Disc Golf Store
Old 12-27-2010, 01:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 420
Bayouace, I'm definitely tempted to try and get both Flanacher and Highland in one day; as opposed to fitting in the Acadiana courses. Thanks for the info; like Tallpaul said that is definitely good stuff. Mad DGCR props!

After spending the last 2 hours scouring the courses in the south, I really do want to check out both Austin and DFW, but I just don't see how I am going to fit it in my schedule. I am going to the Texas Bowl in Houston on Wednesday, so everything is revolving around that.

I think I'm just going to take your advice, Martin, I know you have excellent taste in good courses. And I also had a blast showing you around, I think you saw the best we had to offer and then some. I wish Forest was around to find our discs in the snow...
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2010, 02:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
As for south LA-

Highland is a quick round if you know the course. Most tees aren't marked, so if you don't know it then it becomes a hassle - and like ace said the map isn't correct. Flanacher is great but its out of the way. It's about 25-30 min detour north of I-10.

Acadiana is fun as well, though there's some real tricky spots that are hugely helped by a spotter.

There's a new course in city park in new Orleans that's supposed to be good as well and it's right off the interstate, so that's an option as well.

PM me with what time you were thinking about playing highland, there's a small chance i can swing a round tomorrow if it's earlier in the day.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
As for south LA-

Highland is a quick round if you know the course. Most tees aren't marked, so if you don't know it then it becomes a hassle - and like ace said the map isn't correct. Flanacher is great but its out of the way. It's about 25-30 min detour north of I-10.

Acadiana is fun as well, though there's some real tricky spots that are hugely helped by a spotter.

There's a new course in city park in new Orleans that's supposed to be good as well and it's right off the interstate, so that's an option as well.
I think we'll find a hotel by Flanacher after playing in Mississippi, then we can just head south and then west to Texas. It looks like all the courses you mentioned would be right on the way then...

It is tough to choose which courses I want to play; they are pretty much all rated 3's across the board. But a Quick round, with missing/rearranged tees, and hurricane damage? Highland doesn't sound very good anymore. Thanks for the input, seriously.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 280
How far into Texas are you gonna get??
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldsCoolestGuy View Post
How far into Texas are you gonna get??
Not far man, not far. Looks like we are going to be hunkered down in Houston for the majority of the week, then heading back. If we can hit up shawshank or Lindsey as well, I'll be happy. And hopefully an Arkansas course or two.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hurricanes took out some trees at Highland. It is still fun, but a few holes are less protected and thus easier. 5, 7, 11. With the course map you can find the tees.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
In case you have not seen it yet, here is a good thread on the Houston courses: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ght=oak+meadow

As metioned in the thread, Oak Meadow is a private course that is generally considered one of the top courses in Houston. Let me know if you want to play it and I can guide you and get you on the course legally.

Also worth mentioning is Winwood, which is about 20 minutes from Oak Meadow (20 minutes is considered close in Houston terms). The course has vastly improved over the past year so take that into account when researching what people have said about the course over a year ago.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:09 PM
* Ace Member *

That sounds like a great plan, JRW. I'll have to make sure we get to those.

Also, for anyone out there with a travel tag, I am going to be pissed if I drive through 4 states without unloading mine!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDriveBadPutt View Post
That sounds like a great plan, JRW. I'll have to make sure we get to those.

Also, for anyone out there with a travel tag, I am going to be pissed if I drive through 4 states without unloading mine!!!
I have a 2010 travel tag, and I can meet you at Windwood on Thrusday afternoon. I pmed you my phone number

Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 6
What did you think of the Rez? Huh, HUH?