Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
The Random People You Play With

I have found that one of the most enjoyable things on the disc golf course is playing a round with some random person that you just happen to run into. I have played with so many different people but I wanted to share some of my favorites and hear some of your favorites as well.

The obvious one is playing with a regular at the course or one of the local pros. They know the course so well and are so amazingly good that you cannot help but learn something from them.

I once played with this random guy who was a computer teach for a school. He was just learning to play and was one of those people that only stopped talking to throw or watch you throw. That made for a very interesting round that I actually played pretty well.

Today I played with a very nice lady from Sweden who was only here in the states to get some rounds in before the tournament season began over there. She definately kicked my butt, however I did get a birdie or two that she did not, that always makes you feel good.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 256
Major props to all the random people who have let me crash their round when I show up to a new course. Your a big help! Not only is it fun to play new courses, I find it more fun to play new courses with new people. Thanks to everyone... but especially:
-Kyle and Nick at DeLa for showing me the way.
-The crew at Oak Grove in Stocton for hookin it up fat for an out of towner.
-The crew at Tom Pearce in Grants Pass for showing me how green Oregon is.
DSCJNKY
Old 03-12-2009, 10:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
I think it also depends on the course, the type of people you randomly meet. At the easier courses its often the beginners and the crazier(sometimes drunk/impaired) and more diverse people you will meet. At the harder courses its more seasoned vets which some are still crazy although more predictable.

I met these two rednecks that were totally drunk at one of the easier courses around me and they were best friends and kept physically fighting/yelling unspeakables each other and yelling at their dogs. They were amusing at best but sometimes frightened me. They had just learned about disc golf and really enjoyed throwing my discs. At another easy course I played with another complete drunk and he wouldn't listen to me that my discs are glow and don't need leds taped to them, but he spent half hour trying to tape leds to my discs. He also wouldn't shut up and throw which really annoyed me and that was definately my longest round ever at that course. I've also met some really nice people at these easier courses and made some friends.

I randomly met up with Swatso and his buddy last sunday at one of the better courses and had a good time, I think he ended up beating me by one. Rematch Swatso! I can only think of one person I didn't like playing with at a better course and he was on my card the second round of a tournment and was drunk and wouldn't shut up and throw. We had a huge backlog behind us because of him. I was so happy he ended up last and talked like he knew it all.

I don't mind playing with most people when I show up alone, its typically some of the drunks that don't shut up and throw that annoy me. Why can't some people just shut up for a second and throw the disc and then continue to walk and talk? I don't want to be rude to them, but they are killing me because it hurts my feet to just keep standing, but as long as I'm walking or moving around my feet are fine. I've got really flat feet that actually suction to a pool deck when I walk! The army won't take me, thank goodness.

Sometimes I like to go to a course to throw multiple shots just for practice and its kinda hard to play with someone doing that. Im not much of a talker especially when I first meet someone, but when someone asks me about something I will answer and I sometimes shock people with my blunt answers and honest opinion. One of my friends calls me silent bob. lol.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 50
Send a message via AIM to _.-Dut-._
Agreed, the random rounds with random people is always pretty cool.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 87
I don't like playing with random people, because there's always a chance that they WILL be angry drunks. Also, a couple times I've joined up with someone and then found out after a couple holes that they're a smoker... and I really really hate cigarette smoke. I'd rather just avoid the tsuris.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I think it also depends on the course, the type of people you randomly meet. At the easier courses its often the beginners and the crazier(sometimes drunk/impaired) and more diverse people you will meet. At the harder courses its more seasoned vets which some are still crazy although more predictable.

I met these two rednecks that were totally drunk at one of the easier courses around me and they were best friends and kept physically fighting/yelling unspeakables each other and yelling at their dogs. They were amusing at best but sometimes frightened me. They had just learned about disc golf and really enjoyed throwing my discs. At another easy course I played with another complete drunk and he wouldn't listen to me that my discs are glow and don't need leds taped to them, but he spent half hour trying to tape leds to my discs. He also wouldn't shut up and throw which really annoyed me and that was definately my longest round ever at that course. I've also met some really nice people at these easier courses and made some friends.

