snaps. I can make the 35' consistently but once it's out of that range i can't seem to get it in the basket. When I putt it goes straight but slow and hyzers out bad..kinda like it was throwin like a roller for some reason. My uncle told me to come down by my hip with it sideways and then come up and straighten it as I putt it..

Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglespirit View Post
Okay I'm having difficulty making longer putts. It seems like it just floats rather than snaps. I can make the 35' consistently but once it's out of that range i can't seem to get it in the basket. When I putt it goes straight but slow and hyzers out bad..kinda like it was throwin like a roller for some reason. My uncle told me to come down by my hip with it sideways and then come up and straighten it as I putt it..
Once you get that far away you have to put some spin on the disc. Also a little more nose down than your close putts.