Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Help Me With My Putts

I just don't understand. I was just doing a little bit of practice putting today and I made 10/10 from 10 feet, 10/10 from 15 feet, but then made 1/10 from 20 feet. Granted that 4-5 of those were bounce out but still.

I know what the problem is. The problem is that I low putt. So my question is, how do I work on getting the disc up the further away I am? No matter what I try, it always seems to dive or just fly to the left or right.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 9
Have you watched youtube videos?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Eagle Member

yeah, I watched the discraft one as well as some others
Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 86
I am not sure what putting style you use, but you will need to figure out what to adjust for distance. It might be that you need to throw your disc on a higher line, you might need to snap more the further away you get, you might just need to give it a little more power the further out you get. Whatever the solution is based on your style, that is what you should do. You might have to play around to figure it out. Putting is not an exact science but an art.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Eagle Member

yeah, I just spent like an hour and a half watching videos on youtube. I think I just need to practice more. If anyone else needs good videos here are some that I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYeN9YqAioM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw0cKXKkC5E

This ones just good for looking at form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-AwBEf12-k
Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Do you pitch putt? Pitch putting really makes a difference at around 20 feet. The other things to note is that you will make a lot more of those putts if you allow for the natural flight of a relatively stable disc. A lot of people throw "harder" and that messes up their rhythm. You'll need to adjust for a slight bit of hyzer at 20 but you want your rhythm and release to stay the same. Climo says Pros should be hitting 80% of those 20 footers and I've found that it is realistic to hit 70-80% even for an Am.

One other trick is to try starting at 30 and move in during practice. You'll be surprised at how smooth your shorter putts are if you've gotten a groove going from farther out.

Z
Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Eagle Member

I do pitch put that's probably why I had so many bounce outs, because I would throw it harder and hit the side of the basket instead of letting the natural hyzer let it fall in.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ZombayFrolfer
All my friends say I putt the weirdest. It took me months upon months to start learning to drive, but from day one I could putt. I have a really weird hand position and my form is kind of silly, so the best advice I could offer you is just do what feels more comfortable and try out different putters. I was using a Star Aviar for awhile but got rid of that hulking beast for the dart. That thing goes two directions. straight....and straight. I throw from the bottom of the chest and kind of roll the disc off my fingers and it works well up to a good 25-30ft.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: LHBH
try squatting down and throwing from inbetween your legs, this will give you the lift you need. a lot of people use it putting uphill. dan beato shows it in his putting vid.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 14
muscle memory...stand about 10 ft from basket and shoot 5 shots right after another, do this about 3 times, step back 5 more feet and do it again if you get more then 50% stay there for 3 more times...if you miss alot go back to 10ft instead of 15ft, increase your distance away from the basket each time you make all of them, go back down if you miss more then half, it helped me today anyways, im gonna do that for about a half hour each day and see what I get...I got pretty consistant from 20ft out and on