Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 AM

Good First Driver for my skill level?

I have been playing for only a few months now. I throw RHBH and my bag consists of the following:

Putters
3: KC Pro Aviar
GStar Dart (in my bag for warmup catch)

Mids
2: Z Buzzz
Z Wasp
Opto Fuse
Shark (no longer in my bag)

Fairways
Champ TeeBird
Champ Leopard

Driver
Champ Archon

I throw:
putters ~ 200
Mids ~ 230-250
Fairways ~ 250-265
Driver ~ 275-300

I have only recently started throwing my Archon again after setting it aside as one of my first purchases when I just started. When I throw my Archon it usually does not get the exact intended S flight pattern and goes straight, then fades left. I did however get one throw to go perfectly on the flight path and go ~ 350+ (this single throw has keep me trying to replicate it on the practice field, but I have yet to do so). I am not consistent enough with it to get over 300 at this time.

What would be another driver that I could try that is maybe a little slower, but similar in flight to the Archon? Also, I am strange and actually like the wide rim of the Archon and many other drivers.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by akray21; 07-21-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you want to buy a new disc to play around with I would check out the MVP impulse. Slower archon pretty much.

Technique wise I would work on getting your leo/TB out to 325'+ b4 you really even care about anything much faster.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 AM

I would think a Beast or a Valk if staying with Innova would make for a slower version of the Archon. Same intended flight path, but a little easier on the arm to get it there.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 26
teebird or an eagle. once you start throwing those about 350 then go to a higher speed. like a destroyer
Old 07-21-2014, 11:20 AM

If I should stick with fairways for distance until I get them out to ~325 should I invest in a TL, or are they too similar to the TeeBirds to have both? My TeeBird is a 174. I like heavier and more overstable discs to fight the wind here in Kansas. The wind scares me away from throwing my 169 Leo many times.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Plastic Counselor

yes or a lighter TB.

The buzzz and fuse could/can/do go that far as well

...and I used to throw my buddies dart at a baseball fence which measured 310'

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 07-21-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
yes or a lighter TB.

The buzzz and fuse could/can/do go that far as well
All my discs are over 170 (except my 169 Leo). Would getting some lighter discs really help that much for distance? How much distance would you suppose taking off say 6 grams would give me.

I love the dart, but it gets thrown around by the wind too much to use on the course...
Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Plastic Counselor

not much distance wise really just might be easier to see the full/designed flight of the disc and work on your control.

When your form improves lighter discs might go a little further but a few grams is not going to impact distance as much as it could impact how the disc flies for you which in turn could = more D.

I am not a fan of 150 class drivers but often you will find 168g-171g to fly a little "better" than max weight runs of discs.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by akray21 View Post
All my discs are over 170 (except my 169 Leo). Would getting some lighter discs really help that much for distance? How much distance would you suppose taking off say 6 grams would give me.

I love the dart, but it gets thrown around by the wind too much to use on the course...
Have you learned to use a hyzer release? This is kind of a crappy video but if you haven't messed around with the idea much it might give you some things to think about.

Long term I agree with Aim for the Chains, work on getting your TB and Leo out a little further. You do not need exceptional form to hit 320' with your fairway drivers, you could probably post a video here for form critique, get some ideas, then see that D after incorporating those tweaks and practicing them.

Short term I'd look at drivers in the speed 8-11 range that are more on the understable side and experiment with hyzer flipping them to help with headwinds. Some that come to mind are Amps, Valks, Impulses, OLS, Aries etc.

Dropping down in weight a bit will give you more glide too. Its pretty common for players to carry max weight fairways, and distance drivers in the 165-170 range. I carry some distance drivers in that weight range myself and I can hit 500', so its not just something "small arms" do either.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM
500 PDGA Certified Missed Aces Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 73
Get a Pinnacle Patriot, and thank me later.