I randomly met up with Swatso and his buddy last sunday at one of the better courses and had a good time, I think he ended up beating me by one. Rematch Swatso! I can only think of one person I didn't like playing with at a better course and he was on my card the second round of a tournment and was drunk and wouldn't shut up and throw. We had a huge backlog behind us because of him. I was so happy he ended up last and talked like he knew it all.

I don't mind playing with most people when I show up alone, its typically some of the drunks that don't shut up and throw that annoy me. Why can't some people just shut up for a second and throw the disc and then continue to walk and talk? I don't want to be rude to them, but they are killing me because it hurts my feet to just keep standing, but as long as I'm walking or moving around my feet are fine. I've got really flat feet that actually suction to a pool deck when I walk! The army won't take me, thank goodness.

Sometimes I like to go to a course to throw multiple shots just for practice and its kinda hard to play with someone doing that. Im not much of a talker especially when I first meet someone, but when someone asks me about something I will answer and I sometimes shock people with my blunt answers and honest opinion. One of my friends calls me silent bob. lol.
i've found there's really 3 types of disc golfers:
Pros,
people out there looking for something to do/a place to drink or 'smoke'/socialize,
and the people who want to have a good time but are genuinely interested in improving their game.

myself, and i'd imagine most of the others here, fall into the third category.

i can't say i've played with any pros, but i have played with people in the second and third groups, and most of them are accomidating and/or pleasant to be around/play with.

it's the smaller subset of the second group; inconsiderates, drunks, and potheads, that are unpleasant to be around or unnecessarily hold up everyone else's game either because they're too busy amusing themselves or they have no semblance of etiquette.

save for my home course, damn near everyone else i've met has been like the rest of us in the third group; just there to have fun/get better.

Last edited by REDARMY; 03-12-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via MSN to srm_520 Send a message via Yahoo to srm_520
Playing with random people is alright until they start talking to themselves or their dog tries to hump your leg as you're throwing....I'm just saying....it could happen....

Fortunately, most golfers out their are pretty laid back and cool - so a random round is okay...as long as again; their is no leg humping...
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 12
all the tourney winners ive played with smoke and are some of the best ambassadors of this game so speak for yourself maybe next time instead of runnin from the cypher hang around you might learn how to play
Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
I had one of my most enjoyable rounds with a random guy I met one time. He was an older guy- early fifties or so and he had an old beat up bag with no more than 5 old discs in it. I play that course alot, and I knew he wasn't a regular so I figured it would be an easy win.
Wrong! I've never seen someone with so much control. He threw a beat DX Gazelle and an old Roc with such mastery I was awestruck. Tunnel shots, annys, hyzers, whatever the shot was, he could shape the line he needed. He was the epitome of the savy veteran type you gotta watch out for. Great guy too, he was a professional blues drummer who actually toured with BB King at one point and he had some great stories.
He beat me by one stroke at my home course, too. I was impressed and humbled

Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega SuperSloth View Post
all the tourney winners ive played with smoke and are some of the best ambassadors of this game so speak for yourself maybe next time instead of runnin from the cypher hang around you might learn how to play
i'll assume you're talking to me, (if not, i apologize) so let me address that post:

i can't 'speak for myself'; i don't smoke substances other than tobacco:

i don't know what 'running from the cypher' means:

i don't object to smoking 'other substances', on the golf course or otherwise. i play with plenty of others who 'smoke' and i have no problem with them or their behavior, as long as i'm not downwind. i was referring to the subset of 'smokers' that use DG as an excuse to go somewhere and 'smoke' for the hell of it, oblivious to the others on the course that are trying to play a quicker game.

the fact that you suggest i might learn 'how to play' from this other particular group of people means you are either: an *******, an avid 'smoker' yourself, a person with either a poor sense of humor or poor reading comprehension, or all of the above.

let me reiterate my position: i have no problem with people 'smoking' on the course or otherwise. but there exists a group within that group that clogs the play on courses with their behavior, and that is the part of that group i have a problem with. i'm sure there is plenty i can learn from the former group (and i HAVE learned a bit from them so far. the best person i've ever played with was a 'smoker').

Last edited by REDARMY; 03-13-2009 at 12:20 AM.