Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Birdie Member

the only thing i can add is a flask of whisky for the false sense of warmth (and aiming juice).
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28.9
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Chances are they have to use the score card provided by the TD.
Is there a rule requiring me to use the one I'm given?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28.9
Courses Played: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx_roc View Post
the only thing i can add is a flask of whisky for the false sense of warmth (and aiming juice).
Might as well keep hydraded on the inside also.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 73
The posts above hits the nail on the head. Here are my strategies, which basically revolve around doing everything you can to keep your bag and discs dry so you always have a dry disc to pull out and throw while your competitors are having release issues on their wet discs.

Bring a big umbrella, but remember it's for your discs not you. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep your bag covered the entire day.

Wear a waterproof jacket that doesn't restricted your throw too much plus whatever else you need to keep you dry/comfortable. Hand warmers can be a big part of that. This way you can leave your umbrella over your bag and comfortably walk around to find your disc, check your lie, check out a line, etc. while you leave your umbrella over the bag and it stays dry.

Have lots of dry towels. Put extra in the car so you can restock between rounds, when the course plays back by the car, or whenever it's practical. I usually use one at a time. One is the first towel that wipes the disc. It gets the bulk of the water off plus mud, grass, etc. The 2nd towel gets the excess moisture that the first towel was too wet to soak up and leaves the disc very dry,

Always make sure a disc is dry before putting it back in your bag. If you do this consistently and have your bag covered there's no reason you shouldn't be able to pull out a dry disc for every shot. But once you put in a wet disc the other discs get wet, the sides of the bag get wet, and then your stuck dealing with wet discs and trying to dry off whatever you can right before a throw.

Additionally if you can either scotch guard your bag or get a rainfly then you should really be able to keep your discs practically bone dry.

Other than that, focus on throwing control shots. Between wet footing and moisture on your hands, full power shots can go bad quick. Like other above have stated, everyone is going to make mistakes in the rain. If you can just play safe and minimize/avoid those mistakes then you have a big leg up on the field.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
Is there a rule requiring me to use the one I'm given?
The rules are not 100% specific to this, but I think it can be inferred that the scorecards you pick up are the ones that must be turned in (if they are not outright lost).

http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-r.../80502-scoring

And as such I would also say the rules say the score should be kept on the scorecards supplied.

But I cannot for the life of me see any TD make an issue over you using another solution between picking up and turning in. Especially if it is done to keep the integrity(both in physical and content terms) of the supplied scorecard intact.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx_roc View Post
Just remember that this is not a legal option if it is a PDGA tournament.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 AM

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Hand warmers in each pocket, or inside gloves if you're wearing them. They keep your hands warm and dry.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
The rules are not 100% specific to this, but I think it can be inferred that the scorecards you pick up are the ones that must be turned in (if they are not outright lost).

http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-r.../80502-scoring

And as such I would also say the rules say the score should be kept on the scorecards supplied.
Rule only requires first person listed to pick up the group's scorecard(s) and the scorecard to be signed and turned in at the end of the round, it doesn't require the group to use the scorecard(s) during the round.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 51
When asked once if he had a problem playing in the rain, Vijay Singh answered "only if I'm the only one it's raining on."

Whoever above said not to forget everyone's playing in the same rain is right. The worst things happen to me playing in the rain when I try to do too much.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
I normally use a Caddy seat for tournaments, but if its raining I will take off the caddy seat and use a stool for my bag. I also prefer wearing shorts in the rain, it seems easier to dry-off my legs than drying off a wet pair of pants.