Old 04-10-2009, 03:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Emotional Roller Coaster Of A Near Ace

So at this point in my short disc golf career I have only had one ace. It was a glorious moment and of course I was jumping for joy. Since then I have had two near aces, the most recent one well that is the one that I want to talk more about just to make sure I am not alone in the emotional roller coaster that I experienced.

So I caught up with a guy who had just thrown on the first tee and asked if I could play with him and he agreed. I ripped a shot that looked pretty good but thought nothing of it until he said that is going to go in. I started to get all excited as the disc turned right to the basket and my heart lept for joy as it hit solid chains and then it just kind of flopped onto the ground right next to the basket and my heart sank. Wow. As we walked to our drives this guy I was playing with said something to the effect of Man I was sure that was going in. I think you hit just about every chain on the basket and I cannot figure out how it came out. He was right too. I guess the disc had a little too much speed when it hit the chains but still to literally look like it hit every chain on the basket and then not go in. Talk about an emotional roller coaster, it threw me off for a bit the rest of the round.

So here is an interesting question in light of that. Would you rather your disc just normally land for an easy bird or would you rather hit the chains and not have your disc go in but still have the easy bird?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 12
thats a good question i guess hit chains then at least u know you were on target.but i would much rather lay-up and tap the bird then hit the basket but shoot par, which happened to me once when i hit the top which gave it some extra juice and then it went sailin away. btw way ive still not got that first ace so those misses for me or super heartbreakin ,but still enjoyable. i loved it when i literally jumped for joy only to see it kick out before i hit the ground or the time when i fist pumped while lookin down only to look up and realize it hit top and was still going, i think the worst are the skip ace misses those have got to be the quickest roller coaster emotions ive ever felt (oh crap yes yes nooooooooooooo)
Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 34
Speaking from experience, I rather it just layup next to the basket. My friend was off to the side as a spotter for a blind hard right hole. I hear it hit chains loudly and my hearts pumping. Until I look to my buddy and he's shaking his head no. Tells me it hit dead center and bounced off just enough to clear the basket. I feel your pain. I mean a drop in 2 is a beautiful thing but you can't help but think "soooo close"
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 123
At the 2007 Red Rock Show tournament here in Texas, nobody hit an ace on Saturday. The ace pot was around 500 bucks and so on Sunday, you knew everybody was at least thinking about it for their last round. I stepped up to a 260 foot hole with a big tree right smack dab in the middle of you and the basket. I pulled out my favorite champ leopard and released a big anny shot. As it left my hand it felt good, but in the air I knew it was a sweet shot. It swoops down toward the basket and slams the middle of the chains. I saw it hit the bottom of the basket, and jumped up and yelled...I was super pumped! A $500 ace!

That was when the one guy on my card who I guess was watching more carefully then the rest of us who were celebrating gently informed me that after dropping in the basket, it bounced up and flopped over the rim. I found my disc literally under the cage when I walked up to it for the don't hit your head deuce.

So, to answer your question, I would much rather NOT hit the chains and get the deuce if it isn't going to stick when it hits.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.3
Courses Played: 183
It's all about how much you enjoy the adrenaline That lift you feel when you hear the sound of chains is priceless IMO - no reason not to savor it, even when it doesn't stick.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 79
When you hit the chains and it doesn't stick, that would mean that your shot was very, VERY close to perfect except for some small variable(hi, low, left/right AN INCH or too much speed/not enough chains, etc) ........ I think thats WAY better than a shot that skids up to the basket. These shots are off by a foot or more in one direction or another. Plus the sound of a disc hitting grass compared to the "CHING" ??!!!!! NO CONTEST!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

This is one of few aceable holes at J Park...........a 251 ft open shot except for two cedars and fairly heavy brush behind.......... what would you do????

Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 14
high anny...if you can make it over that brush to your left enough dunno where the tee actually ends so kinda hard to judge it...looks like a spike hyzer won't work becuase of the trees..you might get lucky with a straight shot with a overstable disc in hopes of it dieing off before it clunks those trees in front of the basket..lol
Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Witnessed a RH flick go in(Tim J, local pro), i usually take a second shot with a big ol' anny shot when we're playing casual........ I smoked a low hyzer in BETWEEN the two trees for my first ace at that course last week...... Cashed a hundy and won Dubs too

here a pic from father back so you can see the tee.....

http://www.discgolfscene.com/coursepictures/4792_l.jpg

Last edited by CaptainAnhyzer; 04-10-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 31
Does noone else play the 1-5 club? I would rather hit the chains and bounce out, cuz then at least I might get a couple bucks from by group, depending on who else is in the club.

Hole 6 at my home course, cornwallis, is basically a blind hard right dogleg with trees all through the middle and lining the "fairway." The hole is pretty short though. I hit chains very solid here once and thought I aced, but sure enough I walk up and my disc is 2 feet from the basket. Still, I'll take a tap-in 2 on that hole any day. There were no spectators, so no $s, but this helped convince me to join the 1-5 club