Disc Golf Store
Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
I know this is ridiculously premature, but I can't wait to see if they can work the overmold into a driver design. It would be pretty awesome to see that alien type of glide on a faster disc. Looking forward to hearing more reviews on the Vector.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post
I know this is ridiculously premature, but I can't wait to see if they can work the overmold into a driver design. It would be pretty awesome to see that alien type of glide on a faster disc. Looking forward to hearing more reviews on the Vector.
I can't pretend to know what MVP is going to do next or what mad genius ideas Chad is stockpiling, but as I've said before, I'd be surprised to see an overmolded driver for several reasons:
1. Drivers already have very thin flight plates...This would make it tough to make a core piece that achieved significant weight reduction.
2. Drivers already have most their weight distributed to the outside
3. The wings are thin making it nearly impossible to replicate the basic mechanical/chemical locking design that MVP has used on the Ion and Vector.

So, will MVP make a driver like the Ion and Vector? I think not. Will MVP find some way to make a driver more gyroscopic than current designs? I'd put money on this...
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Today I will be testing my Vectors at a bigger open course(Cliff Stephens) in sunny 80 degree weather...
Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Today I will be testing my Vectors at a bigger open course(Cliff Stephens) in sunny 80 degree weather...
Some people have all the luck...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Birdie Member

I am not sure whats worse. Discspeed making me want to try out the Vector or sharing what the weather is like in his neck of the woods.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 PM

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I can't pretend to know what MVP is going to do next or what mad genius ideas Chad is stockpiling, but as I've said before, I'd be surprised to see an overmolded driver for several reasons:
1. Drivers already have very thin flight plates...This would make it tough to make a core piece that achieved significant weight reduction.
2. Drivers already have most their weight distributed to the outside
3. The wings are thin making it nearly impossible to replicate the basic mechanical/chemical locking design that MVP has used on the Ion and Vector.

So, will MVP make a driver like the Ion and Vector? I think not. Will MVP find some way to make a driver more gyroscopic than current designs? I'd put money on this...
That's are pretty weird argument, are you putting money on points 1-3 being irrelevant???
1: Since we have 150g high speed drivers I thiink there's enough to work with in this dimension.
2: True, but that doesn't mean that a more gyroscopic disc won't make a difference (and if you think it's pointless, why should MVP waste their time on it?)
3: Some drivers have a pretty deep rim, but this might be hard to overcome, donŠt know enough about the forces involved here.

Overmolding with the current rubbery plastic would not hold up on a sharp driver, so that would be pretty useless anyway. A fairvay driver speed 7-8 with the current rubber overmold should be attainable and would be wunderful IMO :-)
I don't know if other plastics are available that would get the same effect and would fit the demands for a speed 10+ disc, but if it is I'm sure MVP will get around to it in their own sweet time.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseley View Post
That's are pretty weird argument, are you putting money on points 1-3 being irrelevant???
1: Since we have 150g high speed drivers I thiink there's enough to work with in this dimension.
2: True, but that doesn't mean that a more gyroscopic disc won't make a difference (and if you think it's pointless, why should MVP waste their time on it?)
3: Some drivers have a pretty deep rim, but this might be hard to overcome, donŠt know enough about the forces involved here.

Overmolding with the current rubbery plastic would not hold up on a sharp driver, so that would be pretty useless anyway. A fairvay driver speed 7-8 with the current rubber overmold should be attainable and would be wunderful IMO :-)
I don't know if other plastics are available that would get the same effect and would fit the demands for a speed 10+ disc, but if it is I'm sure MVP will get around to it in their own sweet time.

For #1&2 I meant that a driver by the nature of it's shape has more plastic at the outside of the disc and a thinner flight plate. This leads me to believe that overmolding a driver would not have as dramatic an effect because it wouldn't be changing the gyroscopic properties of the disc as much as it does with a mid/putter. It might be useful to explore the possibility of a slow driver like an XL/Leopard because the overmold might work with that style of driver. In my original post I was thinking more of faster drivers.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 PM

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 2
Yeah, I was just tinkering with my drivers and I think it would be hard to get much effect, since a big chunk of the beefiest part of the wing would be taken up by the join. Having a heavier plastic in the rest (outer part) of the wing could hardly make that much of a difference (there's a limit to how dense/heavy disc plastic can be as well, if I remember correctly).

Anyway, my money is on MVP producing the ultimate control/fairway driiver!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseley View Post
Yeah, I was just tinkering with my drivers and I think it would be hard to get much effect, since a big chunk of the beefiest part of the wing would be taken up by the join.
Couldn't you just modify the join for faster drivers?

Instead of that one, fat nub, could they make it thinner with a few, smaller nubs, so that it would resemble a, uh, "ribbed" puzzle locking joint for our pleasure? Or maybe zigzag the joint?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 29
are these available on a pre-order anywhere other than Sun King?

although I suspect their website is incorrect it states that they don't ship to my postal code